"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

I would be somewhat surprised and disappointed if you don’t watch it. You’ve engaged here with much interest and added a lot to the thread. You are one of the most active fans on the subject which shows you are intrigued to a large extent.

The film is going to open a whole lot of different discussions and you are surely going to want to be in that loop.

Perhaps rather than say “Not sure if I’ll be watching the film” a better perspective is “I’m somewhat conflicted about certain elements of the film at this point in time but would like to think I’ll go and see it”

I understand (to an extent) fans issues with costume, hair etc, but they will be secondary to the actual performance(s). Ultimately a large part of your opinion on the film will be on the screenplay (written script) and the cast, after you’ve seen it. Only then will you have a fully formed opinion, and ultimately that is what you’ll want.
I completely agree. It would be a real shame if @zinniabooklover did not watch the movie.

You're pretty invested in the thread and enjoy seeing the cast updates and pictures etc.

I can understand your reasons for not wanting to watch, hopefully the trailer and positive reactions (I hope) to the movie will be too much to resist 😀

I don't have a problem with this specific question. I think it came up already, earlier in the thread. So far we haven't got the faintest idea how they are going to tackle it, assuming they go all the way which they have implied they will.

Make-up? CGI?

I haven't seen the musical but the photos from the end of the show I find very jarring bc of the darker skin tone. I understand that it's more difficult for a theatre production to tackle this but the film will need to grapple with it. They will already have made their decision on this, it's just that we don't know what the plan is. Jaafar's skin tone in that MITM photo that was released, it was too dark.

I'm taking it for granted they will include the vitiligo in the story line bc how else can they expect the audience to understand? Younger people or the general public who don't know much about Michael do need to have this properly explained to them. Not everyone who goes to see the film will be someone who lived through the 80's and 90's when this was all happening in real time.

It's a challenge, that's for sure.
They’ll definitely address the vitiligo. Imagine what addressing that will do for so many people with the condition? Although it’s not as taboo as it once was anyway. Despite Michael eventually talking about it to Oprah people still persisted with mocking him for it. It’s incredible that there was this weird precedence where Michael was/is fair game in which media, critics and literally anyone could pretty much be as derogatory and as nasty as they liked.

I completely agree. It would be a real shame if @zinniabooklover did not watch the movie.

You're pretty invested in the thread and enjoy seeing the cast updates and pictures etc.

I can understand your reasons for not wanting to watch, hopefully the trailer and positive reactions (I hope) to the movie will be too much to resist 😀
Perhaps my post is a bit patronising but it would be a shame to spend all this time talking about it and then NOT seeing it would rule zinniabooklover out of the conversation.

I would be somewhat surprised and disappointed if you don’t watch it.
Disappointed? Hm, interesting.

You’ve engaged here with much interest and added a lot to the thread. You are one of the most active fans on the subject which shows you are intrigued to a large extent.
Oh, I'm definitely intrigued. Mostly by what will they include / leave out? How will they stitch his complicated story into a coherent narrative? Who will play LMP and will they give her a classy wardrobe bc Lisa Marie's style was outta sight, imo. I can't get an answer to those questions unless I watch the wretched thing, lol. Which I honestly don't want to do.

The film is going to open a whole lot of different discussions and you are surely going to want to be in that loop.
Dunno.

Perhaps rather than say “Not sure if I’ll be watching the film” a better perspective is “I’m somewhat conflicted about certain elements of the film at this point in time but would like to think I’ll go and see it”
I've been conflicted about the whole thing since Day One but not sure how that can change. I don't want to start a riot, lol, but I am so not into watching someone play Michael. I would rather watch the real thing. Seeing photos of Jaafar doesn't excite me - that's an understatement but let's just leave it at that.

I understand (to an extent) fans issues with costume, hair etc, but they will be secondary to the actual performance(s). Ultimately a large part of your opinion on the film will be on the screenplay (written script)
Which is why I went looking for interviews with John Logan but, of course, he's not talking about the biopic yet. He'll do that way after it comes out.

Also, you have to understand, I have devoted hours of my life staring at photos of ... I dunno, Michael's shoulders, for example. The stitching on his gold leotard. The way the collar of his jacket is cut. I don't mind if other people think that stuff is secondary but to me it's endlessly fascinating, completely fantastic and madly important. Picking up on those details when photos come out is like breathing to me. I'm always going to notice that stuff.

and the cast, after you’ve seen it. Only then will you have a fully formed opinion,
I don't mind not having a fully formed opinion. I'll read all the reviews, I'll read what other people have to say and that way I'll find out what was included, what was left out. I won't know for myself if the product is any good or not, only what other people think of it. I'm not in love with film

and ultimately that is what you’ll want.
Possibly. I'm fairly sure I'll watch the trailer. Maybe that will blow my mind and I won't be able to stop myself going to see it. All I'm saying is, I'm not expecting to go and see it.

Disappointed? Hm, interesting.

