May 8 - 10 News & Mentionings

mariemarie

Guests
All about the suing...​

But in other mentionings, lets take a look at what articles Michael Jackson's name pops up in to today!​

Covers!

The-Dream is balancing recording sessions with preparations in Los Angeles for his tour with Keyshia Cole, which starts Wednesday in Cincinnati. He'll be filming a DVD at some point during the tour, which wraps June 21 in Oakland, Calif. The artist says fans can expect songs from his two albums but plans to offer only "hints" of the hits he's written for Rihanna, Usher, Carey, Blige, Jamie Foxx and others.

"I don't have enough time," he explains, though there will be a cover of Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana." "I've been trying to sing that song forever," The-Dream notes.

Flight of the Conchords riding a boom

The men of Flight of the Conchords are considered gods among the indie set.

In the past few years, Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement have skyrocketed from their home of New Zealand to pop-culture icons in America. The indie comedy duo is so beloved that when Clement got married last year, hearts broke everywhere.

They were the main draw last year at Sasquatch!, one of the largest music festivals in the Northwest. Before Flight of the Conchords even hit the stage, audience members were singing their songs. And to the joy of these fans, besides singing their hits, McKenzie and Clement jiggled their butts and bantered with the crowd.

Flight of the Conchords are all about quirky parody, and have riffed on such heavyweights as Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson and David Bowie. In their brand of humor — deadpan delivery and extremely outrageous lyrics — no genre is off-limits. They've taken on lounge, reggae, rap, metal, opera and Bollywood music. And did I mention that when they rap, they do it with alter egos such as Rhymenoceros and Hiphopopotamus?
McKenzie and Clement joined forces at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand, living in the same flat and producing music together. They moved on to producing an improvisational comedy program on popular radio station BBC Radio 2, and started rising as cult heroes. Their shows became hits on YouTube. Then, Sub Pop signed them and HBO gave them a series.

The show "Flight of the Conchords" plays on the pair's magnetic awkwardness, following them through a close-to-life scenario of McKenzie and Clement (playing themselves, or at least a version of themselves) trying to hit it big as a band in New York. There, they bumble through both the dating and rock scene.

In an interview with CNN, McKenzie said the series is about 17 to 18 percent improvised and based on things that happened in their lives. He jokingly added that the series came from a brainstorm off what would happen if Ernie and Bert of "Sesame Street" started a band.

James Bobin, who directed "Da Ali G Show," directs "FOTC"; filling out the cast are Rhys Darby (as the band's inept manager, Murray) and comedian Kristen Schaal (as their obsessed fan Mel). These TV characters have gotten so popular that fans typically demand their appearance at Flight of the Conchords band shows, but tour life and TV life are separate. "Mel" even has her own blog, documenting her stalking of the two guys. The show just wrapped up its second season on HBO.

Flight of the Conchords have released three albums — "Folk the World Tour" in 2002, "The Distant Future" EP in 2007 and "Flight of the Conchords" in 2008, with the latter two on Sub Pop. They've brought in nominations and awards, too: "The Distant Future" won a comedy Grammy, and the HBO show has landed two Emmy nods.
But the best part of all the fame, the two told CNN, is the free shoes and free desserts.

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1971 - The Jackson 5 single "Never Can Say Goodbye" hit #2 in the U.S.

1971 - The Jackson 5 album "Maybe Tomorrow" hit #11 in the U.S.

1990 - To celebrate its 50th anniversary the BMI presented the first Michael Jackson award. Michael Jackson received the first award.

1996 - Michael Jackson performed "Earth Song" at eighth annual World Music Awards. He received trophies for the World's Best-Selling Male Pop Artist, R&B Artist, American Male Recording Artist, Overall Best-Selling Male Recording Artist, and the World's Best-Selling Album Of All-Time (Thriller). ABC-TV aired the show on June 3.

jacksonfive-maybetomorrow28197129-frontblog.jpg

Love to read today in MJ History.. thank you :)
HBD 82Thriller84 :D

not a lot of interesting news so far.

It's my birthday today!! (just thought I would mention it)

Happy birthday 82thiller84!

I hope all your birthday wishes & dreams come true
and that u will have a good day :D

It is also the 26th anniversary of Wanna' Be Startin' Somethin' Today!

Some More mentionings:

RetroRide: What's old could be new again

Staten Island Advance - SILive.com -

I'd also love to see Epcot favorites Horizons, World of Motion, Wonders of Life, Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks and the Michael Jackson 3-D film "Captain EO" ...

High-flying '80s divas just wanna have fun

Vancouver Courier - ... juggling and plenty of "gnarly" nostalgia for the '80s and '90s, including affectionate nods to Rubik's Cube, neon clothing and Michael Jackson. ...

Read all 'Future tech' posts in Crave

CNET News -
If you watch the video below, it rather resembles an orange peel doing a baby moonwalk a la Michael Jackson across the screen. ...

Another Rehearsal video - from the past.... Make sure you turn up the volume at the end - when it's dark - he sings a couple lines from an unreleased song - "Something I wrote, that I haven't recorded" - his words...

:clapping: Everyone have a great weekend! :punk:​

Thanks for posting that rehearsal video MissSnoop.

I freaking love that man! Listening to him speaking and taking direction at the end was a bonus.

is that the dangerous rehearsals from neverland?. dont u hate hearing live vocals in rehearsals but not during the actual show lol *runs* watching the beat it rehearsal u think after all these years mj would remember the words lol

is that the dangerous rehearsals from neverland?. dont u hate hearing live vocals in rehearsals but not during the actual show lol *runs* watching the beat it rehearsal u think after all these years mj would remember the words lol

He always forgets the words. :lol:

http://mjjr.net/

American Idol's Top 3 Perform MJ Hits at Homecoming Concerts

Today, each of the three finalists from American Idol went to their own hometown to put on a public mini-concert and to participate in other honorary events. At each concert, one Michael Jackson hit was performed. Danny Gokey, who performed PYT (Pretty Young Thing) during Michael Jackson week on American Idol, instead opted to do a Billie Jean duet at his homecoming concert. Kris Allen performed an accoustic version of Man in the Mirror, and Adam Lambert performed Black or White. Videos are below:

Last edited:
http://mjjr.net/

American Idol's Top 3 Perform MJ Hits at Homecoming Concerts

Today, each of the three finalists from American Idol went to their own hometown to put on a public mini-concert and to participate in other honorary events. At each concert, one Michael Jackson hit was performed. Danny Gokey, who performed PYT (Pretty Young Thing) during Michael Jackson week on American Idol, instead opted to do a Billie Jean duet at his homecoming concert. Kris Allen performed an accoustic version of Man in the Mirror, and Adam Lambert performed Black or White. Videos are below:

thanks so much for posting this. i really want Kris Allen to win, but i will be ok with Adem winning too:punk:

Thanks for posting the rehearsal footage! I love watching those videoes. :D

Back