Michael Academically

BillieJean84

Proud Member
Did Katherine ever speak about what a student Michael was & what was Michael good at in school? If he went to public school.?

I'm thinking History, Math, Art & Literature

I dont know about actual school.. I know he had some honorary degrees.. I do know his biggest passions were.. History, and Art.. He loved Books and reading and had an extensive library.

However.. Ive seen his writings and I would say, or guess that english was not his best subject.
He often mispelled words. He would switch from printing to cursive to printing to cursive. This not totally uncommon but certainly not correct. Also his writing style seems very young.. Its my guess that given his demanding schedule and success.. he completed all he HAD to.. Then gave up actual school.
But Im just guessing.

i think she said he liked to learned and he loved geography...

What he lacked in spelling and grammar, he made up for in other areas: I have read on numerous occassions that he read a lot of books on History, Black History, WWII, Art, Film, Photography, Medicine, Psychology and he remembered a lot of it too - the MJ bodyguards mentioned it a couple of times.

Michael himself usually said that he just did a few hours with a tutor and then went of to the recording studio. Sounds like that was just the very basic stuff he had to do. I don't know what kind of laws were on the books back in the day about homeschooling. Homeschooling laws today are very specific.

I do recall seeing one documentary and I really don't remember anymore which one it was- but they were interviewing one music teacher and she clearly recalled how this little guy (Michael) was very clear and precise in his wish that HE would sing this song and how he would this. I think that was a music teacher from his very early days before they had signed with either record company when Michael was still going to school.

That's all I recall ever hearing about his schooling.

The other thing that sticks out is Michael's own education that he gave himself- especially in the arts. And that's shaping a much more clearer picture now.

In the David Nordahl interview Mr. Nordahl states that Michael asked for lessons, drawing and sketching it sounds like.

Another thing that comes to mind is Seth Riggs who was Michael's vocal coach for decades- which in itself is pretty remarkable.
And Mr. Riggs always speaks very highly of Michael and with Love. I find it wonderful that Michael had that kind of mentor and vocal coach for such a long, it's very stabilizing when your mentor and teacher is going such a long way with you.
Nobody will be prouder of your achievements in the music world as your mentor.

In the "Michael and Ballet" thread I posted an article on Irina Brecher, whose expertise Michael had wanted to hire for Ballet lessons. (I'm sure he had those in the past as well)
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3077126#post3077126

Haven't heard as of yet that Michael hired anyone for Algebra, which I don't find surprising. (although I could see how he would be into Physics and Quantum Physics)

MJinlibraryblackframe.jpg

But here's an interesting article about Michael's later interest.

Michael's basically an autodidact, seeking out the information that interests him. Many people described him as very well read. In the Larry Nimmer documentary that was partially shown in court to document that Neverland wasn't the sinister place that some described it at- you see mountains upon mountains of books- and not just those nice looking editions you see in his library.

Michael Jackson ‘wanted to study fine art at University’
Submitted by Jatin Malhotra on Sun, 11/29/2009 - 19:13.

London, Nov 29 : Late King of Pop Michael Jackson was reportedly planning to head back to the classroom to become a qualified art historian after his daughter Paris begged him to follow his dream of studying.

Michael-Jackson-3652.jpg

The singer, who died in June, aged 50, wanted to do a university course in fine art but it was his 11-year-old daughter who gave her famous dad the push he needed to study.

Last May, Michael got his assistants to contact both Christie’s Education and Sotheby’s Institute of Art, both in New York, with a view to starting a year-long course in September next year.

“It was all because of Paris that Michael decided to follow his dream,” the Daily Star quoted a source as saying.

“She gave him the confidence to finally contact the colleges that are attached to the famous auction houses,” the source added.

The course Jackson had pencilled in was called “Certificate in Modern Art, Connoisseurship and the History of the Art Market”.

“Michael regretted the fact that he never got the chance to go to university because his music career started so early,” the source said.

“But he made up for it by reading widely. He absolutely devoured books on art and crafts and was an avid collector. He had an insatiable thirst for knowledge.

“People don’t realise but Michael was surrounded by a whole gang of academic friends. Many of his closest associates had nothing to do with showbiz.

“He was also inspired by a motivation to prove his father wrong, as Joe Jackson constantly accused Michael of being stupid. Most of all, Michael wanted to be an inspiration to his own kids,” the source added. (ANI)

http://www.topnews.in/michael-jackson-wanted-study-fine-art-university-2241086

Last edited:
I remember reading an article by one of MJ's lawyers, apparently he was taken aback by the way he knew so much about the court procedure, the roots and history, going back as far as Socrates' time.

I remember reading an article by one of MJ's lawyers, apparently he was taken aback by the way he knew so much about the court procedure, the roots and history, going back as far as Socrates' time.

Yes. Michael was an avid reader and had hunger to know more and more on other subjects. He certainly read all types of books.

thats cool so his plan was to go to school for that??? lol how would that be to have michael jackson in your dorm room. "Tutoring" MJ...

Did Katherine ever speak about what a student Michael was & what was Michael good at in school? If he went to public school.?

I'm thinking History, Math, Art & Literature

I think I saw in an old tape a copy of one of his report cards in elementary school. I think he had A's in English and some other subjects. (Now, you've done it. When I get home tonight I'm going to try to find that tape. I'll post the grades if I find it).

Cool read thanks. Michael would've made a grade art historian.

Back