Michael at the James Brown concert at the Beverly 1983

barbee0715

Proud Member
OK-this has been driving me absolutely crazy for quite a few years, and since there are so many people on this forum that know all Michael Jackson songs, snippets of songs, unreleased songs, leaked songs, songs that he sang with other people-I figure one of YOU ALL will know the answer.

What is the James Brown song that Michael sings here when he comes on stage? I know he dances to "The Thrill is Gone", but not sure what the first song is. I think he even sings a bit of it when he gives James the award at the BET awards.

I have listened to every single James Brown song I can find on YouTube-even the really old ones, when he actually sang (and well), and didn't just grunt or say "hah"-and I can NOT find it. Googling it and asking on YT hasn't helped me either.

I have listened to every single James Brown song I can find on YouTube-even the really old ones, when he actually sang (and well), and didn't just grunt or say "hah"
:D
I love James Brown but this made me laugh.

The band is playing It's A Man's Man's Man's World when Michael is singing. James Brown actually invites MJ near the end of his performance of this song. MJ's singing is just improvised.

Btw, it's not The Thrill Is Gone that the band breaks into when MJ starts dancing, but There Was A Time. The Thrill Is Gone is a BB King song, which actually was performed during the same show (but by BB himself).

And during the 2003 BET Awards, when MJ and JB dance together, the band is playing the bridge to Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine.

I've seen this action hundreds of times and it always amazes me so much energy
Thank you

Just using this thread to promote a couple of James Brown questions I had.

Is that the one where MJ told James Brown to invite a drunk/high Prince onstage after he performed just to make Prince look bad

Back