Media back to their old tricks. It's Jackson not Jack*- Update USATODAY removes JACK* from headline

United4MJLegacy

Proud Member
The Media is back to their old tricks. @USAToday reporter Elysa Gardner wrote a piece this afternoon titled: "Lawyers for Jacko doctor protest". The title is both racist and demeaning. We ask fans NOT To visit their website, not to retweet the link and certainly NOT to recommend the article on Facebook.

We kindly ask that fans do their part by writing to the USA Today Standard Editor, named Brent Jones at this email: accuracy@usatoday.com

Here is a screen cap of the racist headline. So you won't have to click and give their more hits

Yan also tweet @usatoday to let them know you will not support this blatant disrespect. PLEASE DO NOT TWEET OR RECOMMEND THIS VILE STORY.

Here is the full screen cap of the USA TODAY article, http://twitpic.com/6frsvo

so YOU DON'T have to visit their website to read it.

Contact Standard Editor Brent Jones at this email address >>>> accuracy@usatoday.com

or @usatoday on twitter

Re: Media is back to their old tricks. It's Jackson not Jack* email USAToday: accuracy@usatoday.com

I understand how the title is demeaning. However, I don't understand the racist connotation part. When the title says "And so does Billy Joe", they are talking about the frontman for Green Day complaining in an entirely different story.

I guess I just want to be sure to be accurate when addressing them so that my claims are not readily dismissed.

Re: Media is back to their old tricks. It's Jackson not Jack* email USAToday: accuracy@usatoday.com

Sadly the media never ceased to call him by that derogatory name. Some of them even used it, when announcing his death on their front page. Insensitive and shameful.

I will drop USA Today a mail.

I will e-mail once I log off from the forum. I have problems e-mailing through Outlook Express. It seems we will never cease having to work on respect and justice for Michael. If I am tired now, can you imagine how tired and sick in spirit he felt at times!!!!

Maybe not racist but defintely discriminatory and degrading. Michael very publicly expressed his dismay of the use of this misnomer. The media only use it in when referring to him in a derogatory and demeaning way. It was disrespectful then and definitely now that he is no longer here to defend against it. The media should not be allowed to continue to get away with their tackless ways in regards to Mr. Michael Jackson. Even Bin Ladin in all his evilness is called by his rightful name, for pete sake! Why should offering this level of respect be so hard for them to do for Michael, a man who's a trillion times more deserving for all of the positiveness he contributed to the world. Sickening. I am fed up with the media and their tactless ways. The will hear from me :mat:

Here is my message to them...
Dear Mr. Brent Jones,
I am writing in response to the recent article by your reporter Elysa Gardner, titled, "Lawyers for Jacko doctor protest...". As a fan, an intelligent consumer and in the name of humanity, I request and would appreciate that your writers refrain from referring to Mr. Michael Jackson as "Jacko." While he was among us, Michael very publicly expressed his dismay of the use of this misnomer. And who could blame him? The media only uses it when referencing him in a derogatory, degrading and invidious way. It was both disrespectful and tactless then and definitely now, that he is no longer here to defend against it.

Even Bin Ladin is called by his rightful name, for pete sake. Why should offering this level of respect be so hard when it comes to Michael Jackson, a man who left behind a legacy of wondrous art and charitable giving, and who to this day, receives love in abundance from the world?

Sincerely,

Cathy Williams
Germantown, MD
USA

Last edited:
ginvid;3474662 said:
I understand how the title is demeaning. However, I don't understand the racist connotation part. When the title says "And so does Billy Joe", they are talking about the frontman for Green Day complaining in an entirely different story.

I guess I just want to be sure to be accurate when addressing them so that my claims are not readily dismissed.

Excerpt from a great piece from 2 years ago, which explains the racist connotation:

http://www.mj4justice.com/michael--news.html

Why are many still using derogative terms such as “ JACKO” It is a demeaning, sensationalist term.... that it is not worthy of Michael Jackson and all his ground breaking achievements.

The term “Wacko Jacko” continues to dehumanize Michael Jackson and destroys his legacy.... I maintain it is veiled racism....but, racism just the same.

One has to wonder if the continued efforts to dehumanize Michael is an assault to
devalue Michael Jackson and therefore, devalue his historic legacy and to prevent him from surpassing The Beatles, Sinatra and Elvis.

One should also ask.....If this assault is allowed to continue is the media cheating his children out of the true legacy of their father and put in jeopardy the financial security of Prince, Paris and Blanket Jackson?

