Michael Jackson: Michael Songbook Released by Alfred Music Publishing

MsMo

Proud Member
Alfred Music Publishing releases the officially licensed Michael Jackson: MICHAEL songbook, featuring sheet music for every song on Jackson’s posthumous 2011 album of previously unreleased originals and collaborations.

The MICHAEL songbook is the album-matching sheet music collection to Michael Jackson's 2011 posthumous recording arranged for piano and vocal, and includes guitar TAB. It features an assortment of previously unreleased Jackson originals and collaborations with contemporary recording artists, including “Monster” featuring 50 Cent, “Hold My Hand” duet with Akon, and “(I Can’t Make It) Another Day” featuring Lenny Kravitz.

Michael Jackson, the beloved King of Pop, left an indelible mark upon the pages of music history and a legacy that to date still shapes the entertainment world. In tribute to the pop icon, a commemorative full-color mural comes included in the songbook that captures Jackson’s musical genius from every era of his celebrated career.

As part of Alfred’s ongoing commitment to improving our environment, this book is printed on recycled paper stock.

Michael Jackson: MICHAEL is now available for $19.99 at local retail music stores and at alfred.com.

Titles: Hold My Hand * Hollywood Tonight * Keep Your Head Up * (I Like) The Way You Love Me * Monster * Best of Joy * Breaking News * (I Can't Make It) Another Day * Behind the Mask * Much Too Soon.

ABOUT ALFRED MUSIC PUBLISHING
Alfred Music Publishing is the world’s largest educational music publisher. Alfred produces educational, reference, pop & performance materials for teachers, students, professionals & hobbyists spanning every musical instrument, style & difficulty level. Alfred’s home office is located in Los Angeles with domestic offices in Miami & New York as well as offices around the world including Australia, Germany, Singapore & the United Kingdom.

Since 1922, Alfred Music Publishing has been dedicated to helping people learn, teach & play music. Alfred currently has over 90,000 active titles. Alfred represents a wide range of well-known publications—from methods like, Alfred’s Basic Guitar, Alfred’s Basic Piano Library, Premier Piano Course, Sound Innovations & Suzuki, to artists like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Van Halen, Green Day, Michael Jackson, Sheryl Crow, Eagles, Cole Porter & George and Ira Gershwin, to brands like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, Rolling Stone Magazine & Billboard.

http://www.alfred.com/Products/Michael-Jackson-Michael--00-37273.aspx

The Official Online Team of the Michael Jackson Estate®

Oh, when I read the title of this thread I thought it was a songbook including all Michael Jackson's songs, not the ones from this "album"...

Although my excitement is all gone now, it's gonna be good to have the sheets of nice songs like Much Too Soon and Behind The Mask. Unlike the "album", I might buy this release.

Oh, when I read the title of this thread I thought it was a songbook including all Michael Jackson's songs, not the ones from this "album"...

Although my excitement is all gone now, it's gonna be good to have the sheets of nice songs like Much Too Soon and Behind The Mask. Unlike the "album", I might buy this release.

You can put "album" in quotes as much as you like, but that doesn't take away the fact that Michael is an album. ;)

You can put "album" in quotes as much as you like, but that doesn't take away the fact that Michael is an album. ;)

I think the poster means that he/she doesn't consider this an actual Michael Jackson album...As in, it's not his own creation ;) :)

I think the poster means that he/she doesn't consider this an actual Michael Jackson album...As in, it's not his own creation ;) :)

Well, IT IS Michael's album, whether some ppl want to acknowledge it or not. (even if you have doubts about 3 songs, the rest are HIS creation) :yes::D

AND I WANT IT!!

Well, IT IS Michael's album

Says who? He didn't put it together himself. It's a compilation of songs put together/finished by OTHERS. So, that's what we're getting at.

No disprespect intended, just wanted to clear that up. :)

That's great and should be done. If people actually go to lengths to compare Michael's imprint on pop culture with the way Mozart left his imprint- then at the bare minimum I'd expect all (please here me, Alfred publishing, ALL songs!) all songs to turn up in an acceptable piano arrangement. (and some arrangements are more 'exciting' than others)

A lot of music gets published posthumously, Michael Jackson is neither the first nor the last.

And most publishing houses are faced with the problem of 'what to call' a compilation of music that has been brought together from existing material. People should reread the 'wars' people fought over Mozart's Requiem- and who actually worries about that today?

Physical death kind of changes things here and there a bit.
I personally wouldn't despair over this. The fact that a publishing house still puts out physical music sheet is a GREAT sign in a world of 'the hottest beats on your PC, buy Jam Package 1"- it means that there is enough interest in Michael's music. Publishing house are not charities- neither in Beethoven's time, nor now. I constantly see 'support MJ for Grammy+ click here for most liked whatever' threads here- I hope Michael's music lives on.

^^^The fact that Michael's music becomes available on sheet music is wonderful- and I'm sure that just the thought of an 8 year MJ fan trying to play his music will put a huge smile on Michael's face. Death changes things, it simply does.

(and frankly to me it's a huge difference to worry if a posthumous song compilation is called an album, or not- I would be more upset if a publisher decided to erase "Who Is It" from an existing album- than to worry if 'Michael' is an album', or not.)

I also cringe when I see "The Best of Beethoven" CDs, but it doesn't change the music.

Well, IT IS Michael's album, whether some ppl want to acknowledge it or not. (even if you have doubts about 3 songs, the rest are HIS creation) :yes::D

AND I WANT IT!!

Me too! I do keep their sheet music together next to each other.
ConcertGrandinSalon2MJLollipop.jpg

(okay, granted, that's just an MJ notebook on my piano, but it means the same...lol)

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't think the simple use of quotes on the word 'album' could cause so much trouble. What I mean when using the quotes is that it's NOT a Michael Jackson album, the sequence of Invincible, as some people say (and annoys me so much). Others may say "7 songs are proven to be him, so it's a Michael Jackson album!", but many seem to forget that none of the songs on this "album" were released the way Michael himself left them! Just compare Michael Jackson's version of "The Way You Love Me" (on The Ultimate Collection) and the version included on 'Michael', at least for me, they've destroyed a simple but beautiful song by the genius himself. Now I wonder how the other songs like Hollywood Tonight and Best of Joy (which I think would be a beautiful acoustic song) were meant to sound if they weren't touched. So, for me, 'Michael' is a compilation of great unreleased songs that were destroyed, probably to "sell better" among the "non-fans", and includes 3 very poor songs (whether it's Michael or not, I find those songs awful) that shouldn't be released for a million reasons.

Well, that's it. Arklove already said it all before (thanks! :)), but I just wanted to make things clear. Sorry if I was rude or disrespectful at any moment.

Back