Michael Jackson's death: the saddest moment in the history of Internet

ladyinhislife

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's death: the saddest moment in the history of Internet
Wednesday, 29 July 2009 11:09

It might not come as such a surprise that average happiness peaks on Election Days and again on Christmas Days, at least by one reckoning. What’s new is that such a thing can be measured by analyzing vast amounts of daily, real-time verbiage.

That’s what two University of Vermont researchers have done for an article published recently in The Journal of Happiness Studies. The UVM researchers, computer scientist Chris Danforth and mathematician Peter Dodds, looked at 10 million blog sentences that began “I feel ... ” or “I am feeling ... .” They scored the words in the sentences, compiled averages, and looked for patterns, or mood swings — over the course of a year, or over the days of the week.

They found that the overall average score tended to be relatively high, for example, on Valentine’s Day and on weekends; low on Wednesdays, and on Sept. 11 anniversaries — and the day Michael Jackson died. The day of Michael Jackson's death is definitely the saddest moment of their research.
Besides blogs, Danforth and Dodds looked at pop song lyrics composed by Jackson and thousands of other artists between 1960 and 2007, highlighting Jackson’s “Billie Jean” to demonstrate their scoring method. That method uses 1,034 words assigned “valences” on a 1-9 scale in the Affective Norms for English Words system developed by psychologists. So, in the first line of “Billie Jean,” “She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene,” the only three ANEW words are “beauty” (which has a score of 7.82), queen (6.44) and movie (6.86). The overall average valence (score) for “Billie Jean” is 7.1 — as compared to 6.3 for “Thriller,” and 6.4 for Jackson’s songs overall.

Beyond Jackson, Danforth and Dodds found that the average score for pop lyrics declined — that is, became less happy — over the decades. “We see that the decrease in average valence for lyrics after 1980 is due to a loss of positive words such as ‘love,’ baby,’ and ‘home,’ and a gain in negative words such as ‘hate,’ ‘pain,’ and ‘death,’” they write.

Source:
mjportal.com

I don't know how the internet was doing (I was too broken to even look at it for like two days), but it was definitely the saddest day EVER.

Otherwise, interesting about that study in general. Especially about popular music becoming more and more negative.

I don't know how the internet was doing (I was too broken to even look at it for like two days), but it was definitely the saddest day EVER.

Otherwise, interesting about that study in general. Especially about popular music becoming more and more negative.

yep.. they talk about sex, bashing other people, and other themes which i think not "ear-friendly.."

Besides blogs, Danforth and Dodds looked at pop song lyrics composed by Jackson and thousands of other artists between 1960 and 2007, highlighting Jackson’s “Billie Jean” to demonstrate their scoring method. That method uses 1,034 words assigned “valences” on a 1-9 scale in the Affective Norms for English Words system developed by psychologists. So, in the first line of “Billie Jean,” “She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene,” the only three ANEW words are “beauty” (which has a score of 7.82), queen (6.44) and movie (6.86). The overall average valence (score) for “Billie Jean” is 7.1 — as compared to 6.3 for “Thriller,” and 6.4 for Jackson’s songs overall.

Can someone please explain this to me?

It sure was, and one people can never forget

Last edited:
It was the saddest moment of my life so far, with no doubt, I tell you with the hand on my heart. It broke my heart into pieces..I can't and I will never accept his death, it is the most unfair thing that happened...the most unfair..

Yup, saddest moment of my life. It's painful to think back to that night. :no:

I've just come fresh from watching the rage special on australian tv and it's really reinforced my measurements of Michaels audacious power and influence. With so much love, dedication and endurance from the people who loved him, was bound to come something that was going to match up to this incredibly elevated sense of admiration.
:(:(:(:(:(

Yup, saddest moment of my life. It's painful to think back to that night. :no:

I can't describe those moments when I read the new, that night when it happened. I can't describe the moments I lived looking at the memorial, when I saw the coffin there. That image I will never forget till the day I die. It was the strongest pain I've ever felt, it shattered my heart into pieces. I can't describe those moments. I've never cried so much in my whole life... it was as the tears would never dry

Back