Michael Jackson has Robbie Fulks' respect -- seriously

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
At one time, Robbie Fulks probably wouldn’t have been on the short list of artists most likely to do a sincere – much less sincerely great -- Michael Jackson tribute. As the songwriter says, “My style is to take things from a contrarian viewpoint,” and Jackson’s career lends itself to all sorts of contrarian sarcasm.
But Fulks says he learned a few things about the King of Pop when he was invited in 1999 to perform a birthday tribute concert to Jackson at the Cultural Center. His respect and appreciation for the singer deepened to the point where last year Fulks released an excellent Jackson tribute album, “Happy: Robbie Fulks Plays the Music of Michael Jackson” (robbiefulks.com), and will perform a Jackson-themed concert March 18 at Lincoln Hall. No doubt there will be a few humorous moments in the show, but Fulks says when removed from all the craziness around Jackson’s life, the singer’s music holds up remarkably well.

“All that celebrity pop music is so far from me now, but in the ‘60s through 1980, to be young and with my head halfway into radio, his music was part of my world,” Fulks says. “In thinking about it, listening to his music, getting more acquainted with it, it was amazing that he was always there for so long. He not only kept up with the times, he stayed a step ahead of them for 25 years. That in itself is culturally significant.”

In working out what songs to perform and later to record, Fulks developed a healthy respect for Jackson’s abilities as a singer and songwriter.

“He was the Elvis of my generation and I think he was better than Elvis,” Fulks says. “Elvis was a great singer, but Michael was a more resourceful singer, especially when younger. Add to that the dancing, production, songwriting, videos, the image-making. It was half playful, half menacing, with a little bit of a 1920s German horror movie thing, a weirdness and complexity. It was a way more inventive persona than a hip-swinging hillbilly singer.”

The 1999 performance went so well that Fulks decided to start making an album. He sunk more than $35,000 of his own money into the project, working with top-tier musicians such as mandolin player Sam Bush, banjo virtuoso Tony Trischka, pedal steel great John Hughey, post-punkers Shellac and avant-rock singer Azita. The latter two worked on what is easily the album’s most disturbing song, a noise-collage version of the latter-day Jackson track “Privacy.”

“I didn’t want the record to just be a tribute to the glorious days of my youth,” Fulks says. “There are some awful Michael Jackson records, like (the 2001 album) ‘Invincible,’ which is the worst, most conspicuous-consumption atrocity you could ever hear. But that’s where I got ‘Privacy,’ which I heard as an opportunity to explore the psychological horror landscape of Michael’s mind.”

The bulk of “Happy” is made up of undeniably great songs, including “Billie Jean” (“take away the disco beat and you have creepy, suggestive lyrics that can withstand the attention”) and “Man in the Mirror” (“a great song that has a life and majesty outside of his performance”).

Fulks shelved the record for several years while child molestation charges swirled around Jackson, but then decided to put it out himself after the singer died in 2009.

His multi-media tribute concert will include puppets, child actors in “scenes of questionable taste,” and a first-rate group of singers and musicians. One thing it won’t have is Fulks busting some MJ-style dance moves.

“No, no, I’m Caucasian and 48,” Fulks says with a laugh. “That will not work.”

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune....ckson-has-robbie-fulks-respect-seriously.html

I really don't understand this article.Who is this guy and why respecting Jackson has to go with the word "seriously"?

I agree with you guys, I don't understand all the criticism Invincible is getting. It may not have been MJ's best album ever but it's easily one of the better albums this last decade. There were many good songs he could have used from that album (like Whatever Happens, Butterflies, Heartbreaker, Speechless etc.) but instead he used Privacy, which imo is one of the worst songs on the album? :mello:

The mere fact he said Invincible was a horrible record...yeah makes his "opinion" and anything he says "good" or bad null and void. Period. MANY people became fans BECAUSE of Invincible. I love that record (which is a mute point because I love all his albums), and I bet that this guy's favorite record of Michael's is Thriller. *rolls eyes* Typical. And there also seemed to be an insinuation (I basically skimmed through it so I can't be 100%) that Michael was "weird" , again guy has it wrong and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

**end of little rant**

The mere fact he said Invincible was a horrible record...yeah makes his "opinion" and anything he says "good" or bad null and void. Period. MANY people became fans BECAUSE of Invincible. I love that record (which is a mute point because I love all his albums), and I bet that this guy's favorite record of Michael's is Thriller. *rolls eyes* Typical. And there also seemed to be an insinuation (I basically skimmed through it so I can't be 100%) that Michael was "weird" , again guy has it wrong and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

