Michael Jackson 'The Book' portrait eBay auction ends unsold, no bids

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
6a010536c12963970b01347fbc0c2a970c-250wi

An oil painting of Michael Jackson called "The Book", which was put up for sale on the eBay auction website about 10 days ago and touted as the only one for which the late King of Pop has ever posed, has gone unsold.

There appeared to be no bidders for the 50-by-40 inch portrait, whose listing had suggested an opening bid of $2.75 million and a "buy it now" price of $5.4 million.

The painting, Australian artist Brett-Livingstone Strong, shows Jackson in a Renaissance-era red velvet jacket and seated on a stool on a checkerboard floor at at his Neverland Ranch, beside a table holding a vase of flowers, while holding a book that is "significant in his life."

Above him is a sweeping curtain. Behind Jackson's right shoulder is a statue of Peter Pan, the legendary boy that refused to grow up and a character the singer, who died last June, had always admired.The title of the book is not shown. The flowers represent "Jackson's love of nature," the auction says.

"Thank you for giving someone else the opportunity to own this beautiful painting of Michael," an unnamed viewer of the eBay listing wrote on the website. "Although this item is out of my price range, it was a pleasure to view this painting on your auction."

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/2010/...isted-on-ebay-for-54-million-goes-unsold.html

Who would buy this?

Its total kitsch, overpriced and shoddy for 5.4 mill.

Michael was manipulated with these so-called artists who just foxed him with such tasteless portraits and dared to ask hundreds of thousands of dollars for this...

Michael loved this type of art and had many pieces like this so yeah Michael is a type of person who would buy this. Why do you always have to be so rude and negative?

Michael loved this type of art and had many pieces like this so yeah Michael is a type of person who would buy this. Why do you always have to be so rude and negative?

I am not negative, but criticizing those people who have been exploiting Michael, if you are positive with that, ok.

I would never exploit MJ for my own personal gain - Id call it - being a legacy keeper (look at the street artists, they are the real artists-painters and many of them would paint for MJ for free, it would be an honour for them and then any holders of such a painting would sell it, at least what was so "extraordinary expensive" to paint such a painting and sell it to MJ? Its double sale, first to MJ and then at the auction,....).

All of a sudden everybody is selling MJ stuff :doh:

Last edited:
I can't stand greedy people. 5 million for what? Your "art" or for the fact that your exploiting the greatest entertainer in history's death?

The art does look cute but I am not taking a mortgage on something like that. Maybe he should have started it at a few hundred thousand dollars and provide proof like a photo or something that proved that Michael posed for him.

I am not negative, but criticizing those people who have been exploiting Michael, if you are positive with that, ok.

I would never exploit MJ for my own personal gain - Id call it - being a legacy keeper (look at the street artists, they are the real artists-painters and many of them would paint for MJ for free, it would be an honour for them and then any holders of such a painting would sell it, at least what was so "extraordinary expensive" to paint such a painting and sell it to MJ? Its double sale, first to MJ and then at the auction,....).

All of a sudden everybody is selling MJ stuff :doh:

MJ posed for the painting but HE NEVER BOUGHT IT HIMSELF. It was sold to an Asian business man or company after it was finished. MJ never own it.

That painting is nice but $5.4 million is way too much.
Hopefully it will be one display somewhere. It's a lovely portrait.

The painting should be housed in a museum with other mj paintings and memorabilia for fans to enjoy.It was just to expensive and the price tag reeked of greed,If he was truly intrested in selling the piece,he should have put it in a specialty Art auction and not on Ebay,It's rare for people to fork such insane amount of money for a portrait they've not actually seen.

Dude..5.4 million dollars? Is that guy crazy, we're living in a damn recession!
All I can say is:

"Salvation army tomorrow Bill. You find good stuff don't you, Tito? You're going to be hittin' them soon, when the depression hits ya ."

^
|
That's where I will be searching for MJ gear, since its the only place pass June 25 that doesn't ask outrageous $$ for MJ stuff. :p

I remember some guy paid $24,000 for Paul McCartney's birth certificate a few years ago at an auction. I thought Ebay was for people selling junk. I don't think somebody would send 5 million to some unknown person selling there, lol.

Back