Michael Jackson an Icon of Style Again

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson an icon of style again

By BOOTH MOORE

The Los Angeles Times

For his song “Smooth Criminal,” Michael Jackson sports a 1940s-inspired pinstripe suit by Michael Bush.
In Michael Jackson’s “This Is It,” moviegoers do not see the elaborate costumes created for the tour that never was, bedazzled with 4 million Swarovski crystals and lighted up using LED technology. Those are on display at the O2 Arena in London, where the engagement had been scheduled to begin in July, and will go on to New York and Tokyo.

But what they do see, in addition to tough and tender moments that humanize the pop singer, and one hell of a music and dance show, is an amazing array of designer outfits Jackson wore to rehearsals. A black leather, pagoda-sleeve jacket and a crystal-trimmed tuxedo are among pieces designed by the likes of Christophe Decarnin for Balmain, Kris Van Assche for Dior Homme and Tom Ford that speak to Jackson’s renewed relevance in fashion circles and the changing relationship between music and fashion.

Jackson became a style icon in the 1980s because of his individual, often theatrical styles for the stage — the single sequined glove, the white socks, the fedora. But his recent comeback effort was engineered with the help of fashion designers, with Decarnin recognizing the retro appeal of tennis-ball-shaped shoulders and over-the-top embroidery.
We had been used to seeing Jackson show up for courtroom appearances in scrubs, surgical masks, armbands and other kooky attire, some of it created by his longtime Los Angeles costume designers Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins, who have a Michael mannequin in their Los Feliz studio.
But his look changed with fashion stylist Rushka Bergman, and it is her work that is mostly front and center in the film, as Jackson’s everyday clothes end up as his de facto costumes. A pint-sized powerhouse from Serbia who says things like “forever daaahling,” Bergman met Jackson when she styled him in Dior Homme for the October 2007 issue of Italian L’Uomo Vogue.

Some might say it was the beginning of his comeback when she put him in Hedi Slimane’s slim-line suits, fashionable at the time with Mick Jagger, Beck, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand and nearly every other credible male rocker.
The morning of the film’s premiere, Bergman pulled out snapshots of Jackson trying on clothes at his house, and called him her “supermodel” because he fit into anything, including women’s clothes. She emphasized his sex appeal (“He’s sooooooo sexxxy!”), which comes into focus in the film for the first time in a long time, despite Jackson’s surgerized face.
“When he wears Balmain on screen, you say, Wow!’” she said.
In the film, Jackson looks fabulous much of the time, save for a few unfortunate print shirts and patched sweat pants that could well be the influence of Los Angeles fashion impresario Christian Audigier, who had approached Jackson about collaborating on a line.

But more often, you notice sharp tailoring and light-reflecting color. In a Tom Ford tuxedo worn during dancer auditions; skinny orange Dior Homme jeans, a red leather Balmain motorcycle jacket with crystal-studded shoulders worn at the “Thriller” rehearsal; a Balmain suede military jacket worn with Alessandro Dell’Acqua gold sequin pants, Jackson looks powerful and contemporary.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/movies/story/1558987.html

Michael Jackson an icon of style again

By BOOTH MOORE

The Los Angeles Times

For his song “Smooth Criminal,” Michael Jackson sports a 1940s-inspired pinstripe suit by Michael Bush.
In Michael Jackson’s “This Is It,” moviegoers do not see the elaborate costumes created for the tour that never was, bedazzled with 4 million Swarovski crystals and lighted up using LED technology. Those are on display at the O2 Arena in London, where the engagement had been scheduled to begin in July, and will go on to New York and Tokyo.

But what they do see, in addition to tough and tender moments that humanize the pop singer, and one hell of a music and dance show, is an amazing array of designer outfits Jackson wore to rehearsals. A black leather, pagoda-sleeve jacket and a crystal-trimmed tuxedo are among pieces designed by the likes of Christophe Decarnin for Balmain, Kris Van Assche for Dior Homme and Tom Ford that speak to Jackson’s renewed relevance in fashion circles and the changing relationship between music and fashion.

Jackson became a style icon in the 1980s because of his individual, often theatrical styles for the stage — the single sequined glove, the white socks, the fedora. But his recent comeback effort was engineered with the help of fashion designers, with Decarnin recognizing the retro appeal of tennis-ball-shaped shoulders and over-the-top embroidery.
We had been used to seeing Jackson show up for courtroom appearances in scrubs, surgical masks, armbands and other kooky attire, some of it created by his longtime Los Angeles costume designers Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins, who have a Michael mannequin in their Los Feliz studio.
But his look changed with fashion stylist Rushka Bergman, and it is her work that is mostly front and center in the film, as Jackson’s everyday clothes end up as his de facto costumes. A pint-sized powerhouse from Serbia who says things like “forever daaahling,” Bergman met Jackson when she styled him in Dior Homme for the October 2007 issue of Italian L’Uomo Vogue.

Some might say it was the beginning of his comeback when she put him in Hedi Slimane’s slim-line suits, fashionable at the time with Mick Jagger, Beck, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand and nearly every other credible male rocker.
The morning of the film’s premiere, Bergman pulled out snapshots of Jackson trying on clothes at his house, and called him her “supermodel” because he fit into anything, including women’s clothes. She emphasized his sex appeal (“He’s sooooooo sexxxy!”), which comes into focus in the film for the first time in a long time, despite Jackson’s surgerized face.
“When he wears Balmain on screen, you say, Wow!’” she said.
In the film, Jackson looks fabulous much of the time, save for a few unfortunate print shirts and patched sweat pants that could well be the influence of Los Angeles fashion impresario Christian Audigier, who had approached Jackson about collaborating on a line.

