Michael Jackson royalties up 70%

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
PRS for Music, the organisation that represents the UK’s 65,000 composers and songwriters, announces a 70% increase in Michael Jackson’s royalties since his death.

Over 415,000 albums were sold in the first four days following the announcement in America alone, and 2.3million songs were downloaded worldwide.

Jackson wrote many of the 100 songs he recorded including Jam, Billy Jean, Bad, Smooth Criminal, Black or White and They Just Don’t Care About Us. Since his death, Man in the Mirror royalties have increased by 1039% and Jam 1037%.
Top 20 Most Popular Tracks:
Rank

Song % increase in 12 mths
1 Man in the Mirror 1039%
2 Jam 1037%
3 They Don’t Care About Us 874%
4 You are Not Alone 718%
5 Human Nature 483%
6 Leave me alone 402%
7 Another part of me 370%
8 Liberian Girl 321%
9 Remember the Time 261%
10 Smooth Criminal 254%
11 Thriller 243%
12 Earth Song 211%
13 Bad 140%
14 Dirty Diana 136%
15 Heal the World 129%
16 Black or White 112%
17 The Way You Make Me Feel 99%
18 You Rock My World 98%
19 Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough 92%
20 Rock with You 81%
Source: PRS for Music

Interestingly, Billie Jean does not appear on the chart (up just 42%) but the track was the most played song pre- Michael Jackson’s death (double that of Thriller) illustrating a broadening in the use of his repertoire than when he was alive.

The PRS for Music findings also analysed what media played his songs and fount that TV had the biggest increase at 118% and online 72%. The ‘This is It’ film released last year boosted TV figures together with the help of the X Factor contestants who released ‘You are Not Alone’ as their charity single at the end of last year.

Category % Usage Increase
1 TV 118
2 Online 72
3 Public Performances 61
4 Radio 33

Source: PRS for Music

PRS chairman Ellis Rich said: ‘These figures are a tribute and a testament to the lasting iconic quality of the songs Michael recorded, many of which he wrote or co-wrote and will no doubt ensure he will go down in history as one of the greatest artists of all time. It’s fantastic that we can continue to listen and enjoy his music, and great news for the many song-writers who worked with him.’

http://www.funkyfogey.net/2010/06/music-michael-jackson-royalties-up-70/

Not surprised to see that every song featured in This Is It is on this list. Goes to show that the films opened a lot of people's eyes to other songs by him.

Amazing, but... there is still missing something official and confirmed lets say by Sony, Forbes (despite their sh!ts)... you know... its important so that people/readers on the net/newspapers/mags could see these "numbers" and statistics!

I am very proud of the fact MJ wrote most of these songs on his own.

Amazing, but... there is still missing something official and confirmed lets say by Sony, Forbes (despite their sh!ts)... you know... its important so that people/readers on the net/newspapers/mags could see these "numbers" and statistics!

Right... There's nothing to rely on these days.. all the things from '100 important people of this year' to 'Bilboard charts'

Back