Michael Jackson Among Apollo Inductees

Moulin Rouge

Proud Member
Legendary Venue Celebrating 75th Anniversary

Updated: Wednesday, 31 Mar 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 31 Mar 2010, 11:36 AM EDT
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loc...l-jackson-among-apollo-inductees-20100331-apx

NEW YORK (AP) -- Michael Jackson and Aretha Franklin will be inducted into the Apollo Theater's hall of fame in New York City.
The late King of Pop and the Queen of Soul will be honored with the Apollo Legends Hall of Fame on June 14 at the historic Harlem theater.
Jackson first performed at the Apollo at its Amateur Night with his brothers in the late 1960s. They won, and their career as the Jackson Five was launched.
Franklin is scheduled to attend the ceremony.
The event also will honor Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony with the theater's arts and humanitarian award.
Past hall of fame inductees include Quincy Jones, Patti Labelle and Ella Fitzgerald.
The legendary theater is celebrating its 75th anniversary.

That is great. I wish Michael was here to accept that. I wonder if anyone will be accepting for him. I hope it's okay to say this but all these nice things are well deserved but bittersweet. I feel happy and sad at the same time.

Nice to know that he'll be getting this honor, so wish he was here to accept himself.

If anyone deserves this it's Michael...and Aretha, of course. Wish he were here to enjoy it.

This info from the Apollo website says it will be hosted by Jamie Foxx:

http://www.apollotheater.org/events.htm

SPRING BENEFIT 2010

APOLLO THEATER TO REMEMBER A KING AND CELEBRATE A QUEEN
2010 Annual Spring Benefit Concert and Awards Ceremony
Monday, June 14, 2010

Hosted by comedian, multi-platinum recording artist and Oscar-award winning actor Jamie Foxx, this year’s Concert & Awards Ceremony will feature the induction of two royal new honorees into the Apollo Legends Hall of Fame: the undisputed King of Pop Michael Jackson, and the one and only Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin.

The awards ceremony will continue with the Ruby Dee & Ossie Davis Arts and Humanitarian Award presented to superstar couple Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony. The Theater’s annual corporate will be presented to JP Morgan Chase for its ongoing commitment to the Apollo and the Harlem community.

The evening will begin at 6:30 p.m. with a star-studded red carpet, followed by the Benefit concert and awards ceremony at 7:00 p.m. and culminating with a grand tented after-party, the Apollo Supper Club.

For more details, please click here to view the press release for the Apollo’s 2010 Gala.

To purchase tickets, please click here or call Nicole Judd at 212.531.5330.

Yes he should have been in ages ago but so glad he is part of this. He's a part of Apollo history and its only fitting for the king to be in there. Just wish he was here to accept it.

Truly a legend and very much deserved. No question. As well as Aretha.
But these kind of honors and awards make me queezy in the stomach
because it's like too late really. Ya know?

The only way I can be happy about this is if I believe he's looking down seeing all this. I wish he was here, or they did it years ago.

Do they put a plaque or something there for people to see? I wonder at these hall of fames like the rock and roll one too what they do.

Yes he should have been in ages ago but so glad he is part of this. He's a part of Apollo history and its only fitting for the king to be in there. Just wish he was here to accept it.

I thought these inductions were fairly recent.

Started in 2004

HARLEM, N.Y., May 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The Apollo Theater

Foundation, Inc., announced today that on Monday, June 2, 2008, it will host its fourth annual Hall of Fame Induction & Gala -- a magnificent affair that includes a glamorous red carpet, a tribute concert and awards ceremony and a grand tented after-party. The star-studded event will bring together the best and brightest in business and entertainment to raise funds in support of the Apollo's 74-year legacy and its initiatives for emerging artists, education programs and community outreach efforts in New York City
and beyond.

Back