**end of little rant**
I'm one of those who became a fan because of Invincible, there are plenty of fans who like me -are young- and hence weren't able to experience the Thriller, Dangerous, Bad or History era's.
You Rock My World made me fall in love with Michael as a child, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I'm one of those who became a fan because of Invincible, there are plenty of fans who like me -are young- and hence weren't able to experience the Thriller, Dangerous, Bad or History era's.
You Rock My World made me fall in love with Michael as a child, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Same here. I loved Michael before that already but I remember the Invincible era so well. I remember when YRMW came out and was shown on all the music channels, I'd stay inside to watch it while my friends were outside playing lol. Good times :)

Ok so now to be an MJ fan of any kind at all, one must like Invincible? Sorry, but I can't agree with that. I love Vince too, very much so, but for other reasons than just music. I know it's a dodgy album for others, and if you can't hear that, then you're deaf and ignorant. Don't know who this guy is, but i'm glad he seemed to find a new respect for Michael. And he still took "Privacy", and did something with it! One can't ignore that. I don't mind at all that he doesn't care for Invincible. I mean, he sounds like a man who loves more organic aspects of music, and using raw tools instead of the normal "pop" tools. He even stated he doesn't enjoy pop music in the slightest except for that 20 year period in his youth. Invincible has a very "year 2000 pop" sound to it.

^No, you don't have to be a fan of Invincible to be a Michael Jackson fan, however, he didn't just say Invincible was not his cup of tea.

Robbie Fulks said:
&#8220;I didn&#8217;t want the record to just be a tribute to the glorious days of my youth,&#8221; Fulks says. &#8220;There are some awful Michael Jackson records, like (the 2001 album) &#8216;Invincible,&#8217; which is the <b>worst, most conspicuous-consumption atrocity you could ever hear</b>. But that&#8217;s where I got &#8216;Privacy,&#8217; which I heard as an opportunity to explore the psychological horror landscape of Michael&#8217;s mind.&#8221;

Has he heard any of these?

51DRbZANoDL._SS500_.jpg

(....)

51UIyb2a2VL._SS500_.jpg

(????)

51deWebi%2BtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(!!!!!!!)

C'mon. Surely, Invincible is nowhere near as bad as he paints it out to be. In my humble opinion, it's GRREAT.

tony_the_tiger_432.gif

Well, like he said, he doesn't even listen to that ish. He has probably never heard a Justin Bieber song, which is possible if one doesn't listen to top 40 radio. Very avoidable for me as well.

If he did, i'm sure he'd have something even more atrocious to say about it!!

And again, for the record, I love Invincible very, very much! The hype around it was so unlike any other artist I was listening to at the time. Backstreet Boys for instance. Nothing on Invincible!!!

^Neither do I, but I go outside, and they play that ish at malls, fast food restaurants, Hell, even at grocery stores!

I know you do, and I see your point, but I think most people's problems with his statement is that he condemned it as 'the worst...', instead of just saying 'I didn't like it.'

I like the tribute idea and everything but...

I really, really don't understand what is so bad about Invincible.
Even sometimes I try to put myself into the shoes of Invincible haters and wonder why, but I just don't understand.

Maybe the lack of proper publicity made it look and sound bad for some people.
I can listen to that record without skipping any songs.

^I don't know. It has some very beautiful songs, like The Lost Children, Cry, and Don't Walk Away. It also has some catchy, fun songs like 'Invincible', '2000 Watts', etc. I love Invincible, it is definitely one of the best albums of the 00's (not that it had any suitable competition in th mainstream.)

First of all: who the hell is Robbie Fulks?

Alright, I looked up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Fulks

So he's an "alternative country" artist.

"His live performances feature improvised rearrangements of his original songs, off-the-cuff musical humor, and covers of songs by Michael Jacksonand Cher, among others."

I agree with him about Elvis vs. Michael. With all the Elvis hype, artistically Elvis simply can't hold a candle to Michael.

He doesn't like Invincible, alright, but to say it's "the worst, most conspicuous-consumption atrocity you could ever hear" is a bit harsh and not true either.

^Neither do I, but I go outside, and they play that ish at malls, fast food restaurants, Hell, even at grocery stores!

I know you do, and I see your point, but I think most people's problems with his statement is that he condemned it as 'the worst...', instead of just saying 'I didn't like it.'

It was very unfair that he said that too. Probably didn't consider much what he was saying, or how much we MJ fans were gonna dissect the hell outta it!

Back