Michael Jackson Voted Number One the Grio’s Top 10 Black Solo Pop Stars Of The 1980s

billyworld99

Proud Member
June is Black Music Month. The Grio compiled a slideshow tribute to their top 10 favorite solo superstars of the decade. Check out their picks and see if your favorite 80s performer made the list.

The 1980s were the decade of the multifaceted pop star. The top artists in music dominated not just the airwaves, but music videos and live performance. It was a time of excess — but also brilliant craftsmanship.

Performers like Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston and Tina Turner (just to name a few) have all has decades of success but in the 80s they were arguably at the peak of their powers as cultural phenomenons.

In honor of Black Music Month, we’ve compiled this slideshow paying tribute to our top 10 favorite solo superstars of the decade.

Check out our picks and see if your favorite 80s performer made the list.

gas1021778004bro.jpg

1) Michael Jackson
No surprises here. Although Jackson held the 70s down with the Jackson Five and his early solo work, it was in the 1980s that he became the unquestionable ‘King of Pop’. He sold more records, won more awards, and captured more headlines than any other artist that decade. The moonwalk, the single with sequined glove — it all started here. The decade and music as we know it, would never be the same.

2) Prince
Arguably the greatest pure musician of the 1980s — this shy, pint-size but overtly sexual hybrid of rock star and funk God was prolific and profoundly good. At his ‘Purple Rain’ peak he had the hottest song AND movie in the country. When we think of Prince at his best, we think of the 1980s.

3) Whitney Houston
The late Whitney Houston burst onto the scene and won America’s heart in the 1980s. Her squeaky clean image would eventually be corrupted, but that one of a kind voice behind soaring anthems like “The Greatest Love of All” and dance hits like “How Will I Know?” is still the gold standard for any female vocalist looking to make a splash.

4) Janet Jackson
‘Ms.Nasty’ finally emerged from the shadows of her brothers and became a superstar in her own right with the classic 80s albums ‘Control’ and ‘Rhythm Nation 1814′. Her syncopated dance moves and catchy singles were pop perfection but also tended to have subtle messages about female empowerment and racial harmony.

5) Tina Turner
This soul legend made one of (if not THE) greatest musical comebacks of all time in the mid-1980s. She packed stadiums and rose to the top of the charts with “What’s Love Got to Do With It”. But more importantly, she provided an inspiring example of how someone can rise above adversity to even higher heights.

6) Lionel Richie
Starting with “Endless Love” in 1981, Richie provided the romantic soundtrack to the 80s. An unlikely MTV star, Richie turned out three massive hit albums and is still getting paid off the royalties from his catchy #1 hits. His look may be dated but his voice is timeless.

7) Stevie Wonder
Before you grab your pitchforks and decry us for putting Stevie so low on this list — keep in mind that his BEST work was in the 1970s. Still, in the 80s he put out plenty of his most beloved hits. Including: “I Just Called to Say I Love You”, “Ribbon In the Sky” and “That Girl”. His music might have lost some of its edge in the 80s but none of its power.

8) Rick James
The “Super Freak” bad boy of funk reached the height of his popularity in the early to mid-80s. Now best known as a Dave Chappelle punch line, back in the day everybody got down to Rick’s monster jams. And he was a soulful balladeer too — just listen to his work alongside Teena Marie if you don’t think we’re serious.

9) Bobby Brown
It’s unfortunate that Brown’s constant legal troubles and tabloid-dominating relationship with Whitney Houston overshadowed his remarkable success as a performer. His 1988 blockbuster ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ album was chock full of hits and made Brown one of the best loved acts of the decade. And don’t forget his contribution to New Edition!

10) El DeBarge
As the sweet-voiced front man of the seminal 80s R&B group DeBarge, El had so much promise. Before drugs nearly destroyed his career, he parlayed his oft-sampled vocals into an underrated solo act.

http://thegrio.com/2013/06/07/black...s-of-the-1980s/#s:michael-jackson-dont-stop-2

It's a good list, I think. Not only for MJ being at #1 but I also agree with #2 and basically the rest of the list seems OK to me as well. MJ, Prince - what a decade the 80s were!

MJ at no. 1 is no shocker, but I'd say Stevie or Lionel!

From my Australian perspective, and what I remember of the 80's (apart from the performance of my football team) my list would exclude a few of these who I don't remember making as much of an impact off (US) shores. I missed the whole Prince thing... and was never interested in Janet J. Whitney, Lionel and Stevie would of course be recognized by anyone anywhere and have certainly stood the test of time. Theirs and Michael's songs are still played repeatedly on my favourite MixFM radio station here in Adelaide (Michael at least 2 or 3 times a day! Yay!) They stand the test of time, passing of decades and span different generations of fans (well, Michael certainly does!)

Back