Michael Jackson Custom Trainers

MsMo

Proud Member
thriller200.jpg

9042553_mjbrass.jpg

Images of Michael Jackson have been used on a special collection of customised trainers.

The range, which also includes shoes with the face of Barack Obama and the Twitter logo, is the creation of 21-year-old Daniel Reese.

Reese, a self-confessed “sneaker-freaker”, hand paints the designs on a pair of Nike Dunk Highs.

He told Gigwise that he began creating the designs three years ago after he customised a pair of his own Converse.

“I began to post my concepts on my blog in the hope that someone would trust me to actually make a pair, and one day, someone did,” he said.

“I made my first pair and from that day I have not stopped.”

Other trainers include rapper Lupe Fiasco, Run-DMC and the superhero Kick-Ass.

For more information, check out Reese’s own website, www.brassmonki.com.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/56628/Michael-Jackson-Gorillaz-Transformed-Into-Custom-Trainers

of course he needs permission, obviously he doesn't know this - maybe someone could tell him he could be sued to use Michael's trademark.

Actually I don't think this is that easy to determine: It could be a trademark infringement or it could fall under the category of art (as it is a shoe being painted by the artist).

Actually I don't think this is that easy to determine: It could be a trademark infringement or it could fall under the category of art (as it is a shoe being painted by the artist).

Hmm ... maybe you're right, but I really don't think the estate see things like that as these products are made for selling.

Do you know how they would determine something like that? Because couldn't people just say "it's art" all the time and get away with selling stuff?

It will be determined in a court of law and like I said it's not an easy determination. A judge will look to several factors and it could be classified as either one..

yes photographs and likeliness could be copyrighted and trademarked but then you have the first amendment rights of people (and artists). Courts will look to the intent, whether there was fair use, the transformation /transformative factors (whether the artist added something to the image such as their own interpretation etc).. Also some images could be classified under "creative commons", allowing artists to reuse them...

In short there are too many factors here to say it for certain.. Estate can definitely sue if they want but we can't predict the outcome without knowing all the factors.

(Plus I think [correct me if I'm wrong) these are made to order, hand painted sneakers - it doesn't look a like a mass produced item in high numbers)

here's an interesting info about when Tiger Woods sued about using of his image/picture in a painting and lost..

Rick Rush, a "sports artist", created a painting sold as a limited edition print and a large edition lithograph, that featured Tiger Woods in the center in several poses, including one "displaying that awesome swing" according to the artist's accompanying text. The painting, which celebrated Woods' 1997 victory in the U.S. Open, also depicted several past winners of the tournament superimposed over the leader board in the background, a caddie and a golf scoreboard. Tiger Wood's exclusive licensing agent sued, claiming in part that the print violated Tiger Woods' right of publicity under Ohio law. The Ohio federal court rejected Wood's argument that the print was "merely sports merchandise" unworthy of First Amendment protection. Instead, the court found that the print sought to convey a message, and that message was a unique expression of an idea, rather than the mere copying of an image. Accordingly, the court decided that the print was protected by the First Amendment, and dismissed the case.

oh another interesting thing : Andy Warhol's paintings of celebrities are also seen okay by the law as they are transformative enough and adds a whole different meaning to the picture used.. The following is from court documents

Through distortion and the careful manipulation of context, Warhol was able to convey a message that went beyond the commercial exploitation of celebrity images and became a form of ironic social comment on the dehumanization of celebrity itself….

Last edited:
Hmmm I see, thanks for the info Ivy ;)

I'm sure this was posted last summer somewhere, will try and find the thread.

I don't like trainers. But one time I see an All Star of a fan with the MJ's Face in Invincible era... oh it was amazing!

Dec 6 · Nike Blazer Mid ‘Michael Jackson Glove’ Customs by JBF
nike-blazer-mid-michael-jackson-glove-customs-jbf-4.jpg

90′s babies may have to sit this one out but hopefully not-as all of you oughta be familiar with ‘The Glove’, and no we’re not talking about the upcoming Gary Payton retro. Imitating the ever so gaudily sequenced glove that first popped up on Michael Jackson’s hand in his Motown 25 performance, sneaker customizer extraordinaire JBF puts together another hit with this Nike Blazer Mid redux. The pair nails the colors and the disco ball look, using the all over treatment to black out the Nike branding on the heel tab and tongue tag. Maybe just a bit too flashy to really rock, these stand out nonetheless as a great tribute to the fallen pop culture icon. Check out the rest of the images after the jump and let us know where they stand amongst the rest of JBF’s killer custom creations.
nike-blazer-mid-michael-jackson-glove-customs-jbf-1.jpg

nike-blazer-mid-michael-jackson-glove-customs-jbf-3.jpg

nike-blazer-mid-michael-jackson-glove-customs-jbf-2.jpg

nike-blazer-mid-michael-jackson-glove-customs-jbf-5.jpg

It will be determined in a court of law and like I said it's not an easy determination. A judge will look to several factors and it could be classified as either one..

yes photographs and likeliness could be copyrighted and trademarked but then you have the first amendment rights of people (and artists). Courts will look to the intent, whether there was fair use, the transformation /transformative factors (whether the artist added something to the image such as their own interpretation etc).. Also some images could be classified under "creative commons", allowing artists to reuse them...

