Michael Jackson: The Greatest Singer Ever…Really?- NME article

claudiadoina

Proud Member
First I didn't want to sart a new thread about this but I am so fu:censored::censored:cking angry

Michael Jackson: The Greatest Singer Ever…Really?
So Michael Jackson has topped our poll of the Greatest Singers Ever. Ever. Really?

Jackson’s pipes had some fine moments during his early career. ‘I Want You Back’, ‘I’ll Be There’ and ‘She’s Out Of My Life’ were all brilliant displays of youthful soulfulness and heart.

But it’s clear that for about 20 years towards the end of his career Michael Jackson’s voice was a parody of what it had formerly been. It had disappeared up its own backside, full of weird whoops, ghostly shrieking and so many vocal ticks that it deserved its own definition in the medical dictionary. Or, in fact, perhaps it did. I think it was called ‘Shamone-itis’.

Out of the list, my personal favourites are Kurt Cobain whose ghostly howl was profoundly affecting, like he was emoting every vowel...

...and David Bowie, who also sometimes pushed himself into parody, but whose best vocal performances lurch from cooingly gentle to matter-a-fact honest.

Here's the full Top 20, as voted by NME.COM users:

1. Michael Jackson
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Elvis Presley
4. Axl Rose
5. John Lennon
6. David Bowie
7. Robert Plant
8. Paul McCartney
9. Stevie Wonder
10. Aretha Franklin
11. Matt Bellamy
12. Ray Charles
13. Jim Morrison
14. Bob Marley
15. Elton John
16. Kurt Cobain
17. Steven Tyler
18. Mick Jagger
19. Marvin Gaye
20. Tina Turner

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?b...e_greatest_singer_ever_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
:mat::mat::mat:

Last edited:
I somehow expected them to be sour losers. I say sour losers, because snobish magazines like NME never liked MJ, so for them seeing him topping their poll is like painful losing.

If he had said his favourite was Freddy Mercury I could understand that because he was an awesome singer (he's my other favourite singer on the list), but Kurt Cobain, David Bowie? I like them both, but as great singers? Please....

And to say Michael didn't have a great singing performance since his childhood or She's out of my life once again highlights what's wrong with all these snobish music magazines and their snobish critics: they don't know anything in depth about Michael's career (if they did they wouldn't say something so utterly ridiculous like that), yet they criticize him.

But I don't get upset about it. Like I said I kind of expected them to make some negative remark about Michael. They are all too predictable. However it's the audience and people who will keep Michael's legacy alive and they do!

just a case of sour grapes...they asked the public to vote....and the public voted....

Michael still had amazing voice in This Is It. I bet he could sing She's Out Of My Life just as good as 20 years ago (if not better). Of course, there are few songs which doesn't have much vocal in it (like some songs in Dangerous album). But that doesn't make Michael's voice less spectacular. So, my advice is simple - just don't read that piece of sh*t and go on, like Michael said ''Stand up, stand up, you got to move, shamone!''

F them!

edit: can you provide a link to that article? do they have a comment section?

Right. As if, before all the hoopla he was discovered as a prodigious child with a voice and moves that belied his years. He helped his brothers and their group win local talent shows and the prestigious Apollo's Amateur Night contest. Berry Gordy didn't want anymore child acts, but Michael won him over with his singing and performing abilities.

I laugh at the people who complain about Michael's singing abilities. I laugh at their stupidity.

Not gonna click on that article, as I don't want to read someone's bitter bitching and give them more page hits.

Not that their opinion matters to me much but it makes me sad the fact that if it was someone else, some other artist who get to be at the first place, they wouldn't have said anything.Even if that artist was someone who can't hit a note if their life depended on it, they would have accepted it. But somehow they think that they have the right to dismiss everything conserning Mike. I don't understand. Mike was an amazing singer who diserves to be on the first place.Even if you are not his fan, if you have ears and you are an objective person, you can't deny this. But for some reason those people refuse to give MJ props at anything and keep treating to the that people who voted him like their are delusional or something.
By the way, Davie Bowie and Curt Kobain weren't great vocalist, objectively speaking, so only this proves to me that the guy doesn't know what he is talking about but he is to pretentius and snob to actually admit that Mike diserves to be in that place.

