Meteor strike injures hundreds in central Russia

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00
A meteor crashing in Russia's Ural mountains has injured at least 500 people, as the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

"Most of those hurt suffered minor cuts and bruises but some received head injuries, Russian officials report."

"A fireball was seen streaking through the clear morning sky above the city of Yekaterinburg, followed by loud bangs."

"Officials say a large meteor partially burned up in the lower atmosphere, resulting in fragments falling earthwards."

Not the same meteor that goes past the Earth today:

"Scientists have played down suggestions that there is any link between the event in the Urals and 2012 DA14, an asteroid expected to race past the Earth on Friday at a distance of just 27,700km (17,200 miles) - the closest ever predicted for an object of that size.

Prof Alan Fitzsimmons, of the Astrophysics Research Centre at Queen's University Belfast, said there was "almost definitely" no connection.

"One reason is that 2012 DA14 is approaching Earth from the south, and this object hit in the northern hemisphere," he told BBC News.

"This is literally a cosmic coincidence, although a spectacular one.""

Here are some videos:

Last edited:
I've seen this movie before . . .

deep_impact_ver1_zps939733fa.jpg

. . . more than once . . . .

armageddon_zps12431984.jpg

Scary :S one going past tonight is supposed to be size of an olympic swimming pool, wish i had a telescope for a good view

Lol Armageddon, i havent seen that in a few years

Back