Michael Jackson's brothers to perform at Jamaica's Reggae Sumfest

mickson177

Proud Member
Another tribute to Michael
http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090717/lead/lead1.html

Jacksons for Jamaica

Published: Friday | July 17, 2009

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer WESTERN BUREAU:
Thirty-four years after performing for a massive crowd at the National Stadium in St. Andrew, two of the 'Jackson Five' will return to Jamaica for Reggae
Sumfest 2009, the event organisers have announced.
Tito and Jackie Jackson will grace the Reggae Sumfest stage for the first time since their brother, King of Pop Michael Jackson's death, and the Summerfest Production chairman, Robert Russell, said there was a strong possibility the group's other members, Marlon and Jermaine, will share the limelight.
Tribute to jackson
The deal, which was brokered by New York journalist Vinette Pryce, a friend of the Jacksons, has been dubbed a major coup by the promoters who had taken a decision to dedicate the entire show to Michael after his sudden death on June 25.
"Michael was the most important entertainer in our lifetime," Russell said two weeks ago. "His departure was quite sudden and unexpected and has saddened all of us. It is only appropriate that a festival like Sumfest should pay tribute to him."
Fourteen days later, the promoters have hit the jackpot and have adjusted their line-up to accommodate Tito and Jackie, who will perform on International Night II, along with award-winning artistes Toni Braxton, Ne-Yo, Damian Marley and Nas.
Since word got out that the two were coming to Jamaica, Russell said he has been fielding calls from the international press.
Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture, Olivia Grange, who played a pivotal role in getting the artists booked, with the help of Prime Minister Bruce Golding, said Jackson matriarch Catherine has also expressed a desire to come to Jamaica with her grandchildren, but she is currently grieving.
Addressing at a press conference at the Hilton Kingston hotel in New Kingston yesterday afternoon, Grange said Jamaica would have the family that bore the world's best musician and that in itself was a great matchup.
The Jackson brothers will be flown to Jamaica from California, via private jet, and will be staying at a seven-bedroom villa on the north coast.

J5 with Bob Marley in Jamaica -1975
mjwithbobmarlymu5.jpg

looks like this pic was taken the same day at Bob's Tuff Gong studio
Katherine with Bob Marley
lee001alj1b38eafrc2.jpg

Last edited:
Michael was cherished in Jamaica (my homeland)................it was like he was ours...........it is great to see Jamaica as a country...rising to occasion and honoring him...

loving it

I wished his brothers had done more of this when he was alive instead of always waiting for him to come back to them.

Reggae music can be very homophobic..I dont think Michael would like the homophobic lyrics in a lot of reggae music. sorry but true.

I don't really want to see the Jacksons without Michael. When you look back at their performances it seemed like 99.99% of the talent contained in that group was Michael. Without him there really isn't anything left in the Jacksons/Jackson 5 to watch.

Learn the differnce b/w REGGAE and DANCEHALL music.

Thanks for making that clear jamgirl86!

As a Jamaican, this is kinda bittersweet for me, it was always my hope that somehow Mihcael would've come back to JA just once more.

Nice to read about this....

I hope Michael and Bob are together making music in heaven now...

I don't really want to see the Jacksons without Michael. When you look back at their performances it seemed like 99.99% of the talent contained in that group was Michael. Without him there really isn't anything left in the Jacksons/Jackson 5 to watch.

Ignorance in it's highest forms.

Back