Michael Jackson...important role in academics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascal09

Proud Member
Reported by: Lindsey Ashcraft
Email: lashcraft@fox34.com

"The Gloved One" single-handledly "thrilled" us all during his reign as the King of Pop.

His signature style, coupled with his enigmatic, often controversial lifestyle allowed him to revolutionize popular culture and moonwalk his way into academia.

At least that's according to two Texas Tech librarians who've combed through more than 100 databases to find scholarly articles written about the legendary entertainer.

"We've just barely touched the surface on it," says associate librarian Susan Hidalgo. "There is so much more that can be done."

Hidalgo and fellow librarian Rob Weiner have compiled a list of more than 40 articles in an annotated bibliography meant to assist scholars and "wanna be startin' somethin'" by researching Jackson.

"It talked about the psychology of his Peter Pan...thinking he was Peter Pan and never wanted to grow up. All through the music, analyzing the music, what everything in the music meant."

Weiner says Jackson's name appeared in black and white on a variety of off-the-wall topics including fire engineering, law and even chemistry.

"Michael Jackson was discussed in a journal related to teaching chemistry education where a professor had co-opted the song Billie Jean, taken the melody and re-wrote the lyrics to teach chemistry concepts," Weiner says.

Weiner believes their research proves pop culture has a place in the classroom.

"It shows that there's more substance to popular culture than has long been thought of in the academy," Weiner says. "The academy for many, many years has poo-pooed that and thought less of it and now I think you can't really ignore it."

Weiner adds, the combination of mainstream and the esteemed could encourage students to further their studies.

"They may not necessary want to take a class on Shakespeare right out of high school, but they might take a class on the Beatles or on gaming...which could lead then to them taking some of the more high-brow subjects if you want to use that term," he says.

The work of these two librarians is featured in the current issue of "The Journal of Pan-African Studies."

Jackson died on June 25th

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/lo...ckson-king-of-pop/M-i3wzEvFEC5j-HYuihd8A.cspx

P.S: check the video on the top right hand corner.

this sounds like a class I would NOT want to take. People make assumptions about MJ that I wouldn't agree with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back