Michael Jackson double Navi talks to Vibe ahead of show featuring other MJ impersonators

Bubs

Proud Member
You are not alone: Michael Jackson double Navi talks to Vibe ahead of show featuring other MJ impersonators

WHEN performer Navi looks at the man in the mirror, the face looking back at him is the King of Pop.

“I have the most famous face in the world and it’s not mine,” the self-proclaimed World’s Number One Michael Jackson Tribute tells Vibe.

For nearly 25 years Navi has dedicated his life to performing as his idol, including hours of rehearsal, study and going under the knife.

He said: “No-one rolls out of bed and looks like Michael. I’ve had surgery, I take it very seriously. It is not a job to me, it is a dream. I do it because I love Michael Jackson’s music.

“There has been a lot of pain and a lot of money.”

Navi will bring his band, backing singers and team of six dancers to the Michael Jackson Spectacular fan event at IndigO2 on October 14, featuring the top MJ impersonators and ties in with the 25th anniversary of Bad and the MJ Cirque Du Soliel Immortal Tour at the O2.

The show promises to be a thriller. Navi said: “You have to bring your a-game.

“Jackson had a full production, a full team, probably 10 times the size of mine. You can’t do it one tenth, you have got to deliver something that people for a moment believe the magic continues.

“Last week I knocked off four kilos in four days. I have pinpointed October 14 to take me back to the shape I was when I performed another big event a few years ago.

“I’m gunning for October 14.”

That's quite a statement of intent from someone whose off the wall career has taken him around the world, performing in front of 30,000 people at this year's Bahrain Grand Prix and even getting a standing ovation from

Jackson himself at the star's birthday party a few years ago.

Navi's obsession started when he arrived in London from Trinidad aged seven in 1979, around the time Don't Stop Til You Get Enough shook the charts.

"He was like a real life superhero to me," Navi said. "It hasn't stopped since.

"It demands full attention in my life.

"I will be buried where he is, I have wardrobes with 150 to 200 costumes. My whole place is Jackson.”

Despite his obsession and cosmetic work, Navi insists he can still pop to Tesco anonymously and wouldn't like to be his idol.

He drew the line at getting his own Bubbles the chimp, too.

He said: "I was scared of the monkey beating me up. I did try to get a hand monkey but they get violent too."

Navi was lucky enough to meet MJ several times - he travelled to his trials to stand outside the court room with a sign that said 'smooth but not a criminal' - and was even invited to his Neverland ranch.

He said: "Going to Neverland was probably the most insight I had into him - real animals, theme park, bumper cars, eating a barbecue, going in the cinema - I realised this guy had created Disney World meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets the Yellow Brick Road."

Navi's resemblance even led to work as a decoy.

He said: "There was one time when 2,500 people were chasing me in Thailand. I thought I would probable die that day.

"The police and security team had to block the area off and call more police.

"We ran out into a van and a crazy fan grabbed onto the vehicle and started shouting 'Michael, Michael'"

Navi sad his 25 years working as Michael Jackson means he probably no longer needs to work, but he's not ready to hang up the glove yet.

He said: "The journey has been unbeleivable. Imagine waking up and going to work and getting butterflies at every job. Then you know it is not a job, it is dream."

The Michael Jackson Spectacular fan event is at IndigO2 from 1pm on Sunday, October 14. Tickets cost from £19.50. Go to mjspectacular.com.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisur...ead_of_show_featuring_other_MJ_impersonators/

I would go if I were living in UK. Ticket price is cheap considering what you get. Tickets to that Michael Bush MJ wardrobe exhibition costs £10 and you only see costumes. Fan tribute event is only £19.50 and there is costumes and singing:D

Oh my god though.I personally think he needs like mental help.
It's okay to be a Michael impersonator and he's your life and your job and all that.

That's fine.But to the point where he wants to get his own Bubbles and be buried next to him
when he dies....that's pretty scary.

I've seen Navi do many many interviews on TV before(obviously clips on Youtube,because I'm in the states),
and quite personally I thought that most of them were (semi) normal,but this one is just downright creepy.
:puke: And it's sad that he wants to mirror Michael's life(except some things,not everything),but I know for damn sure
that no matter what impersonator says "Oh,I'm the best.Blah blah blah"I will always know in my heart that
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER MICHAEL JACKSON.NO IMPERSONATOR,MUSICIAN,DANCER COULD EVER REPLACE HIM.

And,tbh I don't even think he looks remotely similar to Michael at all.

It's okay to be a Michael impersonator and he's your life and your job and all that.

But to the point where he wants to get his own Bubbles and be buried next to him

I've seen Navi do many many interviews on TV before(obviously clips on Youtube,because I'm in the states),
and quite personally I thought that most of them were (semi) normal,but this one is just downright creepy.
:puke: And it's sad that he wants to mirror Michael's life(except some things,not everything),but I know for damn sure
that no matter what impersonator says "Oh,I'm the best.Blah blah blah"I will always know in my heart that
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER MICHAEL JACKSON.NO IMPERSONATOR,MUSICIAN,DANCER COULD EVER REPLACE HIM.

Bless you for speaking out the truth!!!

