Michael Jackson B'Way Play Opens ... in Court

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Michael Jackson B'Way Play Opens ... in Court

Originally posted 23 minutes ago by TMZ Staff
A huge Broadway theater group is suing the executors of Michael Jackson's estate ... claiming the estate is blocking them from making an MJ Broadway musical.

0613-micheal-getty-ex-credit.jpg

Nederlander Presentations claims it entered into a contract in 2008 for the rights to create and produce a musical stage play based upon MJ's most famous songs, including hits from "Thriller" and "Off the Wall." Among the songs -- "Beat It," "Billie Jean," and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin.'"

According to the suit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ, Nederlander claims the estate won't provide the rights to use the songs for the play.

Nederlander has already filed a creditor's claim but so far they've gotten nothing.

The suit names co-executors John Branca and John McClain as defendants.

Howard Weitzman, attorney for the MJ estate, tells TMZ, "The contract provides for certain approvals by Michael on a number of important elements. Unfortunately, Michael is not available to participate in the process, and therefore I don't think the contract is enforceable. The lawsuit has no merit."

the money that would be made from this play seems so minimal when compared to other projects.

- a total of $267,000 for fees, loyalties and services
- weekly payment of $10,000 or %10 to 12 percent of operating profits (whichever higher) - before the costs are recovered / 10% of net profits after costs are recovered
- 50% of net receipts from sale of related products
- 66.7% of the proceeds if the play was used in any other format (such as sold to TV channels etc)

and Weitzman is right .

The following is from the contract

"Owner grants producer the exclusive right to create one musical stage play based on the materials to be written by such book writer as producer might select subject to Owner's approval"

and also this

" including the right to manufacture and sell commercial use products approved by Owner based on the play"

According to the contract Michael was to approve the play and the product to be sold. So unless this company wrote the play , designed the products and got them approved by Michael before his death, estate has all the right to not approve/reject this project.

Last edited:
If Michael was on board, then the contract was and is enforcable.....that is only if Michael actually signed a contract.

If Michael was on board, then the contract was and is enforcable.....that is only if Michael actually signed a contract.

Michael signed the contract (see page 25 of the pdf file), however as I mentioned in my above post the contract says the final play and the products was subject to Michael's approval - meaning that even if he might be on board with a Broadway play idea if he didn't like the end product he might not allowed it.

i gotta say, i do love Michael's wisdom. the ability to sign something..and...not sign it at the same time..dude is forever pure genius. that's why i believe being nice is not necessarily being naive. and that's how i saw MJ to be. nice and not naive. so..people thought they could get him...but ..no. but that IS why i think people wanted to kill him.

More Estate bullying IMO.

MJ agreed on it, so let em play. What harm will it honestly do apart from bring in another source of revenue for Sony AND the estate?

Even before Michael died, the plays producers were being threatened with a lawsuit from John Landis, the Thriller video director. This suit is a waste of paper and time.

John Landis just needs a cheque & that problem will be over.

John Landis just needs a cheque & that problem will be over.

well according to the documents they also need to get the okay from Rod Temperton, John Bettis, Steve Porcaro, James Ingram and Quincy Jones as well.

What harm will it honestly do apart from bring in another source of revenue for Sony AND the estate?

you wouldn't want to bombard the environment with too many projects at the same time. People will get accustomed to Michael Jackson , market will get saturated and then none of the projects will generate high income.

You can have TOO much of a good thing.

well according to the documents they also need to get the okay from Rod Temperton, John Bettis, Steve Porcaro, James Ingram and Quincy Jones as well.
I doubt that would be a problem considering Thriller: SE & Thriller25 were released without any issues mainly being they get a royalty cut. Im sure it was just on oversight by MJ in the first place which is his lawyers job anyway.

you wouldn't want to bombard the environment with too many projects at the same time. People will get accustomed to Michael Jackson , market will get saturated and then none of the projects will generate high income.

You can have TOO much of a good thing.

Then we agree to disagree because it would be best IMO to honour MJs deal and let them have a small quick run before Cirque de Soleil takes up 2011 ->

Back