Michael Jackson and The MTV Icon Honor

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
What was the controversy surrounding that? I heard people were upset at MTV or something...anybody know what the deal was?

Im not really sure but i think its mostly because MTV snubbded Michael for the Icon Honor and gave it to Janet instead which yeah she did deserve it bc she is a icon and i love janet but Michael should have gotten it 1st. MTV have snubbed Michael and treated him like garbage for years and after he passed they started honoring him and playing his music videos and talking about him non stop for days after he died.

I was thinking about the whole thing with Britney Spears giving him an award that wasn't real? I can't remember what happened. But from people say it wasn't nice at all.

MTV decided to bring Michael on because it was his birthday either the day of the awards or close to the date. So they bring Britney on and she says something like he was truly the artist of the millenium. they had a cake for him and this "award" in the shape of a clef note. when Michael came out he says he is truly honoured to accept the artist of the millenium award and a few other things. MTV then basically make a mockery of him by saying they had no such thing as the artist of the millenium award and made fun of him saying he wasn't aware of the situation and that they would never give out such an award (am paraphrasing here).

the feeling was that they (MTV) had set him up to make him look like a fool. we all know MJ received dozens of those kinds of awards over his lifetime (and plenty of awards ceremonies gave him awards that were not nominated awards, but rather tribute awards).
I never felt the same way about MTV and felt they completely betrayed Michael at a time when he needed the music business to be behind him.

watch

There is also a screencap floating around that was on MTVs website before they aired it saying that he got it.

yeah mtv were shown to be liars as the screen shot clearly stated he was receiving the special award (whatever it was called)

MTV decided to bring Michael on because it was his birthday either the day of the awards or close to the date. So they bring Britney on and she says something like he was truly the artist of the millenium. they had a cake for him and this "award" in the shape of a clef note. when Michael came out he says he is truly honoured to accept the artist of the millenium award and a few other things. MTV then basically make a mockery of him by saying they had no such thing as the artist of the millenium award and made fun of him saying he wasn't aware of the situation and that they would never give out such an award (am paraphrasing here).

the feeling was that they (MTV) had set him up to make him look like a fool. we all know MJ received dozens of those kinds of awards over his lifetime (and plenty of awards ceremonies gave him awards that were not nominated awards, but rather tribute awards).
I never felt the same way about MTV and felt they completely betrayed Michael at a time when he needed the music business to be behind him.

watch

I feel so bad for Michael. What a mean thing to do. Where would MTV have been without Michael in the first place? There is no respect anymore and he really needed support and he didn't get it. He always supported and he gets treated like that? Terrible.

Exactly, where would MTV have been without Michael? He made MTV. They would have been nowhere without Billie Jean, Thriller and Beat It.

Back