"Really?" Misinformed much NME?

Maybe someone should send them this.

MICHAEL JACKSON’S Voice.

Seth Riggs (famous vocal coach) about his voice in the 80’s.

He’s a high tenor with a three-and-a-half octave range.
He goes from basso low E up to G and A-Flat above high C. A lot of people think its falsetto, but it’s not. It’s all connected, which is remarkable.

As he grow older.
Vocal timbre: Spinto, Countertenor, Baritone

Technically, Michael has one of the finest voices in contempary music. His first advantage is the natural speed of his voice. He has the ability to sing in staccato, and sing complex rhythms in perfect timing. The best recorded example of this is the title track from his 1979 album, Off The Wall.
Michael possesses a 4 (!!!) octave vocal range. (Christina Aguelira has a 3 1/2 octave range, Whitney 3, just to give you an example of great voices). His voice goes from two E's below middle C, to two B's above middle C, or 44 notes.

This is an EXTREMELY rare range amongst adult male singers. Essentially, Michael is able to reach octaves that other tenors cannot attain with their natural voice. His voice is NOT falsetto, as many people believe. Of course, MJ does use falsetto, but this is the range of notes he can sing in full voice. If you listen to the butterflies acapella, you can hear that all those high notes are in full voice and not falsetto.

So glad he doesn't share the air with such horrible jealous people anymore, these 'nme' 's. If there's one thing I am slightly at peace with post June 25, it is that, upon my word it is.

As for the singers who shouldn't have even been there, for they're not even good singers to start with: Axl Rose, David Bowie, Kurt Cobain, even Jim Morrison and Bob Marley (Bob had wonderful music, but not an impressive voice), or Mick Jagger... wow, all of these from that list were totally in vain placed on there. Where's Sam Cooke, Whitney Houston, even Steve Perry, where's spectacular Jackie Wilson, Otis Redding etc, etc...?

Wow, this botherd them so much that they had to write an article about it. You know what? I don't care. The poll is finished and MJ won. End of story.
All I have to say to the author of the article is this: hahahahhahahahahahahahha. In your face, you loser! :tease: You can moan and whine as much as you want, all it does is make you look like an idiot. And did I say hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah? Oh. I did. :D hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

hahahahhahahahahahahahha. In your face, you loser! :tease: You can moan and whine as much as you want, all it does is make you look like an idiot. And did I say hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah? Oh. I did. :D hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

lmao!

Oh whatever. Why did they even add Michael to the poll if they were going to be so bitter and jealous about him winning? Michael Jackson never gets enough credit, except from the fans. All I have to say is Steven Tyler, really? Axl Rose? Mm, yeah ok. I don't understand this "parody of what it used to be" shit. I've never heard anybody say that about any singer. That's just stupid. Another ridiculous reason to throw Michael down. It's not right. If only a QUARTER of the singers today and even some of the artists on that list had a QUARTER of the vocal ability Michael Jackson did...

He could dance and perform but he could also sing. His voice was one of the first things I noticed and loved about him when I first saw him perform. One thing that always totally blows me away is in Man In The Mirror, when Michael sings, "And a one man's soul." You can feel the power and passion in his voice in just that one line. I'm blown away every single time I hear it. It's just incredible, he really nails it there. It's amazing how powerful he can make five words with his vocals. There's a few other examples in his other songs that I don't feel like naming right now.

Elton John should be farther up on that list as well (I know it was about the votes). That's my opinion.

What is NME anyway? Never heard of it. I honestly don't care what they think either. Look at who's #1 regardless of what those idiots (or that idiot who wrote the article) think(s).

New musical express its a rock, indie type mag.the sort that hate mj. Suck it up nme.

Perhaps they have no musical ear? - Just a thought.:cheeky: Stupid NME article.:angry:

From 7.20-7.45 is why Michael Jackson deserved to win this poll.

First of all, I can't believe Aretha Franklin is so far down the list. And where is Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, if we are going to be talking about the greatest singers ever? I don't listen to the last three, but there can be no denying their talents.

They shouldn't be surprised at these results. They selected these choices and let the users vote. It's out of their hands who gets picked and so they don't really have the right to say what is right and what is wrong. They should have made their own list then.

