Michael and Peter Pan Syndrome

Graf

Proud Member
I guess my Question is did Michael have Peter Pan Syndrome? How has it played a part in his life? (in any way, musically or personally)

edit: Well explained everyone, thank you :jump: very much

Last edited:
I don't think it really was who he was. I think it was a public persona he put on. A way to identify with the world through the entertainment business. But I have heard too much about MJ's personal life to think he was really engrossed in this Peter Pan fantasy.

Hmmm I see

Last edited:
I don't think it really was who he was. I think it was a public persona he put on. A way to identify with the world through the entertainment business. But I have heard too much about MJ's personal life to think he was really engrossed in this Peter Pan fantasy.

Totally agree! REP!

You know there are some people who are non-MJ fans..who ask why did MJ called his area where he live neverland? well neverland is a place where you dont grow up and you can be a child forever. I think MJ build it to feel at home with his personailty. For people who dont know what is neverland ..i ask them to watch the disney movies or learn about what neverland is.

You honestly think that him building Neverland, playing games all the time, acting childlike was all a "public persona"? Also,I believe he truly was engrossed in the Peter Pan fantasy.

We'll never truly know because we didn't live with him nor was he ever psychologically profiled in any way. Anything anyone says is really all just speculation.

He seemed to have many public personas which could all very well be part of who you are as well.

Some people collect smurfs, others dragons- does that mean they are engrossed in being a smurf or dragon? No, they are just comfortable doing that and there's something inside of them that draws them to it. It's just a facet of who you are.

So is Michael. He also shared his sanctuary which to me indicates he built it not only for himself but already thought of sharing it and enriching other people's lives with it, not just his own.

Have you checked the long lines at every water park, amusement park, Disneyland? A lot of people are apparently "refusing" to grow up. I love it when grown guys act all cool, "I'm here for the kids" but who's the giddiest going down the Big Kahuna??
And, he said often that he just couldn't do any of that safely without it becoming work all over again. He couldn't go out to dance just to dance- it became a show all over, he couldn't just go buy a ticket for Disneyland- 'cause we'd be the first to make videos of him walking through Disneyland...so, he had the means to do these things on his own property and SHARE it, which is what it is all about anyway. The most beautiful thing/experience can get lonely if you can't share the beauty of it.

People have hobbies, draws, things they like. They are facets, so is Peter Pan. It's the facets that make the total diamond, not the just one or two. And you need all the facets to see the whole diamond.

Don't forget the Green Giant. :bugeyed:D Or is there a Green Giant Syndrome as well?:cheeky:

I guess my Question is, How do you think by being a Puer aeternus(Peter Pan Syndrome) played a part in his life? (in any way, musically or personally) , Im interested in discussing this
Hm, to me it's just one of the way of thinking. You can think in many ways. Just as his music could be concern for social injustice, emotional longing, sexual expression, the enjoyment, the fear inside oneself- maybe the way of "thinking Peter Pan" could have helped being compassionate, understanding the point of view that children are coming from. Many adults don't want to remember the thought process of a child, usually because nobody wanted to THEM the favor when they were children- but to me it's all just part of the big picture of who he was.

In the end I see him as grown adult, man who simply had a lot more on his plate than most adults are capable of handling. I do not see him as Peter Pan AT ALL, I just see that he was trying to extract the positives in what he saw- and see how that resonated with something in himself- just as he admired certain qualities in children.

Last edited:
He seemed to have many public personas which could all very well be part of who you are as well.

Some people collect smurfs, others dragons- does that mean they are engrossed in being a smurf or dragon? No, they are just comfortable doing that and there's something inside of them that draws them to it. It's just a facet of who you are.

So is Michael. He also shared his sanctuary which to me indicates he built it not only for himself but already thought of sharing it and enriching other people's lives with it, not just his own.

Have you checked the long lines at every water park, amusement park, Disneyland? A lot of people are apparently "refusing" to grow up. I love it when grown guys act all cool, "I'm here for the kids" but who's the giddiest going down the Big Kahuna??
And, he said often that he just couldn't do any of that safely without it becoming work all over again. He couldn't go out to dance just to dance- it became a show all over, he couldn't just go buy a ticket for Disneyland- 'cause we'd be the first to make videos of him walking through Disneyland...so, he had the means to do these things on his own property and SHARE it, which is what it is all about anyway. The most beautiful thing/experience can get lonely if you can't share the beauty of it.

People have hobbies, draws, things they like. They are facets, so is Peter Pan. It's the facets that make the total diamond, not the just one or two. And you need all the facets to see the whole diamond.

Don't forget the Green Giant. :bugeyed:D Or is there a Green Giant Syndrome as well?:cheeky:

Hm, to me it's just one of the way of thinking. You can think in many ways. Just as his music could be concern for social injustice, emotional longing, sexual expression, the enjoyment, the fear inside oneself- maybe the way of "thinking Peter Pan" could have helped being compassionate, understanding the point of view that children are coming from. Many adults don't want to remember the thought process of a child, usually because nobody wanted to THEM the favor when they were children- but to me it's all just part of the big picture of who he was.

