Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
1622105_653639251366465_1636991120_n.jpg

Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

The Rolling Stone Blog Article:

Michael Jackson: Black Superhero
By Toure / June 26, 2014 8:55 AM ET​

African-American artists and intellectuals, from Jay-Z to Henry Louis Gates, weigh in on Jackson&#8217;s legacy.

Michael-Jackson-33-young-michael-jackson-15045750-640-442.jpg

When Michael Jackson was a boy, you didn't have to say "black is beautiful," you just had to look at him and you knew. In 1969, as black people were getting comfortable with the idea that African features are gorgeous, he arrived as the perfect punctuation of that idea. He was cherubic with his rich brown skin, a broad nose and a big halo of curls atop his head at a time when the Afro was a powerful symbol of black pride. "People responded viscerally to Michael Jackson's beauty," says Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. 1969 was a year after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a time when the black-power and civil rights movements seemed to be disintegrating, but Michael showed up, a soul-music prodigy irrepressibly optimistic and bursting with youthful enthusiasm. "Here was a child who clearly understood the R&B idiom," says music-industry veteran Gary Harris. "He was some sort of test-tube creation from a mad soul doctor's lab. If Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder had a child, it would have been Michael Jackson.

He quickly became the number-one black child star of his era, and of all time. The first four Jackson 5 singles each topped Billboard's Hot 100, an unbelievable start. Black people fell in love so hard, he became more than an artist and more like a member of the family. You didn't want anything to happen to him so much that you felt protective the way you did about a younger brother. "He was ours," says Q-Tip. "He meant everything to black culture."

It wasn't just about Michael. A few years after the Johnson administration declared the black family broken with the Moynihan Report, the Jackson family was large, intact, vibrant, successful and seemingly happy, giving America an idealized image of domestic bliss. Jay-Z told me he grew up pretending to be Michael, singing alongside his two older sisters and brother. "Here you had Michael and four brothers," says the Rev. Al Sharpton, "all talented and all cute and the strong father and the mother who was matriarchal and Janet, and it was like, 'Wow, all this talent in this family, showing we could do something.' We were proud of that."

Michael had a second family: Motown was a deeply trusted brand in millions of black households. If Berry Gordy said it was good enough to release, you could bet it was great. The Jackson 5 were the last great act to come out of the Detroit label, further proof of Malcolm Gladwell's theory in Outliers: The Story of Success that life timing is critical to success, that the historical forces swirling around the moment when you emerge can make all the difference. "The Jacksons were the first family in line to truly benefit from the post-civil-rights era with America's new open-arms policy toward black entertainment," says ?uestlove. "1969 was the year the social floodgates opened and an 11-year-old led the charge in post-Malcolm/Martin/Motown America. Historians always forget the third-most-important M to help black America get access to the promised land is Motown."

Michael-Jackson-Thriller.jpg
Thriller came out at the end of 1982, as the affirmative-action generation was beginning to make its move. Jesse Jackson would make a bid for the presidency, Eddie Murphy would launch his assault on the top layers of Hollywood, Oprah Winfrey would start her legendary talk show, and Bill Cosby would create the best-rated sitcom of the decade. Even before all that started, the vibe of black ascensionism was in the air, and Michael saw no reason why race should hold him back from the most elite level of his profession. He decided to ride his excellence to the zenith. Current Motown president Sylvia Rhone says, "Throughout his career, his success dramatically affected my view of what was possible and open for African-Americans."

