Messages and Symbolism Beyond the Obvious in ‘They Don’t Care About Us‘

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
OlodumAndTDCAU.jpg

Olodum in TDCAU and Michael's Black Power Salute!

The Rhythm of the Saints, The Movement of the Jah People, and Pelourhino.
Say what?

The African diaspora. What Bob Marley called ‘The Movement of the Jah People‘. The colors, symbols, and history of Olodum with Michael in ‘They Don’t Care About Us‘, along with the significance of the location in Brazil in which one version of it was filmed.

Michael stated that he was proud of his heritage, proud to be black. For many reasons, one of which was because his skin lightened due to vitiligo, ignorants (some of them even of his own race), doubted his commitment and felt that Michael had somehow betrayed his own people.
But, as we delve deeper into the symbolism and meaning of his songs and videos we find that not only was Michael proud to be black but that he was deeply committed to his race, to fighting the causes of social injustice, and fighting for racial and social equality for people of all races and religions.

As in the video and song ‘Black or White‘, we find messages and symbolism beyond the obvious in ‘They Don’t Care About Us‘, too. If one looks just a little deeper, we find symbolic genius in Michael’s work that he never talked about – but was always there – quietly waiting to be discovered.

Samar Habib did just that. He did a little research and discovered some quite interesting gems about Olodum and the song ‘They Don’t Care About Us‘ as filmed in Largo do Pelourinho, Salvadore, Brazil. For instance, Samar found this:
Jackson’s great dancing, his readily apparent friendliness made all the people in Pelourinho smile with pride. Especially proud were the youths of Olodum, to have had the opportunity to showcase their talent to the world through Jackson’s video. The video was in fact filmed in the “Largo do Pelourinho,” the exact spot where hundreds of years ago slaves were whipped and tortured by their masters, hence the name “Pelourinho” (the Pillory). Olodum purposefully headquarters in Pelourinho to tap into the negative energy caused by the shedding of slave blood precisely to gain strength for their fight for Black equality and power.
-Pravina Shukla, Brazzil.com – ‘The Heartbeat of Bahia
Gabriel Rich, in a column for ‘SoulInterviews.com‘ last year a few weeks following Michael’s death, wrote:
(Michael Jackson) Wrote one of the most kick-ass songs of revolt and raised his fist in a Black Power salute in his “They Don’t Care about Us” video, with everyone wearing red, black and green colors in their t-shirts. . .. Michael broke down racial stereotypes; he didn’t create them, unlike most entertainers today, and truthfully, like hip hop does nowadays.
-Gabriel Rich
And what about those colors? What do they mean?
Stewart Clegg states in a fascinating paper he wrote all about Olodum called ‘The Rhythm of the Saints‘ (click to download and read – it’s in Adobe PDF format):
Olodum’s imaginative use of symbols expresses itself most symbolically in its colours of green, red, yellow, black and white. Each colour has a symbolic significance: green represents the rain forests of Africa; the deep red is symbolic of the blood of the people, shed in so many centuries of suffering, from the slavery days; golden yellow represents the colours of gold, for prosperity; black is for the colour and the pride of the people, while white is symbolic of world peace. Together, these colours are symbolic of the African diaspora, ‘the movement of Jah people’, as Bob Marley (1977) once put it.
-Stewart Clegg
The Rhythm of the Saints
The Rhythm of the Saints was the title of a best selling record released by Paul Simon in 1990. The opening track introduced a new sound to many ears – recorded in Pelhourino Square, Salvador, Bahia, in Brazil – the sounds of Olodum. A martial, insistent, hypnotically rhythmic beat, the sound of a troupe of drums, percussive and shuffling, behind a typical Paul Simon lyric, ‘The Obvious Child‘. The name of the troupe of drummers was Grupo Olodum. Olodum and Pelhourino have become inseparable since the founding of the former in on April 25th 1979, in Pelhourino, the centre of old Salvador. Olodum means ‘The God of Gods’ or ‘The Supreme God’ in Yorubß. Although music fans may know Olodum as a band, they are, in fact, much more than that. They are a social and a cultural movement. . .
-Stewart Clegg

http://www.youtube.com/v/QNJL6nfu__Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Samar takes note of a couple of interesting things Michael does in this video:

@2.00 He sings the lines “Black man, blackmail (although this is transcribed as ‘black male’ in the official lyrics – probably for legal reasons)” while giving the Black Power salute
@2.35 He sings “The government don’t wanna see” and gives a Nazi-salute while saying the word ‘government

Sadly, the founder of Olodum, Neguinho do Samba, also left us in 2009 and has now joined Michael in spirit.

