Michael Jackson Portrait by Warhol Fetches $1 Million at Sale

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Portrait by Warhol Fetches $1 Million at Sale

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=as9t6i.nCapM

By Philip Boroff
data

Aug. 19 (Bloomberg) -- A Michael Jackson portrait by Andy Warhol fetched more than $1 million :clapping:at an East Hampton, New York auction, according to the gallery that handled the sale.
Vered Gallery said it sold the painting to an anonymous phone bidder and declined to give the exact transaction price. The 1984 artwork had fetched $278,500 at a Sotheby’s auction in New York on May 13.
“A speculator outbid the collectors,” said Janet Lehr, a partner in the Vered Gallery.
Jackson died on June 25, aged 50.
To contact the reporter on this story: Philip Boroff in New York at pboroff@bloomberg.net;
Last Updated: August 18, 2009 21:38 EDT

I don't think it's particularly high for a warhol, but it is certainly a lot higher than the ale price it achieved in May!

The minimum bid was $800,000!

Oh, the high estimate was $10,000,000.

Some reports stated its 10 mil....

Anyway, it wasnt a portrait itself. Warhol scrawled only a few lines on the picture of MJ.

I would not pay 1000 dollars for that...:doh:

I got an original copy of the Time Magazine with this painting as the cover for a mere £7 on ebay a few months back. Beats £1 million!

I've read that it was to go for an estimated 7 million dollar. I love this painting, it's joyfull!

I got an original copy of the Time Magazine with this painting as the cover for a mere £7 on ebay a few months back. Beats £1 million!

LOL

Some reports stated its 10 mil....

Anyway, it wasnt a portrait itself. Warhol scrawled only a few lines on the picture of MJ.

I would not pay 1000 dollars for that...:doh:

whether he brightly colored an already still photograph he screen printed or not. his work is popularly emulated in our culture. its always gonna cost a pretty penny. imagine the cost of his more famous works. shit if i had the doe. its Warhol!

Back