Many blacks now compare Michael with Barack Obama &#8211; perhaps the highest possible compliment in black America. Not only are they both integrationists and racial harmonists, but they both were determined to reach the top while refusing to let race hold them back. "There's so many components of why Barack Obama is president," says Diddy, "and Michael Jackson is one of them. He started a change in the perception of the African-American male on a worldwide level: his strength, always putting himself in a power position, being seen as a hero." Sharpton echoes the point. "Way before Tiger Woods or Barack Obama, Michael made black people go pop-culture global," he says. "You had people in France, South America and Iowa comfortable with their kids imitating a black kid from Gary, Indiana. And when some of those people in Iowa grew, they were comfortable with voting for Barack Obama because they got comfortable imitating a black kid named Michael Jackson when they were young. Obama is a phenomenon, but he's the result of a process that Michael helped America graduate to."

music-michael-jackson.jpg

Michael was also a boardroom killer. In the decades before him, black recording artists were, as James Brown observed, in the show but not in show business. Many ended up losing the copyrights to their own songs and pocketing a fraction of the money their music brought in. Jackson knew all about that history. "He knew Berry Gordy made his money off copyrights," cultural critic Nelson George says. "He knew the value of songs. That's something he understood." In 1984, when the ATV music-publishing catalog, which contained 251 Beatles songs, including "Yesterday," "Let It Be" and "Hey Jude," as well as work from Bob Dylan, went up for sale, Jackson went after it. After 10 months of negotiation, Jackson purchased the catalog for $47.5 million. His stake is now worth more than 10 times that, and the move was easily his shrewdest business conquest &#8211; and the asset that kept him afloat during his financially troubled last years. It proved his savvy, separating him from all those previous black artists who lacked the power to control the music business. But more than that, the symbolic power of Jackson owning the Beatles' music cannot be overstated. Not only did he become as big as the Beatles, he bought them too. A century after American whites owned blacks, a black performer owned the product of the most elite white group in the world. It was an amazing turnabout, and one blacks took special pride in. A few nights after Jackson died, I was in L.A., searching the radio for an MJ song, when I came across "Strawberry Fields Forever" on an oldies station. I said, "**** it, Mike owns this. Same difference." And I listened.

By the Nineties, Jackson no longer looked like a black person &#8211; after a series of surgeries, his facial features and skin color had become more and more Caucasoid. George says, "I don't think there was any question: There was disquiet in the black community about the color thing. It was an issue. People didn't wanna go out and say, 'He's ****in' becoming white,' but people were like, 'What's that about?'" As Jackson was literally assimilating, we struggled with his choices but never symbolically tossed him out of the race, even though he seemed to be trying to surgically remove himself from it. "The reason black folk never turned their backs on him," says Georgetown professor Michael Eric Dyson, "is because we realized he was merely acting out on his face what we collectively have been tempted to do in our souls: whitewash the memory and trace of our offending blackness." Still, we struggled to understand why. Some have said he no longer wanted to see his father in the mirror, but there seem to be deeper forces at play. "I think he wanted to be a symbol of universalism," Gates says, "and he erroneously thought his skin color, hair texture, the length of his nose and shape of his chin inhibited that. You could say he was appealing to the universal, but there's no way of escaping, even giving him the benefit of the doubt, that it's a function of Negro self-hatred and self-loathing, which is a function of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation and racism, which made blacks hate the very things that make them beautiful."

Beautiful+Michael.jpg

Those who knew Jackson well say he wasn't trying to surgically remove himself from the race. Producer Teddy Riley, who worked on Jackson's Dangerous album, says, "Of course he loved being black. We'd be in sessions where we'd just vibe out and he'd say, 'We are black, and we are the most talented people on the face of the Earth.' I know this man loved his culture, he loved his race, he loved his people." ?uestlove adds, "As a fellow child of a taskmaster, no one knows self-distorted insecurity like I do. A person ashamed of his roots would never have made a gazillion odes to Africa as he's done." And even as his face got whiter, his music stayed black and rooted in the R&B tradition he mastered as a kid.

The day he died, it seemed something on this realm changed. "When I got the news," Nas says, "the weather around me immediately changed drastically. It suddenly rained so hard. Wind blew like crazy. Clouds did something different. It was as if you felt him leaving the world." People struggled to wrap their heads around the magnitude of his death. Q-Tip says, "This is the biggest loss since, dare I say, Martin Luther King. He moved the culture that much. He moved the needles that much."