I complained to CBS for doing something similar yesterday.

will sure write in. but they will never let him be. sadly

There is no racist connoation to the name jacko and its origins Accusing ppl of that doest help in stopping them from using the name.ppl need to educate themselves on the history of this name and where it comes from ie europe/aus otherwise u dont have a solid argument against those that use it.

Last edited:

The Jackson$ are upset with these medias who call Mike " Wacko Jacko " ? Did they say something today on their twitter ?

No of course, there are no money there....

There is no racist connoation to the name jacko and its origins Accusing ppl of that doest help in stopping them from using the name.ppl need to educate themselves on the history of this name and where it comes from ie europe/aus otherwise u dont have a solid argument against those that use it.

I agree it's veiled racism...to dehumanize him.

When was the last time you read a USA Today or CBS piece referring to Elvis Presley by anything other than his given name? or the King of Rock N Roll?

Why do you assume they keep doing it to Michael Jackson 2 years after his death?

Racism is alive and well, you might not view as such but many do. I do.

I am not one to throw the racism card around loosely...but it's a blatant attempt by the media to belittle Michael Jackson's achievement.

The origin of the name (and the name itself) is not racist, that I agree...but its continuous use in respectable papers like USA Today is definitely is.

Last edited:

some may see it as that because they have no knowledge of the history of the name and its use in other countries. u may think its been used in a racist fashion in the usa (maybe it is) but thats certaily isnt how its used in in other countries where the name comes from and where it was created.

^ As the title of the thread indicates, this is in reference to USA Today.... a legitimate newspaper in the USA.

We are not talking about tabloids.

Again, I stand by my belief, legitimate press never use demeaning name in reference to Elvis Presley or others...WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING IT TO MICHAEL JACKSON?

If you find a logical answer, other than racism, please share it with us.

Michael himself thought it was racism... and so do I.

I can give u a logical answer interms of the name jacko and its origin.

The origin of the nickname comes from the uk and prob austrailia where such nicknames are even more common than in the uk. Any male with a name such as jackson gibson a name begining with mac etc has the name shortened as a term of endearment to jacko gibbo macca or lets say deano for dean.do such nicknames not excist in the usa?

Hence why mj has that name given to him.for eg theres a football manager of a local professional team in my area.hes a jackson.and if theres a headline in the paper after the game it will say jacko..... Its a nickname used for any male with that
surname.its not something that is just used or created for mj.

The insulting version is when w.a.c.k.o is attached to it.

Presuming the usa picked up the name j.a.c.k.o from the uk press as u guys dont seem to use such nicknames then it has the same conotation which certainly isnt racist.if the usa press in using that name think they are insulting mj.then interms of the meaning of the name they arent.obviously thats very diff to it been insulting to mj on a personal level

elusive moonwalker;3474936 said:

The origin of the nickname comes from the uk and prob austrailia where such nicknames are even more common than in the uk. Any male with a name such as jackson gibson a name begining with mac etc has the name shortened as a term of endearment to jacko gibbo macca or lets say deano for dean.do such nicknames not excist in the usa?

Hence why mj has that name given to him.for eg theres a football manager of a local professional team in my area.hes a jackson.and if theres a headline in the paper after the game it will say jacko..... Its a nickname used for any male with that
surname.its not something that is just used or created for mj.

The insulting version is when w.a.c.k.o is attached to it.

Presuming the usa picked up the name j.a.c.k.o from the uk press as u guys dont seem to use such nicknames then it has the same conotation which certainly isnt racist.if the usa press in using that name think they are insulting mj.then interms of the meaning of the name they arent.obviously thats very diff to it been insulting to mj on a personal level

I agree with all of the above, from the UK perspective.

I am replying as someone who has indeed complained to 'serious' British media for the use of the 'J word' as it does now seem derogatory in the sense of demeaning and belittling the man and his achievements. However I do think this 'nickname' ( as it was originally used in the UK ) was initially used in a rather affectionate manner ( in the sense that one tends to give nicknames to people you like...there already being plenty of names you can call people that you don't like!) Even the w**** word I think initially only conveyed a sense of benign eccentricity ('wackiness') which is even today not at all derogatory if applied to oneself ... Plenty of British people claim personal wackiness in a jokey way ('I'm mad I am')...as a sign of extreme personal individuality. ( and very many well loved British literary characters eg Sherlock Holmes, Just William, very many Charles Dickens characters eg Mr Pickwick etc, are liked and appreciated for their eccentricities).

