Michael Jackson Memorial High for new high school in Cramerton?

billyworld99

Proud Member
http://www.gastongazette.com/news/high-56353-cramerton-school.html

March 30, 2011 5:08 PM
Amanda Memrick
Gaston County Schools received more than 2,000 entries suggesting names for the high school in the process of being built in Cramerton.

The most popular choices included names like Lakewood and Cramerton.

Others had more unique suggestions, such as Tri City, Two Rivers and Weaver’s Mill. Some submissions paid homage to individuals with Ron Harper High, Reeves McGlohon High, Stuart Cramer High, Chuck Norris High and Michael Jackson Memorial High School.

A committee of parents, teachers and residents of Belmont, Mount Holly and Cramerton sorted through name suggestions Tuesday, weeding out the wacky and those too similar to existing schools.

The remaining names will be narrowed down even further at a committee meeting in April. That’s when they’ll cull the possibilities down to four or five names. Those names then go to the Gaston County Board of Education’s operations committee, who will make its recommendation to the full school board. School officials hope to have the name, mascot and colors of the new school decided by the end of June.

“We had so many names to choose from,” said parent and South Point High teacher Leigh Nance.

Her son could be among the first graduating class at the high school since they live in Cramerton.

Committee member Chuc Clubb said he wouldn’t choose Cramerton or Lakewood as the new high school’s name. Naming the school Cramerton could alienate kids coming from Mount Holly or Belmont. Lakewood isn’t a good choice because there’s already a Lakewood High in the state.

He hopes the students will have more of an input on the name.

“It’s the name that’s going to be on their class ring and their diploma,” Clubb said. “I think people need to let the kids have a voice in it.”

Construction of the three-story, 268,000-square-foot building is scheduled to be complete in time for the school to open in the fall of 2013. The school can hold 1,200 students and will be able to expand to 1,500 students.

The new high school will open with ninth and 10th grade students the first year and add grades 11 and 12 over the next two years.

You can reach Amanda Memrick at 704-869-1839.

That is a good idea that the school name could be Michael Jackson Memorial High. I wish it was that when i was in school:yes:

I don't like this idea, to be honest. Very depressing title for a high school, also. ...

'Michael Jackson High' would be :) but the word 'memorial' ... :(

Last edited:
Back