Now that he's gone, everything ***** ***** has been rightly hushed, and everything that made him the King of Pop has taken over the mind space he fills. "When you have a body of work that great, it's not about you personally," former Motown CEO Andre Harrell says. "It's about your body of work. We're not gonna concentrate on the negative, we're gonna deal with the music. It took his death to get all the personal stuff out of the way and really get back to the reason why we're interested in loving him." In death, his songs have been liberated from his eccentricities like ghosts released from a haunted mansion, free again to fly through the air and spread joy. And because the music business can no longer create a star as big as he was at his height, it seems likely that he'll be the King of Pop forever.

This story originally appeared in our 2009 special commemorative issue on the life of Michael Jackson.

Thank you so much to LunaJo van der Grift for sharing this with us :heart:

* If this is posted else where as I did search please move to proper location thanks Mods *

Last edited:
Awesome article. Except for one VERY OBVIOUS THING.
Seriously what the **** is wrong with these ****ing idiots.

The brothas couldn't have given this interview, done this piece with Ebony Magazine, Vibe or even Essence? F*CK RS, this is pandering to the highest, given how they didn't mind sh*tting on this BLACK SUPERHERO. :smilerolleyes:

HoesaintloyalBAD_zps356dac89.jpg

The brothas couldn't have given this interview, done this piece with Ebony Magazine, Vibe or even Essence? F*CK RS, this is pandering to the highest, given how they didn't mind sh*tting on this BLACK SUPERHERO. :smilerolleyes:

You are right.

What made me so mad is ppls were saying that Michael want to be white that is not true Michael was proud to be black. The Birth Cert say black come on ppls getting together.

I agree that RS did everything they could to tear Michael down when he was alive. IMO, these bastards are trying to make up NOW, for what they did to Michael. They, and all of the media, are too cowardly to ADMIT that they were wrong about Michael. This is their attempt to try and redeem themselves.I would rather see their ATTEMPTS at a POSITIVE article rather than the negative tabloid crap that they usually spew. I am enjoying this wave of positivity that Michael is receiving, albeit the source. I will take it where I can get it.

Maybe the reason that the brothas didn't give this interview to Ebony, Vibe or Essence is because those magazines didn't ASK them to do an interview on Michael. Btw, some of the people at the aforementioned magazines are getting just as shitty as those at RS.

Last edited:
Michael was ahead of his time. Sadly he was born in an era where there are still too many prejudice, ignorant people who make skin color all important and not the content of a man&#8217;s heart.

Michael had to put up with so much Sh--. As the Rev. Al Sharpton said at MJ&#8217;s memorial when he addressed PP&B &#8220;Wasn&#8217;t nothing strange about yo daddy it was strange what was done to him".

I am just amazed at the amount of projection that goes on with people as it relates to how Michael felt about being black and his vision for the world.

Michael was about racial harmony, ergo he wanted that represented in his physical appearance.

One would think, therefore, that having achieved his goal to look 'white' (back in the 90s) Michael would have been proud of his appearance and would have said to Oprah - "I want my whole being - physical and mental - to show the beauty of racial harmonisation that is why I no longer look 'black'".

Instead, what did he say? He talked about how he did not like looking in the mirror. He talked about how much it pained him to have vitiligo.

Hmm

Some people might say it was a failed experiment on his part. I say the pain of losing the pigmentation of his skin was yet another trauma that Michael had to face in his life, that it scarred him emotionally but he got on with his life the best he could.

And you know, sometimes it is the simplest answers that make the most sense.

Michael may have changed some aspects of his physical appearance to appear more attractive to the 'mainstream' which other entertainers have done over the years. Nose jobs, skin ligthening, hair straightening are common among entertainers, whatever the race. And then Michael developed an auto-immune disease.

I feel strongly that in the continuing discourse about Michael's legacy, both the black and white communities have to seriously talk about race identity and the perceptions of race identity. And in yet another way Michael would be helping us humans to move beyond the petty and the superficial.

