Michael Jackson and the Dover ferry captain

Roger Spy

Proud Member
Michael Jackson and the Dover ferry captain

_51688549_jackson.jpg

A photograph of Michael Jackson meeting an unknown P&O ferry captain has turned up in an old building in Dover.
A team at the Eastern Docks is cataloguing over 40 photo albums which date back to the 1880s.

Other finds include a letter from Winston Churchill thanking the staff at the docks and recognising the sacrifice made by people in Dover during WWII.

Now the team wants to know who the captain is, and why Jackson was on a Dover ferry. Any ideas?

Dover Harbour Board employees Chris Knight, Bob Wainwright, Andy Rintoul and Andy's father, Ian Rintoul, who all have a passion for the port and its history, are cataloguing the photographs.

Their mammoth task of sorting through records of the port's history is now entering its third year and there is still a way to go.

If you have any details of who the mystery bearded gentleman is, please email us at kent@bbc.co.uk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/kent/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9425000/9425782.stm

Well judging from Michael's looks, I'm guessing the photo was taken in 1989 or late 1988.

Michael is larger than life ! larger than love ! i'm so proud to be one of his fans while he was between us !

i think Frank Delio can have the answer for their question !

Michael is larger than life ! larger than love ! i'm so proud to be one of his fans while he was between us !

i think Frank Delio can have the answer for their question !
Same here, I take a lot of pride in being his fan, and supporting him when most of the world was only bothered to see him crucified. They say 'a real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out' well IMO same applies to a fan. It's easy to love him now, but who was there to love him back in 1993/4 or from 2003 to 2005?!

Like on Facebook, I've seen people I know add Michael Jackson to their fave artists/'genre' of music (lol) etc but those are the same ones who used to make fun of at school 5/6 years ago for being an MJ fan. Which again proves that jumping on bandwagons is an easy thing to do.
Anyways nice story.

Last edited:
I'm sure it will be some fan who will end up giving them the info they want......

Yup I emailed them.

Michael travelled on the P&O Cruise from Dover to Calais during his Bad world tour after his Wembley concerts, due to bad weather conditions he had to take the cruise instead of flying. He kept a low profile and the 2,000 passengers on board had no idea, he spent most the time in his Limo. He travelled on the pride of dover I believe.

Yup I emailed them.

Michael travelled on the P&O Cruise from Dover to Calais during his Bad world tour after his Wembley concerts, due to bad weather conditions he had to take the cruise instead of flying. He kept a low profile and the 2,000 passengers on board had no idea, he spent most the time in his Limo. He travelled on the pride of dover I believe.

:clapping:.....See, I knew someone would be on this.

Unseen Photo of Michael Jackson in… Dover?

A previously unseen photograph of Michael Jackson has been uncovered by history buffs at the Port of Dover.

mjdevonmjnewsalerts.jpg

The precious find was revealed by a team of employees at the eastern docks who are currently cataloguing 42 photo albums dating back to the 1880s.

The picture was found when Dover Harbour Board workers Chris Knight, Bob Wainwright, Andy Rintoul and retired Ian Rintoul decided they wanted to preserve the history of the port for future generations.

But never did they imagine finding such treasures.

As well as old black and white images of Hollywood star Catherine Zeta Jones with actress Pam Ferris taken at the port during the Darling Buds of May heyday, a picture of pop icon Michael Jackson shaking hands with an unnamed ferry captain during a trip to the UK was also discovered.

The team’s work, which is being carried out voluntarily, is entering its third year, with advice from archivists at Dover Museum, Kent Archives and Canterbury Cathedral.
It first began when Mr Knight and Ian Rintoul noticed some of the port’s historical photo albums were deteriorating.

Despite most photos being in good condition, except for a few damp stains, the pair felt action should be taken to preserve them for staff reference, local knowledge and national heritage.

Armed with scanners, copying stands and cameras, the team secured a site within the eastern docks and started the archiving process.

Mr Knight said: “The team is photographing the contents of the 42 albums, filing by the year if possible and storing the pictures onto our computer system while I scan the loose photographs and any associated copy onto a laptop.

“The aim is that staff will eventually be able to access all the photographs using a subject search to satisfy any enquiries from the public while the originals are stored away in suitable containers.”

The archivists are continuing to work through the undiscovered treasures before revealing more historical gems.

Do you know why Michael Jackson was at the port? If so, please leave a comment or email marijke.cox@kosmedia.co.uk.
http://home.mjnewsalerts.com/2011/03/15/unseen-photo-of-michael-jackson-in-dover/

Yup I emailed them.

Hey,

Thank you so much for sharing that, can I add that info to the post please?

Also, here is the photo in higher quality,

http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.ph..._mjindovermjnewsalertscopyright_122_348lo.jpg

Back