In the end I see him as grown adult, man who simply had a lot more on his plate than most adults are capable of handling. I do not see him as Peter Pan AT ALL, I just see that he was trying to extract the positives in what he saw- and see how that resonated with something in himself- just as he admired certain qualities in children.

you put it really good.i also believe he was fascinated with child s ability to create whole new world with their imagination,they really some time have simple solution for adult problem,they don't judge at least up to particular age.and their innocence.

They give a syndrome to anything and everything these days lol

Everyone has that child deep down in there somewhere. I don't think michael had a problem, he just wanted to have fun. When you spend your childhood working and you have the luxury to enjoy life later on why not take advantage of it.

That child in him played a big role in his life because he was able to relate to children and do many wonderful things for them but it also hurt him. Peope believe adults should act a certain way and when you don't you are outcasted even if you don't do anything criminal. His kindness was taken for granted and he trusted the wrong kinds of people.

The real world sucks sometimes so if you can get away to magical land for a while i think it's great, michael created his own Neverland. He may have stayed in that fantasy a little too long sometimes lol but there is no wrong in trying to see the good in people and remaining youthful.

wiki is a place where u can't always know if something is accurate. not saying it's never accurate, but not saying it's always accurate. secondly, these people..professors....they study too much, and a lot of what they say is based on how they saw things in their era. maybe it's a fantasy on THEIR part. and not the subject's part. i mean, there's one instance there based at the time, before Hitler. maybe the professors were influenced by their feelings on that. and the latest explanation is suspiciously attributed to the years 1983, 1984, and some of the other years of Michael Jackson's success..so..i think they were studying Michael, too much, and garnering their own fantasies, that can come about when their minds are too preoccupied, to be responsible in their own lives, instead of worrying about Michael's life. i also think they were trying too hard to pick apart a major success story, such as Michael. and i think that is the human nature, when a person wishes they had Michael's success, instead of Michael having it. there's a little envy in their explanations, as they decide that they are the ones to determine the positive and negative aspects of something. the reality is Michael is the most responsible human being i have ever seen. it's in the world of the observers who try to dress him down, in their explanations, that the atmosphere of irresponsibility lies.

I never thought he had Peter Pan syndrome. I just thought he was into what he was into. Like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter Enthusiasts. (Ravenclaw RULES!) I like Peter Pan, but I'm more of an Alice in Wonderland girl myself! Who hasn't been down the rabbit hole at various times in their lives?

I think people made a bigger deal out of that just to have something to bump gums about. Michael's view of Neverland was quite Disneyfied. I've always wanted to know what he thought of the true Neverland--the one in the book I mean.

Never Never Land makes you forget. The kids had occasional fun playing pretend, but sometimes pretend meant not getting anything to eat, the pirates and the "Redskins" were bloodthirsty, and the fairies drank to intoxication and had orgies. (Okay, maybe that last part is cool!)

Never Never Land makes you forget. The kids had occasional fun playing pretend, but sometimes pretend meant not getting anything to eat, the pirates and the "Redskins" were bloodthirsty, and the fairies drank to intoxication and had orgies. (Okay, maybe that last part is cool!)

:bugeyed:blink:

"the peter pan syndrome: An adult male's reluctance and/or incapability of growing up on a mental state."
" term used to describe an adult who is socially immature."
  • Emotions become paralyzed and exaggerated
  • Anger turns into rage
  • Joy turns into hysteria
  • Disappointment develops into depression or self-pity
How the Peter Pan Syndrome Affects Men’s Lives

Males diagnosed with this syndrome

• Have difficulty expressing love
  • Refuse to share their feelings
  • Lose touch with their emotions and have no idea what they feel
  • Procrastinate
  • Feel guilt and have difficulty in relaxing
  • Have no real connection with friends. Believes friends can only be bought
  • Easily panic and feel desperately alone in their attempts to belong
The idea of apologizing for inappropriate behavior is not an option. Blame is placed on other’s shortcomings so they do not have to focus on their own limitations and vulnerabilities. Alcohol or drug abuse is used to get high in order to drown out the existence of daily life challenges.
Relationships with Parents

Men suffering from the Peter Pan Syndrome have a

• Hang up with their mother
  • The anger and guilt they feel are interwoven, masking their conflicted feelings for the mother
  • The relationship with the father is estranged
  • They believe that the father’s love and approval are unobtainable
  • Have problems with authority figures
  • Tend to be emotionally immature
  • Exhibit silly behavior
  • Have a macho attitude that hides their deep inner insecurities in attempts to hide the fear of rejection
Relationships with Women

When the male forms attachment with a woman they

• Become extremely jealous and exhibit violent outbursts
  • Become easily provoked to fits of rage when a woman asserts any independence
http://emotional-verbal-abuse.suite101.com/article.cfm/male_socialization

What I know of Michael and the picture that I've got of him none of these symptons describe him. No he didn't have a peter pan syndrome. I think most of it was created for the image that was Michael Jackson. Not the real MJ.

Michael, like many celebrities, had a public persona. Whilst he indulged in childlike fantasies, he was very much an adult. He wasnt as naive as the majority of the public believed him to be, he just appreciated child like innocence, something that is unfortunaly now lost in this world... therfore making many believe his behaviour was not 'normal'.

I dont think there is this peter pan syndrome thing. Michael just relates a bit with Peter Pan and the media starting to make him like having a like disease or "syndrome". If it wasn't Michael, I think Peter Pan syndrome did not exist at all.

Back