That's fine.But to the point where he wants to get his own Bubbles and be buried next to him

Huh? why are you saying he needs mental help ? I dont even see that he said what you are attacking him for. When Navi is not performing he has his own apppearance and life. He doesnt walk around dressed or imitating MJ outside of events or being on stage. I dont think he looks a lot like MJ either. He use to when he was younger through... but Can you please "quote" where Navi says " he wants to get his own Bubbles and be buried next to him when he dies.... " I cant find that. ? I guess that why I'm so confused by your post. Thanks

qbee;3716412 said:
Huh? why are you saying he needs mental help ? I dont even see that he said what you are attacking him for. When Navi is not performing he has his own apppearance and life. He doesnt walk around dressed or imitating MJ outside of events or being on stage. I dont think he looks a lot like MJ either. He use to when he was younger through... but Can you please "quote" where Navi says " he wants to get his own Bubbles and be buried next to him when he dies.... " I cant find that. ? I guess that why I'm so confused by your post. Thanks

He drew the line at getting his own Bubbles the chimp, too.

He said: "I was scared of the monkey beating me up. I did try to get a hand monkey but they get violent too."

"I will be buried where he is, I have wardrobes with 150 to 200 costumes. My whole place is Jackson.”

So Ive never met him. Is Navi a nice guy. Does he have a good character and personality ? He has been a MJ fan all his life and a Tribute Artist Most his life. That is his lifes work and he is very dedicated to it. He loves Michael. I think its sweet that he wants to be buried at forest lawn near MJ. Michael must mean an awful lot to him. Even Michael was impressed with him. Its says he drew the line at getting a pet monkey he was afraid of them and even if he thought he wanted a pet monkey at one time. That doesnt mean he has mental problems any more then MJ did for actually having one. My favorite tribute Artist was Earnest Valentino but Ive never seen either perform live - Navi must be doing somethign right. he is still the #one sought after tribute artist. Its his lifes work .. I wouldnt say he is the best though. But I would like to see him perform one day live.

He is 40 now. it says he was 7 in 79. He really doesnt look like Michael so I dont know why he says he is the mirror image. Only on stage from a distance. He has gained a lot of weight also and apppear to lax with his moves in later years but he is popular with the fans. I guess becuase he is the most well known. He says he is getting his game on and loosing weight to be shape for the show on Oct 14th . I hope they have some good acts at the fan event in London. There are suppose to be several. I know Signature will be there. They are always fun to watch.

mjtributescreen.jpg

I know Navi, he is a really nice and sweet guy who adores Michael.

First saw him perform back in the 90's before he became navi and a staple at the old mj days. not really a fan of look alikes find it abit creepy tbh. seems to be a decent guy from what ppl i know who know him have said couldnt comment myself except i found his actions at the 02 on what should have been opening night pretty tacky and crass though.

@ Qbee: Thanks for answering Cube. :)

@ elusive: Sorry for asking you this, but could you elaborate on the tacky and crass part please ? If you do not, i'll understand, no worries. :)

He dressed up in full mj gear umbrella included and paraded around as if he were mj with press and "fans" in tow getting publicity.

to be frank, he's not a good dancer either. Very sloppy compared to some others.

Sorry, as good as some impersonators are, the impersonator business has a very dark side. I don't think Navi is like THAT, but Earnest Valentino and E'Casanova have a much darker side to themselves. They've been accused of harassing female fans and in the case of Earnest, he has been accused of extortion as well.

And how some impersonators fake live vocals... I think it's okay if you lipsync to MJ's vocals, but there have been some who get people to sing for them. Earnest also faked his "live" performances - now he usually does MJ playback. But in the previous videos you can see a background singer singing the main vocal track and everyone thinks he is actually singing! I believe Kenny Wizz did the same in the videos it looks like a keyboardist is singing for him. Edward Moss got Michael Firestone to record vocals for him - this has been confirmed by both the recording producer and Firestone himself.

Even as people, they are not worth comparing to MJ.

Last edited:
to be frank, he's not a good dancer either. Very sloppy compared to some others.

Sorry, as good as some impersonators are, the impersonator business has a very dark side. I don't think Navi is like THAT, but Earnest Valentino and E'Casanova have a much darker side to themselves. They've been accused of harassing female fans and in the case of Earnest, he has been accused of extortion as well.

And how some impersonators fake live vocals... I think it's okay if you lipsync to MJ's vocals, but there have been some who get people to sing for them. Earnest also faked his "live" performances - now he usually does MJ playback. But in the previous videos you can see a background singer singing the main vocal track and everyone thinks he is actually singing! I believe Kenny Wizz did the same in the videos it looks like a keyboardist is singing for him. Edward Moss got Michael Firestone to record vocals for him - this has been confirmed by both the recording producer and Firestone himself.

Even as people, they are not worth comparing to MJ.

Honestly I'm very happy for you to say that. Sloppy is what most MJ impersonators are. They try to hard and are not feeling the music. I smh everytime and am embarrassed that people cheering them on. Matt czech is the best I have seen as actually having rythm.
Christopher gasper does the best dance routines. E ' casanova comes the closest in appearance.

Last edited:
Quite personally,due to the fact that I only know one Michael impersonator personally,Michael Firestone,I think he's the top impersonator. I've met him three times and he's the nicest guy,plus he actually sings live and dances pretty amazing too.And when I first met him and got a picture with him at a fan event in Vegas,it actually was eerie how much he looked like Michael:
7328_1042334315930_1650409_n.jpg

A lot of my family and friends thought it was the real Michael for a while.xD
But the great part is that he actually uses makeup,and as far as I know,hasn't had any plastic surgery.

I've seen one of the impersonators live (Sergio Cortes) but it was kinda weird even though he was good and I think it would be the same with any other impersonator. I don't know how to explain it but I think these people are taking it too far (doing plastic surgery and all that). It's just beyond creepy to me.

Sloppy is what most MJ impersonators are
EXACTLY! Seeing impersonator's show made me appreciate Michael even more!

Back