However, I do agree that J**** became a very wide identifier by its universal recognition factor, and adopted a 'more negative' ( but not racial, in the UK at least) significance as time went on and accusations/ court cases came and went, partly by its universal use in newspaper headlines that went with the court case. ( It is after all a shorter word and has more visual 'punch' as a headline).

I have visited but never lived in the USA, and I think it is very difficult to discern the subtleties of 'racial' connotations of the use of language in other countries ( Britain and the USA are often referred to as two countries divided by the use of a common language).

It is very sad if the use of J*** is felt to be racially demeaning in the USA, and I am sorry that Michael understood it to be used that way in the UK...but I do agree with Elusive, that I think that was not and has never been the intention in the UK at all.
(Oh, and - particularly in their heyday- Elvis was called 'The Pelvis', Paul McCartney is 'Macca', Rod Stewart was 'Rod the Mod', Mick Jagger was 'Mick the Lip' etc etc.)

eg from the Business Times online
Macca's divorce lawyer lined up for encore with Madonna - Times ...
business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article4215015.ece
26 Jun 2008 – She did it for Macca — now she can do it for Madonna.

Last edited:

Yeah i agree interms of the word j a.c.ko been seen as negative depending on its use in a headline but of course that depends on the actual story and as 99% of front page stories are negative u start to associate that name as a negative thing when in its pure form the name its self doesnt have a negative meaning unlike sneddon calling chris tucker a boy on the stand for example

I guesd its a cultural thing at the end of the day as this topic has been discussed many a time

Yeah, I agree with that the origin and the actual name itself is not racist..When someone use it though, does it mean that person is racist? It may for some and may not be for others, it depends on the individual. Obviously the name is used by those who really dislike Michael and there is always that possibility a reason for using that term stems from actual racist ideals. It's always hard to assess how much actual racism exists in the world, but it does exist sadly, especially in much more subtle ways.

Edit - Thanks for that Info Loveliness

Last edited:

Well if a hater/racist uses that term to try and show their fellings then i guess we get the last laugh as its actually a term of endearment in its original form and in the coutries where the name is used and createdanyway at the end of the day theres far much bigger fish to fry.

Heavy topic, but I'll dive in.

One of the problems with the term Jack-o and it applying to Michael (a black man) is that it was used as a name for an alleged "ape man" dating back from the 1800's. There's deep seated racism with comparing blacks to apes, monkeys, etc., and being made out as subhuman. I understand the term originates from the UK, but given the history, I also understand how some can feel the term is racist.

As Michael himself stated:
You should not say, "He's an animal...he's a..." You should not say, "He's Jacko." I'm not a 'Jacko'. I'm Jackson.

Regardless, from strictly a journalistic standpoint, it's inappropriate for news organizations to be using the term (especially when discussing serious matters such as the trial). Like LiberianGhost pointed out even terrorists have their full name used.

Thanks for the heads-up United4MJLegacy, I'll contact them (and keep it tactful).

Thats intresting. Can u give us some more details on that programe.re the apeman.where it comes from as its a strange name to pick

Myosotis & Elusive, legitimate press here in America do not nickname celebrities. And regardless, whether of its history, the day Michael Jackson himself complained about the nickname should have been the end of it.

Read this week's New York Times...they refer to Michael as Mr. Jackson.

Some in the US media are using the name to belittle Michael Jackson. They don't care how the name started...

Last edited:

Thats intresting. Can u give us some more details on that programe.re the apeman.where it comes from as its a strange name to pick

It's not just that one program. The name Jacko for a hybrid human-ape goes back a long time. It seems it first appeared in 1884, and the story has lasted throughout the years. There's been study's done about the story in 50's, 60's, and 70's. Here's some more links to read about it:

Yale & the Strange Story of Jacko the Ape-boy: http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/yaljac.htm

The Story of Jacko 1884: http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/jacko.htm

The Story of Jacko: http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/story-jacko/

It's not just that one program. The name Jacko for a hybrid human-ape goes back a long time. It seems it first appeared in 1884, and the story has lasted throughout the years. There's been study's done about the story in 50's, 60's, and 70's. Here's some more links to read about it:

Yale & the Strange Story of Jacko the Ape-boy: http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/yaljac.htm

