'Michael Jackson Commemorated' available to buy now

bobmoo79

Proud Member
This is the documentary that Marc Schaffel release in June earlier this year and is available to buy now:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPBU-13485

Apparently the footage was intended to be used in a pilot episode of a reality TV series that was never finished, and it's interesting to note the credits listed on CDJapan and on IMDB include:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674093

Nick Carter
Aaron Carter
Beyonce
Avril Lavigne

Has anybody here seen this documentary and can provide a review?

I haven't even heard of this I think.

Is it any good??

I was curious about this, so I hit google. I came across some info, and the trailer

'Michael Jackson Commemorated', a new full-leangth feature film, open in 150 theatres in Japan on June 25th, the one-year anniversary of the superstar's death. The footage was shot by Marc Schaffel, a former Jackson business associate. The footage was originally intended as a pilot for a reality series that never happened. It was the first and last time Michael Jackson agreed to wear a microphone to record him candidly. Cameras accompany the legend as he tours the inside of his childhood home in Gary, Indiana for the first time in over 30 years. They also showoff the spectacular grounds of Neverland Ranch as never before and they even capture a mischievous Michael as he orchestrates a food fight with Carter brothers, Aaron and Nick. Flamingo Features hopes to sign world distribution rights for Michael Jackson Commemorated after its wide release debut in Japan. Audiences are given a unique chance to be up close and personal with Michael and to feel the true essence of the genuine love and adoration he felt for his fans.

interesting... I would love to buy the DVD but it's 50 Australian dollars and that's way too much for my budget at this moment.

I just found this article about 'Michael Jackson: Inside the Private world", which I believe to be the same film with a different title.
http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/06/26/michael-jackson-doc-draws-5000-to-press-preview-in-japan

Michael Jackson Doc Draws 5000 to Press Preview in Japan

“Michael Jackson: Inside the Private World” is a hit in Japan.
On Thursday night, 5000 people showed up for a press preview that accommodated only 200 people at a venue behind the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Tokyo. A Japanese singer appeared and sang “Human Nature.” The town, apparently, went wild.
Since then, the film, which was licensed to Japan by Jackson partner Marc Schaffel, has sold out all its shows. It’s expected to take in between $5-$8 million.
The Jackson estate has settled its issues with the distribution company, and all is well for an uninterrupted release. Both Schaffel and Debbie Rowe, mother of Michael’s two eldest kids, were there for the premiere. On Wednesday, Rowe was the guest of a Buddhist temple where a special tour and ceremony were set up for her.
The two hour movie includes a lot of intimate behind the scenes stuff with Jackson and his family, and at Neverland, It also features Japanese fans talking about Michael. It will be edited down to a more manageable 90 minutes when it’s sold in other countries."

It got a promising write-up on Showbiz411, but judging from the comments on that page, it's not a very good documentary. People found it boring, so they'd be right to edit it to 90minutes if it is sold to other countries.

However, according to one poster on MichaelJackson.com the documentary is amazing:

http://www.michaeljackson.com/id/node/870347

"Here in Japan a new film started at the movies today "MICHAEL JACKSON: INSIDE THE PRIVATE WORLD". I was running late so missed first 20-30mins of it but it was....WOW!...I'm SPEECHLESS...I cried a lot and laughted too as MJ has an amazing sense of humour. I got a poster gift too from the cinema-charming MJ on it. Not that I need charming MJ around me as I'm just a soldier forever in HEAL THE WORLD army...sorry MJ...but you know what I mean... The film is without dance-MJ talks a lot and fans talk about him.
I'm going back to see it-LOVED it MJ. Only one question. The film says (narrator's voice) that MJ loved Kentucky but in MOONWALK book MJ says he wa vegetarian. Hopefully MJ or family/children will tell us the truth one day. The film didn't show MJ eating Kentucky-just showed MJ feeding fans and staff with it. The film also shows MJ being a thrift store lover (just like me!) and shopping at those stores.
Fans or not fans-everyone must see it. It shows the kind/human side of MJ and also his strick leadership side. He's so nice and loving his fans and goes on about it, then he quietly squeezes in that the fans don't let him go anywhere wihout following him so he sounded like he was stuck in jail."

I'll be interested to watch it for the new footage but I doubt it'll be of interest to the general public. In the Japanese box office it appears to have only appeared in the chart for 2 weeks. It entered at #11 then slipped to #14 in the second week and I guess out of the chart by the 3rd week.

https://boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl/?page=&country=JP&wk=2010W27&id=_fMICHAELJACKSONCO01

Box office total of $1,278,263.

Back