Mexico Deposition (MJ talking about songwriting)

analogue

Proud Member
^^ Thanks for posting! I hadn't seen all of it before! :flowers:

Because the media was so caught up about crap like Oxygen Chambers this is the closest we're ever gonna get to having an interview about MJ's creative process

Because the media was so caught up about crap like Oxygen Chambers this is the closest we're ever gonna get to having an interview about MJ's creative process

i know.....:no: sad, isn't it?

MJ is proof that you don't need to play any instruments to be a songwriter.

^^ exactly....the way he talks about creating his music is just....i don't know...i can listen over and over again..it's incredible

Alot of people have this attiute that if you don't play any instruments then your nothing but that's not true. If you can hum a tune you can write a song.

Also if someone can play an instrument really well it don't mean that it will make them a good songwriter. Playing music and composing music don't always go hand in hand

Last edited:
A coworker of mine is a part-time wedding singer. He loves to sing, plays piano and has a good voice. I once told him that he must be very creative because he's so good at music. He corrected me and told me playing instruments and writing music are two different things. He said singing and playing instruments have a lot to do with mastering technical skills. One doesn't need to be creative to play instruments. Yet, writing music is an ART form that requires imaginations and creativity.

Michael is a genius who is blessed with BOTH singing and writing talents. He's a genius. Periold. Michael was a master vocalist when he was only 11 year-old. He could already write songs when he was still a child.

There are excellent songwriters like Lennon and McCartney, but they don't sing like Michael. There are excellent vocalists like Sinatra, but he's not as amazing a songwriter as Michael. Michael excels in BOTH. On top of that, he dances like no other in this world.

It upsets me when people think Michael has a group of songwriters writing songs for him and a group of producers/engineers making his songs sound good. Sometimes, I want the phrase "Composed, written and produced by Michael Jackson" to be included at the beginning of every one of his music videos on youtube to educate the public.

I love these. Can anyone go into more detail about that court case? Am I correct that he was sued for alleged plagiarism of The Girl Is Mine? (other songs too?) And who sued him? I can't believe I don't know this! :p

When I first saw this I was FLOORED, the whole part where he's listening to the tape of his younger self work out the song, and how he knows where the songs gonna go...It's the part where he's creating the horns.. on the tape young Michael doesn't SAY horns, he just starts singing... older Michael is like yeah I'm creating a horn part.. then they pay MORE of the tape and young Mike is like "that could be horns..." I was like OMG! It was just too much for me, TOO MUCH!

It's in Part 3 of those YT links that were posted.

Sometimes, I want the phrase "Composed, written and produced by Michael Jackson" to be included at the beginning of every one of his music videos on youtube to educate the public.

You couldn't do that on every single one of those videos because MJ didn't write and produce all of his own songs.

I love it. I agree it's the closest thing we have to an interview about how he creats music. Listening to him talk about that takes my breath away. The way he compares it to catching a falling leaf from a tree... A true artist.

You couldn't do that on every single one of those videos because MJ didn't write and produce all of his own songs.

Oops... I should have said in MOST of his videos not ALL of his videos. My bad... I know he didn't write all his songs. My point is that his songwriting ability is largely under-appreciated by the general public.

All of us, fans, know he wrote most of his classics and he's the driving force behind each one of his album. But, there are people out there still thinking Quincy Jones did all the writings and behind-the-scene works. There are people who don't know Michael Jackson wrote songs. See how people love to discredit him by saying "Michael Jackson is not a musician. He doesn't play instruments. He can't read or write sheet music."

Even when VH1 did the 100 greatest artist epidsode, when they mentioned Michael, they praised his singing and dancing talents. Not a single word is mentioned on his songwriting talent. IMO, this is what the media does intentionally to pull him down - by not letting people be aware the fact that Michael Jackson is an amazing songwriter.

I don't know. I cannot name another complete package like Michael, not even the Beatles (sorry Beatles fans).

Some people know so little about Michael that it bothers me when people said Michael's best song is Thriller. I love the video. It's ICONIC. But, the song itself really would not achieve its status if not because of the ground breaking short film and Michael's intrepretation.

Yeah i hate how people downplay MJ's songwriting talents and only view him as just a song and dance man. People also downplay his songwriting talent on We Are The World and call it a Quincy Jones/Lionel Ritchie project with no mention of MJ what so ever

^^ I agree....and it's very sad that the general public really don't know that he wrote most of his music....My boyfriend, who has always loved MJ, actually asked me a few months ago if Mike wrote Billie Jean and I was like :bugeyed.....I mean, that's PITIFUL! :lol: and I told him that tool...lol

Last edited:
I love these. Can anyone go into more detail about that court case? Am I correct that he was sued for alleged plagiarism of The Girl Is Mine? (other songs too?) And who sued him? I can't believe I don't know this! :p

I love these too :wub: I'm a bit ashamed because of that though, Michael really shouldn't have been tortured this way so so many times :no:

Well, anyway, he was sued by two guys he had known back in Gary, who claimed Michael stole their songs and used them in his songs The Girl Is Mine, Thriller and We Are The World (and Michael didn't even write Thriller, yet they claimed Michael had given Rod Temperton some parts that should be included in that song.. :smilerolleyes:)

The deposition is actually a lot longer, you can find and download the whole thing on 2000 Watts :) Be prepared to spend a few hours watching it.. :cheeky:

I swear, this man on the outside has the patience of an angel. To be sitting there, in pain, having to explain something to people who pretend (!!) they don't understand- the term "going postal" comes to mind.

And I totally agree that it's extremely sad that very few interviewers ever bothered asking him these questions- that we listen to his creative process in legal proceedings.

Bashir barely touched upon it- and it wasn't really included what he said about "knowing how to go there." That's sad.

Back