Oh, I'm definitely intrigued. Mostly by what will they include / leave out? How will they stitch his complicated story into a coherent narrative? Who will play LMP and will they give her a classy wardrobe bc Lisa Marie's style was outta sight, imo. I can't get an answer to those questions unless I watch the wretched thing, lol. Which I honestly don't want to do.

Dunno.

I've been conflicted about the whole thing since Day One but not sure how that can change. I don't want to start a riot, lol, but I am so not into watching someone play Michael. I would rather watch the real thing. Seeing photos of Jaafar doesn't excite me - that's an understatement but let's just leave it at that.

Which is why I went looking for interviews with John Logan but, of course, he's not talking about the biopic yet. He'll do that way after it comes out.

Also, you have to understand, I have devoted hours of my life staring at photos of ... I dunno, Michael's shoulders, for example. The stitching on his gold leotard. The way the collar of his jacket is cut. I don't mind if other people think that stuff is secondary but to me it's endlessly fascinating, completely fantastic and madly important. Picking up on those details when photos come out is like breathing to me. I'm always going to notice that stuff.

I don't mind not having a fully formed opinion. I'll read all the reviews, I'll read what other people have to say and that way I'll find out what was included, what was left out. I won't know for myself if the product is any good or not, only what other people think of it. I'm not in love with film

Possibly. I'm fairly sure I'll watch the trailer. Maybe that will blow my mind and I won't be able to stop myself going to see it. All I'm saying is, I'm not expecting to go and see it.
When I say disappointed, I only mean that I’d be disappointed for you to miss out, but from what your saying I can see where you’re coming from.
When I say Michael’s costumes are secondary, I only mean in relation to the story being told within the film.

I’m all for the real costumes but on the real Michael. I adore Michael’s real costumes also. I suppose we all do to some extent. I went to Michael Bushes exhibition years ago and saw so many of Michael’s costumes. I was in absolute awe of all of them. Especially the Bad tour (my personal favourite) and Dangerous tour. Well, all of them.

I‘ve enjoyed your opinions. I wish that the Hulkamaniac kid could take a leaf out of your book and understand it for what it is, and what it isn’t.

I‘ve never been excited by other people playing Michael in the past but for some bizarre (or maybe not so bizarre) reason I really like Jaafar. I have put a lot of faith in him for this part and I really hope he lives up to the hype that’s surrounding this film and delivers a really great portrayal.

So, though I'm not nitpicking, and as I stated in another post--I do sideeye somethings, tho! Lol As I was sitting here thinking, I was like wait, they might need th wardrobe designer from MJ the Musical because the Victory Tour Press Conference Jacket worn in the Musical looks more spot on than the one in the biopic, lol. Listen, it was just an observation...I dont want no smoke! 🫠😂🤔
No smoke. You’re expressing your opinion and being respectful. Fans should absolutely be allowed to express their opinions and concerns. I’m not overly concerned about the costumes in certain instances but I do get you guys.

I would be somewhat surprised and disappointed if you don’t watch it. You’ve engaged here with much interest and added a lot to the thread. You are one of the most active fans on the subject which shows you are intrigued to a large extent.

I understand (to an extent) fans issues with costume, hair etc, but they will be secondary to the actual performance(s). Ultimately a large part of your opinion on the film will be on the screenplay (written script) and the cast, after you’ve seen it. Only then will you have a fully formed opinion, and ultimately that is what you’ll want.
we just dont want our hearts more broken than they already are facts😭 😭

Anybody else think there's a chance 'Hot Street' maybe in the film and perhaps even released as a single/included in the soundtrack? I have always found it really bizarre why it wasn't included on Thriller 40. Perhaps they were saving it.

I don't have a problem with this specific question. I think it came up already, earlier in the thread. So far we haven't got the faintest idea how they are going to tackle it, assuming they go all the way which they have implied they will.

Make-up? CGI?

I haven't seen the musical but the photos from the end of the show I find very jarring bc of the darker skin tone. I understand that it's more difficult for a theatre production to tackle this but the film will need to grapple with it. They will already have made their decision on this, it's just that we don't know what the plan is. Jaafar's skin tone in that MITM photo that was released, it was too dark.

I'm taking it for granted they will include the vitiligo in the story line bc how else can they expect the audience to understand? Younger people or the general public who don't know much about Michael do need to have this properly explained to them. Not everyone who goes to see the film will be someone who lived through the 80's and 90's when this was all happening in real time.

It's a challenge, that's for sure.
...tbf...mj was pretty dark in 89. He went bk to using dark make up... why not 86-88 I'm not sure. Wish he stuck with the 89 look. He looked the best that year for sure!

...tbf...mj was pretty dark in 89. He went bk to using dark make up... why not 86-88 I'm not sure. Wish he stuck with the 89 look. He looked the best that year for sure!
the vitiligo was going rapid so i guess mj felt he had no choice but to let it be

Back