Michael Jackson's Brothers React To His 'MTV News' Man of the Year' Honor

ginvid

Proud Member
I didn't see this anywhere.

On Friday (December 18), MTV News named Michael Jackson the Man of the Year, and not just because his death was the biggest story of 2009. In passing, he reminded us all of his formidable legacy — as a musician, a showman and a cultural icon. He revolutionized the world of music videos, wowed fans around the world and, somewhere along the way, helped a fledgling cable channel called MTV to establish a foothold in the world.

And for all those reasons — not to mention a few more — Jackson's surviving brothers think MTV News made the right call.

"I think it's great, because Mike was a pioneer," Jermaine Jackson said. "I really feel he put MTV on the map because of his contributions to music. You made the right choice, definitely."

Marlon Jackson agreed, though he added that Michael should also be remembered for something else — his charitable work, most of which he did not participate in because he knew it would earn him headlines, but because it was simply the right thing to do.

"There are so many other things too. Michael and the brothers, when we were the Jackson 5, used to go to children's hospitals, and that hasn't stopped," Marlon said. "And a lot of people didn't know about all the different charities he paid for — a lot of celebrities, when they had passed and could not afford to bury themselves, he would pay for it. The Lord puts you in the position to help others, and that's part of helping others."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1628603/20091218/jackson_michael.jhtml

Since they had to have this "award", of course MJ is the best and only choice.
The fact that he donated to many charities will begin to be realized by
people other than his fans, friends and family, as well as his contribution
to (kick ass) music.

Victory; who? Jackie? :giggle:

Last edited:
wow. paid for peoples' burial. that hits close to home.

thanks Marlon for telling us that.

yes..MJ is the best.

Nice article. MJ covered the costs for one of the Temptation's Funerals. David Ruffin I believe.

Yep. MJ paid for a lot of former Motown guys' funerals. Sadly, a lot of the pioneering Motown artists ended up broke. I know for sure he paid for David Ruffin's funeral in '91, maybe Eddie Kendricks too.

Yep. MJ paid for a lot of former Motown guys' funerals. Sadly, a lot of the pioneering Motown artists ended up broke. I know for sure he paid for David Ruffin's funeral in '91, maybe Eddie Kendricks too.

that's what so baffling. MJ was able to take care of the affairs of so many, since soo many years ago. of course he could only gain more wisdom, over the years. and yet, in the prime of his life, media would portray him as not smart at business, not wise...and some would believe the media. i could only think of the frightening amount of knowledge MJ had to have had, in the later years. this is proof of his standing empire. solid proof.

Berry Gordy described him as 'knowing', even when he was little.

Nice article. MJ covered the costs for one of the Temptation's Funerals. David Ruffin I believe.
i heard that too,the thing about michael he didn,t publicly give money to charities,he did it privately,because he got more happiness through just the giving and seeing people happy,so different when you see other celebrities,don,t get me wrong they all give but it is so publicised,
i hope you all understand what i mean,

i,m so please he got man of the year,

way to go my darling michael.

My mom was looking at some old Jet magazines (she was finally throwing things out) and she came across the article of a woman who went to Jet to thank MJ. They ran a story about a little boy who was shot and killed. They said MJ contacted them (they did not have to approach him to ask for money) and volunteered to pay for the funeral and he did it very quietly. The mother was very grateful.

so happy his brothers are speaking out about what michael did for people yes he paid for david ruffin funeral because david didn't really have much after death michael did a lot of celebs and people

Back