But more often, you notice sharp tailoring and light-reflecting color. In a Tom Ford tuxedo worn during dancer auditions; skinny orange Dior Homme jeans, a red leather Balmain motorcycle jacket with crystal-studded shoulders worn at the “Thriller” rehearsal; a Balmain suede military jacket worn with Alessandro Dell’Acqua gold sequin pants, Jackson looks powerful and contemporary.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/movies/story/1558987.html

love it :D

hot papa LOL romi. you crack me up! :lol:

I might put that in my siggy. Mike's a Hot Papa!! :p

Yeah, good bussines. Those companies will push their products to get more cash from Mj name.. Honestly I do not like those slim women's jackets on Michael.

MJ style is everywhere in the shops. Every fashionable shop I've been in has a sparkly black jacket like the Motown 25 one, black fedoras, and lots of military jackets.. some of which are very VERY similar to specific ones Michael wore...and then theres all the buckled stuff and the belts like Bad era. I see MJ influence everywhere. And of course the Balmain inspired jackets are in the stores and MJ was the first person I saw wearing those statement shoulders!

The national press should acknowledge the style icon mj too.

he's sooooooo sexxxy!
She got that right.

MJ style is everywhere in the shops. Every fashionable shop I've been in has a sparkly black jacket like the Motown 25 one, black fedoras, and lots of military jackets.. some of which are very VERY similar to specific ones Michael wore...and then theres all the buckled stuff and the belts like Bad era. I see MJ influence everywhere. And of course the Balmain inspired jackets are in the stores and MJ was the first person I saw wearing those statement shoulders!

She got that right.

Yep, lotsa' 'Beat It' jackets too.

She got that right.

:clap::clap::clap: Agreed to everything you posted.

However, I still think ladies Balmain looked terrible on him-it didn't compliment him at all cuz they never fit right.

The Legend (and his fashion)

This Is It wardrobe reveals Jackson's affinity for flash and cutting-edge technology is still thrilling

By Derick Chetty
Fashion Reporter
Published On Thu Nov 05 2009

I went for the music but stayed for the style.

I saw Michael Jackson's This Is It on the weekend – along with millions of other fans from around the globe helping the box office registers hit $101 million. Thriller was the first album I bought as a teenager and I was prepared for a musical trip back to my youth.

But the documentary film based on his rehearsals for the 50 concert dates in London that would never happen, turned out to be an unexpected fashion movie. It showed the pop legend not just at the top of his game as a performer but also surprisingly as a cutting edge fashionista.

Jackson showed up for rehearsals dressed in some of the hottest fashion labels today – Balmain, Dior Homme and Tom Ford. And that was tame compared to the spectacular costumes created for the concerts. The film only revealed sketches of the actual costumes that sadly would never hit the stage.

One of the costume designers, New York- based Zaldy, says in the film, that they were working with scientists in the Netherlands to develop technologically advanced clothing just for Jackson's performances. Some of the innovations included LED technology that would actually light up Swarovski crystals. His iconic, single crystal-encrusted glove, remade for the new millennium, could apparently be lit via remote control.

Ironically, it's the costumes that will go on tour. Currently on display at the O2 Arena, the concert venue in London, the costumes will make pit stops in New York and Tokyo and will be seen on the DVD.

While Jackson's style was unquestionably influential back in his Thriller days, his later years were scandal-riddled and his image became a pop culture joke – surgical masks, heavy kohl rimmed eyes and anchor-woman hairdo.

Back in the '90s, when he was staging a comeback, it was said that even Gianni Versace had refused to dress him.

But fast-forward a decade or so and – even in the months before Jackson's death – a few visionary designers were having a Michael Jackson fashion moment.

Christophe Decarnin, the designer at the red-hot Paris label Balmain was the first to sense the time was ripe to plunder the iconic looks of Jackson. He single-handedly revived those glittery military jackets. Today, you can't walk through a mall without stumbling on an army of these gold-buttoned Sgt. Pepper jackets.

In the movie, Jackson's tall, skinny frame was perfect for Balmain's high armholed and slim cut blazers with pagoda shoulders – which had been designed for women.

And, still proving to be the King of Bling, he also wore to rehearsals gold-sequined pants from a recent collection of Alessandro Dell'Acqua and a tuxedo jacket with crystal-covered lapels. Obviously, Jackson was still loving the looks he had inspired years earlier.

Even that legendary red Thriller leather jacket – seen for just a few seconds in the film – got an update from Balmain: shrunken with the sleeves almost three-quarter length, which suited Jackson's man-child demeanour. The movie is a reminder of Jackson's many influences on fashion.

And while these designer updates made him look utterly cool and contemporary, one can't help but wonder – what if that concert juggernaut had gone ahead?

If Jackson were alive, would he have created another tidal wave in the fashion world?
Forget The September Issue – if you're looking for the fashion movie of the season, this is it.

http://www.thestar.com/living/fashion/article/721075--the-legend-and-his-fashion

---

Just to note, this story made the front page top banner of the Toronto Star (one of Canada's largest national papers).

Anything is for profit. It doesn't surprise me. It is nothing to do with respecting Michael in his legacy by those companies and stores.
It would be better if the government and officials did something good to remember his name. Never gonna happen....

Back