:clapping: :heart:

I am just amazed at the amount of projection that goes on with people as it relates to how Michael felt about being black and his vision for the world.

Michael was about racial harmony, ergo he wanted that represented in his physical appearance.

One would think, therefore, that having achieved his goal to look 'white' (back in the 90s) Michael would have been proud of his appearance and would have said to Oprah - "I want my whole being - physical and mental - to show the beauty of racial harmonisation that is why I no longer look 'black'".

Instead, what did he say? He talked about how he did not like looking in the mirror. He talked about how much it pained him to have vitiligo.

Hmm

Some people might say it was a failed experiment on his part. I say the pain of losing the pigmentation of his skin was yet another trauma that Michael had to face in his life, that it scarred him emotionally but he got on with his life the best he could.

And you know, sometimes it is the simplest answers that make the most sense.

Michael may have changed some aspects of his physical appearance to appear more attractive to the 'mainstream' which other entertainers have done over the years. Nose jobs, skin ligthening, hair straightening are common among entertainers, whatever the race. And then Michael developed an auto-immune disease.

I feel strongly that in the continuing discourse about Michael's legacy, both the black and white communities have to seriously talk about race identity and the perceptions of race identity. And in yet another way Michael would be helping us humans to move beyond the petty and the superficial.

Excuse me, but I don't see anything "petty" or "superficial" about one's natural beauty and quite frankly it smacks of latent bigotry to dismiss it, especially in reference to black people. I am a black woman and proud of it, wasn't raised to view my race or my sex as second class. This twisted view some people have of Michael becoming "better, more beautiful, more crossover-acceptable" as his features became less African is not only disrespectful as hell, but foul and ignorant.

For those that do believe in the Christian concept of one true God creating us in his image, then that includes those of us that are of African descent: our brown to dark skin, our wide noses, our hair, etc.

And, I don't need to be color blind to appreciate and celebrate the technicolor variety Jehovah/Yahweh/Jah/Allah etc designed and created. In fact, I despise that term! It's condescending at best, ignoring the beauty that was created in a politically correct attempt to gloss over having to give it its due.

:wild: I am feeling that exact same thing in SPIRIT somewhereinthedark :clapping: I have noticed without a doubt now on the 5th Anniversary atmosphere around the scum, low life mags are changing their game and I swear Michael is being restored PUBLIC wise to one that reminds me of the era before 1992 !! I can feel it, I do hours and hours of Michael research and I am seeing it happen !!!

I am so overjoyed with love and greatfulness ! That they are finally seeing admitting and accepting the truth about Michael that he we pure innocent beautiful and a high level genius and earth angel ! They have failed and failed at every attempt to destroy him, his Fan base, his achievements, his accomplishments !
They tried with everything and mad deals with demons and dimonds ! They walked away empty handed ! The old lies and BS stories to sell the rags they work for are turning against them because now when they RE-POST or RE-RUN BS stories they lose readers due to the fact that now Michael is making a comeback larger then ever done in history by a superstar dead or live EVER !! They are receiving swift and immediate retaliation and replies from the MJ army that has now begun to move as one these and all BS stories about Michael !

All those years we fight, we defend, we persist, we show up, we show out, we OUT LOVED them and out witted them !! Because what they used to destroy him will now serve to re BUILD him ! The very thing they tried to use to hurt and separate us from him has back fired and it is proving to be the very thing that is gluing the Army together.. UNBREAKABLE, UNDENIABLE, INVINCIBLE .. we are forever :heart:

I love you all more and I tell you OUR LOVE WILL CONQUOR AND HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME !!

Our LOVE will save Michael and Us all forever and ever amen .. as it should always be..
Love lives and never dies ..

:heart:

I agree that RS did everything they could to tear Michael down when he was alive. IMO, these bastards are trying to make up NOW, for what they did to Michael. They, and all of the media, are too cowardly to ADMIT that they were wrong about Michael. This is their attempt to try and redeem themselves.I would rather see their ATTEMPTS at a POSITIVE article rather than the negative tabloid crap that they usually spew. I am enjoying this wave of positivity that Michael is receiving, albeit the source. I will take it where I can get it.