Thank you for posting....So the story goes from an old tradition of calling circus monkeys 'Jocko', to a hoax sasquatch called Jack-o. I am sure the UK press would not make any links to this at all, but I can see why the N American press might...as the Sasquatch story is part of N American 'cultural history' , so that does explain a lot. (ie about why this nickname was so reviled). I'm frankly quite shocked that this is a link that anyone might make.
Websters' defines Jocko as
noun
a chimpanzee or a monkey
Origin: French, earlier engeco < ncheko, the native name in W Africa
http://www.yourdictionary.com/jocko

Last edited:
It's not just that one program. The name Jacko for a hybrid human-ape goes back a long time. It seems it first appeared in 1884, and the story has lasted throughout the years. There's been study's done about the story in 50's, 60's, and 70's. Here's some more links to read about it: Yale & the Strange Story of Jacko the Ape-boy: http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/yaljac.htm The Story of Jacko 1884: http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/jacko.htmThe Story of Jacko: http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/story-jacko/
thanks alot for this.totally understand why some in the usa think this way then.

(Oh, and - particularly in their heyday- Elvis was called 'The Pelvis',

true, and at his 40th birthday a headline read "fat and forty". back in the day Elvis was called all kinds of things. and even today i see them write cruel untrue things about him that only a fan like me can pick up. BUT even so Elvis still get that respect that MJ has never gotten yet have EARNED. and i say this as a longtime fan who has been angry by how Presley has been treated ever since he started. i love him to death but i doubt they'd write "Dr Nick being on trial for Elvis the pelvis' death".

and just because the word "Pelvis" or "n***r lover" was once use for Elvis doesn't mean the nam Jacko should be accepted.

true, and at his 40th birthday a headline read "fat and forty". back in the day Elvis was called all kinds of things. and even today i see them write cruel untrue things about him that only a fan like me can pick up. BUT even so Elvis still get that respect that MJ has never gotten yet have EARNED. and i say this as a longtime fan who has been angry by how Presley has been treated ever since he started. i love him to death but i doubt they'd write "Dr Nick being on trial for Elvis the pelvis' death".

and just because the word "Pelvis" or "n***r lover" was once use for Elvis doesn't mean the nam Jacko should be accepted.

I agree...I just meant that I don't think the press 'picked on ' Michael more than they 'picked on' other people, as regards mis-naming. (as to being 'Picked on' in a general sense regarding everything else, well that's another story).

As I said, I do write to the UK press...so I am 'on side' with this. I just hadn't realised that what was 'said' meaning one thing in the UK, might be 'heard' meaning something completey different elsewhere...and I don't think I'm alone in not understanding how this is understood elswhere, or the British 'non tabloid' press would not still be using the J word either. There is a chasm of mis- understanding beween editors thinking 'oh, the fans don't like his surname being shortened' to 'oh the public might understand this as a racial slur'. The former sounds fairly trivial, in a newspaper setting, the latter is illegal.

I just sent them a tweet

Heavy topic, but I'll dive in.

One of the problems with the term Jack-o and it applying to Michael (a black man) is that it was used as a name for an alleged "ape man" dating back from the 1800's. There's deep seated racism with comparing blacks to apes, monkeys, etc., and being made out as subhuman. I understand the term originates from the UK, but given the history, I also understand how some can feel the term is racist.

As Michael himself stated:

Regardless, from strictly a journalistic standpoint, it's inappropriate for news organizations to be using the term (especially when discussing serious matters such as the trial). Like LiberianGhost pointed out even terrorists have their full name used.

Thanks for the heads-up United4MJLegacy, I'll contact them (and keep it tactful).

Thanks so much for this information.
Now I can see the racism in that name.

As a Brit I disagree. Jacko is not an affectionate nick name, it is short for Whacko Jacko and always has been.

It has never been an affectionate nick name, never.

If this is an old story, how come nobody ever said anything about it? Michael's been called J*cko for more that 20 (!) years, and as far as I know there were no massive fan campaigns against it in the past. To my knowledge (from old media and interviews), back in the 80s even fans and fan magazines used this nickname and didn't think of it as offensive. There are quite a few mags from the 80s that are devoted solely to Michael and praise him as hot and talented, and yet they use the nickname. Why only now, when mentions of "J*cko" in the media are few and far between compared to how it was 3 years ago, are fans bringing up rasist parallels? I'm not saying they are not legit, I'm just wondering how this could have gone unnoticed in America which is known for its political correctness and relentless fight against all public manifestations of rasism.

Last edited:
Back