From Wikipedia:
Neguinho do Samba (? – October 31, 2009), whose real name was Antonio Luis Alves de Souza, was a Brazilian percussionist and musician. Samba was the founder of Olodum, an internationally known cultural group based in Salvador, Brazil. Samba, a resident of Pelourinho, was considered to be the “father” of samba reggae in Bahia.

Neguinho do Samba died of heart failure on October 31, 2009, at the age of 54. Samba was buried in the Jardim da Saudade cemetery in Salvador.

http://www.mj-777.com/?p=4088

and the song ‘They Don’t Care About Us‘ as filmed in Largo do Pelourinho, Salvadore, Brazil.​

I didnt know it was filmed in Salvador too?
Last october when I was traveling in Brazil, I went to the favela (shanty-town?) Dona Marta in Rio De Janeiro where they also filmed the short film. My travel-buddys friend lives in that favela so she guided us through the area and told us she had watched MJ film his short film. She was very excited and said MJ had tocuhed her hand as he passed by LOL.

When I was there.. some guys had their stereo blasted with MJs song "You are not alone". It was pretty moving to hear that particualr song as you walked around in the area.​

Ahhh! My favorite video. This video was an experience! It was so strong and powerful, geez.

Plus, I've always wanted that shirt :)

Oh yeah, and did I mention how incredibly hot he looks in this vid? Geez louise!
Thanks for posting this info about the vid!!!

Last edited:
I didnt know it was filmed in Salvador too?
Last october when I was traveling in Brazil, I went to the favela (shanty-town?) Dona Marta in Rio De Janeiro where they also filmed the short film. My travel-buddys friend lives in that favela so she guided us through the area and told us she had watched MJ film his short film. She was very excited and said MJ had tocuhed her hand as he passed by LOL.

When I was there.. some guys had their stereo blasted with MJs song "You are not alone". It was pretty moving to hear that particualr song as you walked around in the area.
Have you been to Brazil? :wild: :punk:

1996 for me is unforgettable. :wub:

Yup. Michael was brilliant. The Hitlergruß during the "government" part was well-placed, I think. I look at this whole video and I am just amazed every time. I heard the government in Brazil was saying that Michael just wanted to profit off of Brazil's poverty (paraphrazing here), when in reality he was attempting to do the opposite. He was giving the poor Brazilians a voice which their government has failed to give them (arguably, the same can be said of the poor worldwide, which is what really makes the song powerful stuff). Expanding on that, it can be said that his use of the Hitlergruß was symbolism not only for racial oppression but for government oppression altogether, since anyone who has ever read anything about Third Reich history can see that "Aryan" Germans were also oppressed by their fascist government.

Going back to Brazil's actual government, though...if they're so embarrassed by the world seeing poverty in their country for what it is, why don't they do something about it? The thing about third-world countries is that a very small group of people are incredibly rich while the masses suffer from extreme poverty, even if the country is rich in valuable natural resources or has an agricultural (or other) monopoly.

Michael really was the voice of the people, all over the world. He has done more for people than any celebrity in modern times and all for little or no publicity whatsoever. That is where the magic of Michael Jackson is: in knowing that everything he did for others was out of the goodness within himself, and not for publicity or recognition.

i notice that eyes can be deceiving. Michael, in that video, revealing his chest, you can see his ribcage..so..he was always that skinny..but somehow, it worked for him..and looked good on him...but..for those who think he fluctuated between that and how he looked in This Is It, i think their eyes were deceived. some just couldn't get used to MJ's remarkable, but very unique bodytype. but then, it was conducive to his special dancing.. so..i don't think he was lacking in health in This Is It. i realize this is off topic, but i couldn't help but notice. but i guess, the fascination with Michael breeds mythological proportions..and thinking..

