Michael Jackson: The Collection [discussion]

adamschoales

Proud Member
Just picked up a copy yesterday since it was on sale for a decent price (and needed to get the Bad SE anyways, and a replacement invincible). The packaging is fantastic and (almost) all the discs are the Special Edition versions.

The interesting bit is that for some reason the included version of "Thriller" is neither the Special Edition nor the Thriller 25 reissue. Having said that, I have yet to figure out if they used the masters from the Special Edition, the T25 edition, or the original CD release... the linear notes don't mention any re-mastering so its *possible* it is an unremastered version. Either way, it is very strange that they chose to include this version when everything else was the special edition...

Needless to say, well worth my $25.

Just picked up a copy yesterday since it was on sale for a decent price (and needed to get the Bad SE anyways, and a replacement invincible). The packaging is fantastic and (almost) all the discs are the Special Edition versions.

The interesting bit is that for some reason the included version of "Thriller" is neither the Special Edition nor the Thriller 25 reissue. Having said that, I have yet to figure out if they used the masters from the Special Edition, the T25 edition, or the original CD release... the linear notes don't mention any re-mastering so its *possible* it is an unremastered version. Either way, it is very strange that they chose to include this version when everything else was the special edition...

Needless to say, well worth my $25.

I have the collection to. It's so annoying it doesn't have history on it, starting with scream obviously. That album has some mega MJ hits, why it's not included is beyond me.

HIStory's a double album, half greatest hits - that's why it's not included.

Sony want people to buy the two disc album seperately, rather than just include HIStory Continues.

There was a Thriller Special Edition..?

I have this one, kinda sucks that there are no HIStory in it. Shame.

EDIT: YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THIS, ADAM, YES?
The-Collection_Michael-Jackson,images_big,24,88697536212.jpg

yup. thats the one. OTW, Bad, and Dangerous are the "special editions" but thriller is just the regular one.

There was a Thriller Special Edition..?

I have this one, kinda sucks that there are no HIStory in it. Shame.

EDIT: YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THIS, ADAM, YES?
The-Collection_Michael-Jackson,images_big,24,88697536212.jpg

wow, thats slightly differen't to mine. On dangerous i have the original artwork with the stuff coming out of the side, you know, the inner sleeve from the vinyl.

wow, thats slightly differen't to mine. On dangerous i have the original artwork with the stuff coming out of the side, you know, the inner sleeve from the vinyl.

Yes this is true. The dangerous artwork is the original artwork (but it is listed on the back that it is the special edition).

It does look good and I've been very tempted to buy it,but I already have the all the cds in the collection. Needless to say I probobly will buy it one day though :lol:

People forget that it was most likely a release to promote Michael's comeback......starting with This Is It!!!!!!!

Any way, is the Thriller identical to the original one?????

Hey Adam, send me like a 10 second snippet of Beat It in a PM and i'll tell you which master this comes from - original, SE or T25 :)

Don't worry, found a copy ahh.. elsewhere XD

Basically it's more hotly mastered than the original or 1990 versions, however not as hot/clipped as the "better sounding" 2001 SE or T25
Here goes a comparison pic of the waveforms - 1990/Your Version/2001 SE. You'll see better if you make the pic larger.

2hoedjr.jpg

The other albums might be mastered differently than the SE as well or Invincibles first pressing but i don't think they'd put time into that for a collection like this. I can look if you like?

Yes this is true. The dangerous artwork is the original artwork (but it is listed on the back that it is the special edition).
I have the same one you have.

It's funny, I had no idea there was a Thriller special edition. I have all the CDs, but my Thriller is not "special edition", only the other CDs.
Is this the SE?

michael_jackson_thriller_special_edition_album_cover.jpg

I've never seen it. They don't sell that version here in Norway. Only the "normal" one:
2334957631_06b4ffed53_o.jpg

(with no Disc Logo)

Yea the SE pic of Thriller you put there is the slipcase's artwork, the insert in the jewel case has the same pic as the one you have

It's funny, I had no idea there was a Thriller special edition. I have all the CDs, but my Thriller is not "special edition", only the other CDs.
Is this the SE?

I've never seen it. They don't sell that version here in Norway. Only the "normal" one:

(with no Disc Logo)

Yes, i have that one that you have of thriller. I love the artwork on the back though. So iconic. But im not sure about the front, the pic with the tiger is better.

I Need to get myself a copy of the SE. Damn.

Anyway, still think its sad how The Collection doesn't HIStory.

Sony made HIStory CD1 a single disc release and they should do the same for HIStory CD2.

And T25 mix of the album was horrible.

Don't worry, found a copy ahh.. elsewhere XD

Basically it's more hotly mastered than the original or 1990 versions, however not as hot/clipped as the "better sounding" 2001 SE or T25
Here goes a comparison pic of the waveforms - 1990/Your Version/2001 SE. You'll see better if you make the pic larger.

2hoedjr.jpg

The other albums might be mastered differently than the SE as well or Invincibles first pressing but i don't think they'd put time into that for a collection like this. I can look if you like?

Thanks for looking into it. I still think the SE is the best of the bunch as it was handled by both Swedien and Steve Hoffman. Whoever did the 25 edition just decided to turn everything up.

Sony made HIStory CD1 a single disc release and they should do the same for HIStory CD2.

And T25 mix of the album was horrible.

Yes, T25 was pretty bad. Though, ironically, the vinyl sounds really great, and actually isn't as loud as the original pressing I have.

Is this the SE?

(with no Disc Logo)

Definitely worth looking into. The Special Edition is great. Sounds great, nice bonus tracks, great all around. Though just so you know, a lot of the time they now sell the Special Editions WITHOUT the slipcase (but it will still say special edition on the packaging somewhere). Which is a shame, as the slipcases are very nice. That's the number one reason I never got around to purchasing the BAD special edition, as I wanted the slipcase version.

Still very strange that its NOT included in this package...

And lets not forget there's two NEW Thrillers out there: the Japan Mini LP (which I think is just the SE) and something in the new "Bluspec" discs... which also is likely the same.

The Blu Spec is also SE of Thriller.

I hope we get a 5.1 mix of Thriller one day. Its been talked about many times. Swedien isnt high on the idea. But being Cirque is now doing an MJ show, they will be mixing all of MJs music in 5.1 for the shows. Hopefully we can get this released.

The Blu Spec is also SE of Thriller.

I hope we get a 5.1 mix of Thriller one day. Its been talked about many times. Swedien isnt high on the idea. But being Cirque is now doing an MJ show, they will be mixing all of MJs music in 5.1 for the shows. Hopefully we can get this released.

Well the 5.1 of Thriller is DONE its just not RELEASED.

As for the Cirque stuff, I presume we'll see a soundtrack, just like LOVE so hopefully that too will show up in DVD-A as 5.1

Back