Maybe the reason that the brothas didn't give this interview to Ebony, Vibe or Essence is because those magazines didn't ASK them to do an interview on Michael. Btw, some of the people at the aforementioned magazines are getting just as shitty as those at RS.

Sheila, perhaps I was not clear in my communication.

So let me attempt this again.

To me to judge people based solely on how broad or thin their nose is or how clear or dark their skin is, is petty and superficial. Furthermore, is one's racial identity primarily or solely rooted in one's physical appearance? Michael certainly never stopped being black because he did not look black. That is what I mean by moving beyond the the petty and superficial.

I am no way suggesting that you should not be proud of your physical appearance, whatever your race.

But we also have to accept that in the entertainment industry, people of all races, do change their physical appearance. And that also has to be a part of the discussion - our concepts of the standard of beauty.

Last edited:
:wild: I am feeling that exact same thing in SPIRIT somewhereinthedark :clapping: I have noticed without a doubt now on the 5th Anniversary atmosphere around the scum, low life mags are changing their game and I swear Michael is being restored PUBLIC wise to one that reminds me of the era before 1992 !! I can feel it, I do hours and hours of Michael research and I am seeing it happen !!!

I am so overjoyed with love and greatfulness ! That they are finally seeing admitting and accepting the truth about Michael that he we pure innocent beautiful and a high level genius and earth angel ! They have failed and failed at every attempt to destroy him, his Fan base, his achievements, his accomplishments !
They tried with everything and mad deals with demons and dimonds ! They walked away empty handed ! The old lies and BS stories to sell the rags they work for are turning against them because now when they RE-POST or RE-RUN BS stories they lose readers due to the fact that now Michael is making a comeback larger then ever done in history by a superstar dead or live EVER !! They are receiving swift and immediate retaliation and replies from the MJ army that has now begun to move as one these and all BS stories about Michael !

All those years we fight, we defend, we persist, we show up, we show out, we OUT LOVED them and out witted them !! Because what they used to destroy him will now serve to re BUILD him ! The very thing they tried to use to hurt and separate us from him has back fired and it is proving to be the very thing that is gluing the Army together.. UNBREAKABLE, UNDENIABLE, INVINCIBLE .. we are forever :heart:

I love you all more and I tell you OUR LOVE WILL CONQUOR AND HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME !!

Our LOVE will save Michael and Us all forever and ever amen .. as it should always be..
Love lives and never dies ..

:heart:

:bow::gun2::smoothcriminal: Amen.

Sheila, perhaps I was not clear in my communication.

So let me attempt this again.

To me to judge people based solely on how broad or thin their nose is or how clear or dark their skin is, is petty and superficial. Furthermore, is one's racial identity primarily or solely rooted in one's physical appearance? Michael certainly never stopped being black because he did not look black. That is what I mean by moving beyond the the petty and superficial.

I am no way suggesting that you should not be proud of your physical appearance, whatever your race.

But we also have to accept that in the entertainment industry, people of all races, do change their physical appearance. And that also has to be a part of the discussion - our concepts of the standard of beauty.

I understood your post just fine and I wasn't talking about run-of-the-mill bigotry. No one can affect how I feel about my race/culture anyway! :punk: Genetics (DNA) is a more precise source of racial identity than mere appearance, which can be changed. It's the same with transgendered people: they may change their sex physically, but on the molecular level, they're still the gender they were born. You can't alter your DNA.

As for society's and/or entertainment's concept of what is beautiful, why some people fall for it/accept it as gospel is what puzzles me. Strictly speaking about Mike, if it was truly about the MUSIC, then what he looks like SHOULDN'T MATTER. That is my point! Why are some fans letting made up standards dictate who, how and why they listen and love? I don't get the shallowness of it all, because beauty is many things to me and I see it everywhere, hear it everywhere, feel it everywhere. :)

I just wished Obama would have acknowledged the great influence Michael had on him and his culture. Obama was ashamed to say anything official about Michael after his death. It was not until some reporters asked him about Michael that he reluctantly said something with of course the caveat of "he had a lot of issues".