I saw this and I'm following her blog. It's very good. Yeah, you know after so many times of watching this video I never noticed the Nazi salute, so that was interesting. I bet MJ has a lot of subtle symbolism like that in his videos and songs that people don't know about.

I saw this and I'm following her blog. It's very good. Yeah, you know after so many times of watching this video I never noticed the Nazi salute, so that was interesting. I bet MJ has a lot of subtle symbolism like that in his videos and songs that people don't know about.

maybe..maybe not..cus, unlike most artists, MJ didn't strike me as the kind of guy that contrived politics, as much as he went with inspiration.

maybe..maybe not..cus, unlike most artists, MJ didn't strike me as the kind of guy that contrived politics, as much as he went with inspiration.

There is a difference between getting involved in politics and/or taking a political stance and getting involved in social/humanitarian issues and speaking for the oppressed as a whole. I think Michael was a very brilliant and well-read man, despite, or in my personal opinion, because of, his lack of a complete formal education. Thus, he was not exposed to the utter rubbish that is the American educational system (I am not attacking teachers, but the bigwigs taking up the driver's seat in the whole affair). Really, the history books are nothing but politically biased hogwash of little to no value to anyone who has actually bothered to research any area in-depth. This was evident when the Texas school board tried to dispose of Thomas Jefferson because he was an atheist. Changing history to fit a political and/or religious agenda? Nooooo. Not in America, for sure...

In any case, Michael was probably well-informed enough to realize the meaning of the gestures he was making. His military-theme (in This is It), prison theme (in the still banned video) and the impoverished neighbourhood theme (in this previously banned piece) all really do seem to scream "They Don't Care About Us!" The hitlergruss is more a universal symbol of fascist opression than any other signal made by previous fascist regimes, so it is only proper to do it as he said "government". The sorts of gestures he made are too specific and fitting to be accounted for by mere coincidence, I think.

As a songwriter and poet, Michael would know the importance of symbolism. Even as members of regular society, symbolism is everywhere around us. It is one of the most successful methods of non-verbal communication (i.e. red and green for stop and go), so why wouldn't Michael use it?

Going off-topic for a bit now, I always thought it was really strange that this video was banned in the first place (and remained banned in non-Internet media) for as long as it did. Nowadays, we have barely clothed tartlets strutting their barely legal (or in some cases even underage) stuff on our TV screen and rappers saying every kind of curse word in existence, glorifying gang lifestyles and even saying the "n" word without anyone so much as batting an eyelash over any of this.

If the problem was with a particular phrase in the chorus lyrics, why didn't they just censor it out like they do just about any MTV/VH1/BET live performance ? Nowadays, they have to censor pretty much about every word in some songs and yet they still let them air on the above mentioned music channels. I always thought it was something against Michael.
I have no concrete evidence in this particular case, but I just have that feeling.

The visuals in the video are in no way inappropriate (even in the prison version which is still banned from television as far as I know). It's the same with the Black or White extended version with Michael turning into a black panther. Some networks didn't show that last year when they were playing his videos in the 24 hr. marathon blocks. Why? It was 2009. They claimed back in '91 that the video was "violent" and "sexual" when, in reality, it is neither. Yet they have no qualms about showing Miley Cyrus pretty much straddling a pole during a performance, or Lady Gaga poisoning her boyfriend in Paparazzi. I could go on and on, but I think you all get the point.

I just wonder...why ban them when they're not even inappropriate. Is it because of the message of being aware of social injustice and embracing each other regardless of the colour of our skin? I reckon that's all terrible compared to Lady Gaga's homoerotic/highly sexual "Alejandro" video, etc.

Sorry to rant and be a bit OT at times, but I just hate the double-standard there is against Michael. At least that's the way I see it.

Back