Michael Jackson could have starred in a 'Doctor Who' film

Selene

Proud Member
Long before David Tennant renewed Doctor Who's place as a cultural phenomenon, the famous Time Lord was nearly set to regenerate as one of two men who could have catapulted the character's star power in an instant. According to The Times, Michael Jackson and Bill Cosby were the top two choices that Paramount had selected to play the Doctor in a 1988 picture that never came to be. The King of Pop was the studio's first choice, while Cosby was considered as a backup.
The choice of Jackson was apparently based on the singer's success in the film Moonwalker earlier that year. While the details are reported in The Times, Paramount's unlikely casting choices are coming to light thanks to a new book, Now On The Big Screen: The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To Doctor Who At The Cinema, which chronicles the many efforts to bring Doctor Who to film. It's not clear why the picture never made it through initial development, but it certainly would have put a much different spin on the Doctor's history.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/4/4493844/doctor-who-almost-cast-michael-jackson-bill-cosby

The Times article is subscription only,but I got this from somewhere else,although the source is trashy and I won't link it :
The author of the book, Charles Norton spoke to Peter Litten of British production company Daltenreys (who owned the Who rights in 1988). He said this:
“We turned down a number of offers we had from Paramount. Believe it or not, was for Michael Jackson to play the Doctor. The other was Bill Cosby.”
Other names proposed include Donald Sutherland and Tim Curry. The only one that got the thumbs up would’ve been Alan Rickman as the Timelord, in a 1993 film to be directed by Leonard Nimoy. But the BBC put a stop to it by demanding the rights back.

Whoa, that's interesting. Before her suicide attempt, Paris implied/mentioned on her Twitter that she is a Doctor Who fan (and even said she wanted to be the next Doctor), which, as a Whovian myself, I thought was really cool. I've wondered, incidentally, if Michael was a fan of the show (or if he even saw it?).

I didn't know if the Paris allusion in another article was true cause I don't have twitter,but since you mention it,here it is :)

Michael Jackson was considered for THE DOCTOR role in Doctor Who movie…. He loved the show!

This post was written by guest blogger and reality TV showbiz observer Daniel Cohen. Catch up with him on Twitter here!

A new book chronicling the attempts to make a Doctor Who feature film reveals that Paramount Pictures wanted the title role to go to non other than late pop star Michael Jackson. Charles Norton, author of Doctor Who at the Movies, discovered that the King of Pop was the studio’s first choice when it agreed in 1988 to back a movie about the Timelord.

Michael had just had a massive success with the film “Moonwalker” and was hoping to make more movies. He was already known for his acting as well as singing skills, shown in “The Wiz”, “Mookwalker” and many of his videos.

Michael hinted in his book “Moonwalk” that he saw his future in film. He was an avid Sci Fi fan and loved his adventures as space traveling Captain EO, so a move into the Tardis would not seem out of the question.

Recently there was another Doctor Who / Jackson connection. After talking about it on Twitter, Paris Jackson really believed she could take on the iconic role in the BBC sci fi programme, after she saw a Daily Star cover claiming she was being considered for the role, after Matt Smith announced his departure.

She and her father used to watch the series together and it’s been claimed that Michael Jackson was a massive fan and despite missing out on being The Doctor, Michael apparently did want to star in the series.

Insiders say Michael felt connected to the Doctor and his love for the earth and the universe. He too felt like an alien on earth at times, but always wanted to help humanity and heal wars with words, not violence.

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/...r-role-in-doctor-who-movie-he-loved-the-show/

Back