And I would like to add that Michael imho, was not only a black superhero but a HERO to the world PERIOD.

On another point. I do love that Michael is finally being acknowledged in a positive light even though it took his death for things to turn around. Well, that is human nature sadly.

I just wished Obama would have acknowledged the great influence Michael had on him and his culture. Obama was ashamed to say anything official about Michael after his death. It was not until some reporters asked him about Michael that he reluctantly said something with of course the caveat of "he had a lot of issues".

And I would like to add that Michael imho, was not only a black superhero but a HERO to the world PERIOD.

On another point. I do love that Michael is finally being acknowledged in a positive light even though it took his death for things to turn around. Well, that is human nature sadly.

Michael was INDEED a black superhero who appealed to everyone else. Thanks/

Article means well but is just perpetuating the same myths that have been repeated over and over again for years. HIStory continues to be written wrong.

Obama is biracial, raised by his mother's family and he had little to no connection to his father's roots/culture/lifestyle. He didn't have to deal with the black experience in America like (for example) Rev Al Sharpton, FL Michelle Obama and many others did. He was raised overseas for a couple of years, too. Compared to most, he had it pretty cushy, groomed and mentored with an Ivy League education and twice elected President of the US (beating out the expected shoe-in, Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination to start the ball rolling). He had no clue about the struggle, because he was shielded from it. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. He had to shamed into acknowledging Mike's death because he couldn't relate to what boundaries Mike had to break down, had to cross and the price he paid for it.

He shouldn't have had to be shamed into acknowledging the passing of an American of Mike's stature, regardless of his race, because he not only broke records/barriers in the entertainment industry; his philanthropy is to be commended and his music brought joy across all boundaries. Dr. Cornell West, Michael Eric Dyson and Tavis Smiley have called Obama on the carpet about his many shortcomings, including Mike's passing.

Someone that means so much to millions upon millions of people around the WORLD shouldn't have been brushed off as "had issues" from his nation's leader on the day of his death. I was embarrassed as an American to see more caring and respectful accolades from other leaders pouring in from overseas!

F*ck Obama and not in a good way (and not just for throwing shade on Mike). :rant:

Furthermore, is one's racial identity primarily or solely rooted in one's physical appearance? Michael certainly never stopped being black because he did not look black.

I understood your post just fine and I wasn't talking about run-of-the-mill bigotry. No one can affect how I feel about my race/culture anyway! :punk: Genetics (DNA) is a more precise source of racial identity than mere appearance, which can be changed. It's the same with transgendered people: they may change their sex physically, but on the molecular level, they're still the gender they were born. You can't alter your DNA.

This.

Race has nothing to do with skin color. Absolutely nothing. It is in your DNA. So people can say whatever they want about his skin, but the fact remains, at the DNA level, he was a black man. Period. End of.

Why the f*** is this still an issue anyway?

This.

Race has nothing to do with skin color. Absolutely nothing. It is in your DNA. So people can say whatever they want about his skin, but the fact remains, at the DNA level, he was a black man. Period. End of.

Why the f*** is this still an issue anyway?

It's still an issue because the hate lives on, the ignorance lives on and isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so long as people keep passing it on to the next generations. Look on any message board, news site, you name it and the things posted will make your skin crawl. On any of Mike's videos on YouTube, check out the comments. . .UGH! On Facebook. . .UGH! Examples of what I saw posted on the 25th just on the Detroit Free Press' FB page ALONE: "Who cares about a dead pedo", "A dead n*gger is a good n*gger" (kudos to the page's admin for deleting posts like that one), "he should be alive and in prison", etc. etc.

I'm not holding my breath to see any real changes. . .

Back