Who is Matt Bellamy?

Oh they're not happy about it? The man had a 4 octave range, could hit A flat above high C. He had more range than Roy Orbison, who Elvis called the greatest singer in rock and roll. On a technical basis alone he is easily better than the competition. That doesn't even touch the emotional qualities.

Oh, people are people.. stupid people are stupid people. Of course they had to say that. How can they keep hurting like they did when he was here and now act like he was alway as great as he actually was. Idiots, all of them!!
we know, everyone know, they even know that this man is the best we'll ever have.

First of all, I can't believe Aretha Franklin is so far down the list. And where is Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, if we are going to be talking about the greatest singers ever? I don't listen to the last three, but there can be no denying their talents.

They shouldn't be surprised at these results. They selected these choices and let the users vote. It's out of their hands who gets picked and so they don't really have the right to say what is right and what is wrong. They should have made their own list then.

Who is Matt Bellamy?
Matt Bellamy is the singer from Muse. The greatest rock band on Earth.

thank you, I already found the link in the main thread about this poll a few hours ago and commented

I understand being upset at the magazine for their stupidity. But let's not get carried away and use this as a reason to bash other artists.

Axl Rose, Bob Marley, and David Bowie all had fantastic voices. If you guys are not familiar with an artist and a body of work, might I suggest look them up and objectively looking at them instead of just assuming they are terrible because MJ has to be so great. Denouncing other artists just to make yourself feel better about MJ, or just to lift MJ up is no different than NME and their antics.

Axl, Bob, and David all were great for many of the same reasons MJ was great. Their voices were unique, very dificult to imitate, instantly recognizable, and emoted so much emotion. Their voices moved people.

Can you imagine anyone else singing Redemption Song? Can you imagine someone else singing Major Tom? Can you imagine someone else singing November Rain and it still being the same song?

this is just NME's way to say "hey, look how Indie I am, I'm so Indie I'm gonna explode, this result has nothing to do with me" :lol:

Of course they're gonna write articles like this if MJ wins, those snobs :smilerolleyes:

Last edited:
I understand being upset at the magazine for their stupidity. But let's not get carried away and use this as a reason to bash other artists.

Axl Rose, Bob Marley, and David Bowie all had fantastic voices. If you guys are not familiar with an artist and a body of work, might I suggest look them up and objectively looking at them instead of just assuming they are terrible because MJ has to be so great. Denouncing other artists just to make yourself feel better about MJ, or just to lift MJ up is no different than NME and their antics.

Axl, Bob, and David all were great for many of the same reasons MJ was great. Their voices were unique, very dificult to imitate, instantly recognizable, and emoted so much emotion. Their voices moved people.

Can you imagine anyone else singing Redemption Song? Can you imagine someone else singing Major Tom? Can you imagine someone else singing November Rain and it still being the same song?

Bravo! :clapping:

So true that there are many great vocalists that deserve to be praised. They may not be my cup of tea, but I recognize their talents. Honestly, I find this kind of poll meaningless. How to judge a great vocalist? There are so many criteria. May I say they are all very talented singers who give joy to people.

The writer of the article clearly intended to be provocative. He knew fans of Michael will flock to his blog to defend Michael; thus giving him more hits.

I'm immune to this kind of senseless trashing. I don't feel angry anymore. Just ignore them and move on. I actually pity the writer for his ignorance and jealousy and the readers who are misled by him.

Bravo! :clapping:

So true that there are many great vocalists that deserve to be praised. They may not be my cup of tea, but I recognize their talents. Honestly, I find this kind of poll meaningless. How to judge a great vocalist? There are so many criteria. May I say they are all very talented singers who give joy to people.

The writer of the article clearly intended to be provocative. He knew fans of Michael will flock to his blog to defend Michael; thus giving him more hits.

I'm immune to this kind of senseless trashing. I don't feel angry anymore. Just ignore them and move on. I actually pity the writer for his ignorance and jealousy and the readers who are misled by him.

I know this is OT, but I love your siggy, he looked so cool in the TDCAU video. I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I think the Brazil version is his best ever music video.

Idiots. Really! So MJ was only a good singer as a child? What a stupid article - and what respect they have for their own readers!

Back