Michael Crowned As Indiana's (MJs Homeland) Best Solo Artist

Justice!

Proud Member
More positive vibes...:)

(1-7-2008) PRESS RELEASE: THE BOSTON PHOENIX AND THEPHOENIX.COM CROWN MICHAEL JACKSON AS INDIANA'S BEST SOLO ARTIST

July 1, 2008 — The Boston Phoenix and thePhoenix.com announced today the release of its inaugural “50 Bands/50 States” list: a declaration of the All-Time Best Band, All-Time Best Solo Artist, and Best New Band from each of the 50 states. The piece highlights defining moments for each of the 150 winning artists, delivered in the opinionated manner of America’s brashest alternative weekly.

The star of that group was MICHAEL JACKSON [...] who was named Indiana's all-time best solo artist. Additionally, The Jackson 5 were named Indiana's all-time best band.

The entire list can be found at www.thephoenix.com/50states.

The criteria for the survey were as follows::

* All-Time Best Band: based on where the band was formed. Winners range from the obvious (Velvet Underground in New York) to the historic (the Mississippi Sheiks in Mississippi) to the lesser-known (the Pink Slips in North Dakota).

* All-Time Best Solo Artist: one ground rule here — the artist had to be born in that state. If the state you’re born in is good enough to follow you around on your passport for the rest of your life, it’s good enough for this list. Our winners range from Motown superstar Stevie Wonder (Michigan) to native Aleut psychedelic nuggeteer Agafon Krukoff (Alaska) to psychobilly pioneer Hasil Adkins (West Virginia).

The Phoenix has a 40-year history of groundbreaking criticism, having been home to some of the country’s best-known music and movie critics (including Pulitzer-winning classical-music writer Lloyd Schwartz).

More about the PM/CG: the company was founded in 1966 when the Boston Phoenix began as a four-page arts-and-entertainment weekly. The Phoenix is the flagship property of the Phoenix Media/Communications Group, which in addition to the Phoenix weekly newspapers in Rhode Island and Maine and Stuff@Night, comprises the FNX Radio Network; Phoenix Interactive (thePhoenix.com, fnxradio.com, stuffatnight.com); Phoenix Ventures (the sports and magazine group that publishes the official yearbooks for the Boston Bruins, the Boston Celtics, and the Boston Marathon); People2People Group (audiotext and social networking applications); g8wave (marketing and content using SMS and other mobile technologies); and Mass Web Printing (four-color offset printing).

Source:The Boston Phoenix/The Boston Crown

Last edited:
Well DUH is right....

Although Babyface ani't no joke, but I'm just sayin'....

Best Group in Illinois???? There will be many arguments with that choice, given that the bands Chicago and EWF hail from Illinois...

I am pleasantly surprised.. they could have easily names John Cougar Mellencamp as Indiana's all-time best artist...

or James Dean if its just not limited to music...

I am really happy and surprised.... great going Indiana

I have to say I'm disappointed. It should have been the best singer in all 50 states. :D

I am a lifelong Indiana resident. I have always loved the fact that MJ is orginally a hoosier. I am so proud of the entire Jackson Family, especially Mike.

Back