In short there are too many factors here to say it for certain.. Estate can definitely sue if they want but we can't predict the outcome without knowing all the factors.

(Plus I think [correct me if I'm wrong) these are made to order, hand painted sneakers - it doesn't look a like a mass produced item in high numbers)

here's an interesting info about when Tiger Woods sued about using of his image/picture in a painting and lost..

oh another interesting thing : Andy Warhol's paintings of celebrities are also seen okay by the law as they are transformative enough and adds a whole different meaning to the picture used.. The following is from court documents

This is an interesting area of law that still seems to be being worked out on a case by case basis. Mr Brainwash lost against a photographer who held the copyright to images MBW 'transformed' in to prints...but apparently not enough

Arts News
Judge Rules Run-DMC Photo, Used by L.A. Street Artist Mr. Brainwash, Protected by Copyright Law: What Will It Mean for Fair Use?
By Simone Wilson Fri., Jun. 10 2011 at 1:45 PM Categories: Arts News

Mr. Brainwash just got busted.
?Forget the Shepard Fairey case. Music photographer Glen E. Friedman's lawsuit against Mr. Brainwash, the street artist profiled alongside Banksy in Oscar-nominated doc "Exit Through the Gift Shop," is the one to watch for legal fair-use precedent.
It all started with a 2008 installation in Los Angeles called "Life Is Beautiful," at a peaceful time when Mr. Brainwash was still an enigma --
Perhaps even a faction of Banksy's colorful imagination. (The LA Weekly knew better: We profiled Thierry Guetta in "Mr. Brainwash Bombs L.A.," back when he was "about to unleash an art happening at Columbia Square so audacious in scale and ambition that it will either make him an instant art star or an object of derision, a high-profile lesson in the perils of the vanity DIY spectacle.")

But one of the pieces in the exhibit made something entirely different of Guetta: He's now a copyright-law Guinea pig.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, a Run-DMC photo that the street artist employed in his first big mainstream show (see below) was ruled "copyright protectable" in a California federal court yesterday. This was based on the relative artisticness of Friedman's orginal photo, including "decisions about light and shadow, image clarity, depth of field, spatial relationships and graininess."

Unlike in Fairey's case, where the Obama photographer didn't even recognize her own work once the artist had his way with it, Judge Dean Pregerson made the devastating call that Guetta's Run-DMC piece doesn't differ enough from the original, and thus cannot be defended in future hearings as "transformative fair use":

The judge examines the four factors of the fair use test, including (1) the purpose and character of use; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for the copyrighted work, and determines that Guetta can't satisfy his burden in establishing this defense.
Compare the two pieces for yourself (and check some of Guetta's further manipulations of the image at Boing Boing):

?The Associated Press' lawsuit against Fairey, for his use of their Obama photo in his "HOPE" poster, was eventually settled outside the courtroom. The anticlimactic agreement wasn't exactly a win for the "more art" ideal -- the AP now shares all profits generated by the "HOPE" image and Fairey promises not to look at any AP photos for inspiration -- but the Run-DMC case is building new walls for artists.
?Telling an Andy Warhol disciple like Mr. Brainwish that gluing 1,000 broken record pieces over the silhouette of a classic hip-hop trio isn't arty enough to be protected by law is a huge setback in the age of mashups and multimedia collage.

According to the recent book Common as Air, Western copyright law was meant to enrich the common intellect without discouraging authors, artists and musicians from creating and enriching their own wallets.
The rules were meant to give creators very limited control. They were never meant, at least by this country's founders, to enrich private profiteers at the cost of public education and enjoyment.

At what point does something become so iconic that it belongs to all of us? Campbell's Soup never sued Warhol. Hey, it was free advertising. And that's how Friedman might have viewed Guetta's work, too -- if there was only room in Los Angeles for the two artists' egos.

And speaking of ego, Banksy's incognito approach is looking more and more attractive amid L.A. (and the nation's) street-art crackdown. It's only when an artist hungers for public recognition that his work is subjected to other artists' territorial hissy fits and, eventually, the fun-killing authority of the U.S. court of law.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/..._street_artist_mr_brainwash_copyright_law.php

Back