May 6, 2008: Michael Jackson News and Mentionings

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Hello everyone!!! Hope your day is going well so far :yes:

I want to remind everyone the MJ Cover Contest is in it's last days - if you haven't submitted you may wanna have a look and joy in on the fun :cheeky:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49235

It's really early (almost 2am :tease: ) so the news hasn't had much of a chance to happen yet but I wanted to get this up and going (gotta go to the store and buy a replacement fish as soon as I get the kids on the school bus today!:eek: )

Here's some mentionings I did manage to find though:

What piques our interst in a crime?

...Journalists who'd covered both cases said the scene outside Framingham District Court the day of Entwistle's arraignment matched the frenzy of pop star Michael Jackson's trial. The fact that journalists who covered Jackson would turn up in Framingham tells you something right there...
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x1478012119/Spitz-What-piques-our-interest-in-a-crime

:mello:...We hate to quote Michael Jackson, but he hit it on the head all those years ago when he sang, "We're going back to Indiana. Indiana here we come." Indiana Jones, that is...
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/930352,SHO-Sunday-movies04.article

(that would have been really cute without the we hate to quote blahblahblah)

Zach Braff Music Video Contest

...The first thing that popped into my mind was the end of Michael Jackson's "Black or White" video and Braff himself acknowledged a similar concept was done in a recent Nickelback video, but he says that's not at all what he envisions...
http://buzzsugar.com/1604918

Today in
Michael Jackson History​

1986 - Michael Jackson's second contract with Pepsi was finalized. The contract included two commercials and sponsorship of a solo world tour.

1997 - Michael Jackson was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame as part of the Jackson 5.

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson Quote​
[/SIZE]

People always told me be careful of what you do
And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
And mother always told me be careful of who you love
And be careful of what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth
- Michael Jackson, Billie Jean

Will add some real news as soon as it happens :yes:

Last edited:
Ok, just a little updated lol (the store did not have another darn fish that looked like his! :blink: )

REVIEW: THRILLER LIVE, ROYAL CONCERT HALL

THE spirit of Michael Jackson comes to life in this stage spectacular which incorporates music spanning the five decades of *****'s career.

Multi-media video clips and an MC contributed to the smooth running of the show.

Starting from the early years, the first half of the performance rolled out all the classic Jackson Five tracks. The young Michael performed by Dominic Smith kicked off with I Want You Back and ABC. The boy had bags of charisma and oodles of stage presence to pull it off.

The audience was soon brought to its feet to Dance, Shout and to shake its hips along to Shake Your Body and Blame it on the Boogie.

The cast brought out flags for Can You Feel It?, which marked the end of the Jackson Five set.

The second half of the show exploded with a smokey stage to introduce Beat It and the dancers were on top form for this energetic track.

The audience was treated to some of MJ's ballads with the exceptional voice of Zoe Birkett singing I Just Can't Stop Loving You. The whole cast joined in harmony for the moving Earth Song.

The performance then stepped it up another notch as Ricko Baird took over for Smooth Criminal and show-stopper Dangerous.

The show ended with favourites Billie Jean, Bad and Black and White, all backed by the audience's feet thumping and hand clapping.

Thriller was a fitting conclusion with the cast recreating the zombie video.

All in all this performance definitely succeeded in bringing back memories of a timeless performer who we are unlikely to see on stage any time soon.

SARAH GILL
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/d...entPK=20555730&folderPk=103546&pNodeId=244911

Mentioning:

Adjusting to Mars' centre stage ambitions...
Although Tinseltown has forged such golden couples as Fred and Ginger and Michael Jackson and bubbles the chimp, it has also had its heartbreak...
http://www.foodanddrinkeurope.com/news/ng.asp?n=85080-mars-cadbury-merger

Another mentioning...

Jeffrey Daniel (Shalamar) Live in Concert
...Credited as the man that taught Michael Jackson the Moonwalk he will also be showing off those street dance moves that have hypnotised UK audiences and inspired artistes such as Usher, Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown...
http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/London/The-Bloomsbury-Theatre/Jeffrey-Daniel-(Shalamar)-Live-in-Concert/11230698/http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Lon...y-Daniel-(Shalamar)-Live-in-Concert/11230698/

Another one taking credit for MJ's dance move, only MJ has never said that this man showed him the moonwalk.

Jeff and about two or three other guys "claim" to have taught that step to Michael. And man, it's just ONE step, big deal. They act like teaching Michael one step is equivalent to teaching him how to dance. Pff. Michael blows all these guys out of the water anyway.

I always think that it's quite possible that more than one person "taught" MJ the moonwalk in the sense that they showed him how they did it and then he took the best from each to make the move his own. That just seems like how he would do it. Study the best and then perfect their moves further.

I always think that it's quite possible that more than one person "taught" MJ the moonwalk in the sense that they showed him how they did it and then he took the best from each to make the move his own. That just seems like how he would do it. Study the best and then perfect their moves further.
The dance started in the streets and MJ has said many times that he learned the dance from the street kids. I believe that MJ would have given this guy credit if he had taught him. The guy who was taken credit for the dance did not cdreate the dance, he picked it up in the streets too, so he has no claim on the dance either. MJ has never credited him so thsoe articles shouldn't be crediting him either.

If you notice the video Smooth Criminal, at the end the little girl said she could dance like MJ cause she taught him how to dance. I think MJ was trying to rebutt all those people who are going on tv talking about teaching him how to dance. There ain't nothing to the moonwalk to teach MJ. All that MJ does is doi it smoothly, which comes with practice.

Last edited:
Talking with Grammy Winner Steve Pageot

Gold and Platinum plaques, a Grammy award and negotiations to work on Michael Jackson’s next studio album - these are credentials anybody would be more than proud of. But this is just the tip of the iceberg for producer/engineer/musician/composer, Steve Pageot. He’s definitely making major moves and is a mogul in the making.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/makingthemogul/stevepageot_suit.jpg

Work aside, what artists are you currently listening to for your own pleasure?

Right now, Michael Jackson. I love listening to Michael, you know. Actually, I just signed a management deal with Michael Jackson’s managers, Frank DiLeo and Terry Harvey. So they’re managing me now, and we’re in talks to bring me into the studio for Michael Jackson’s next studio album. I’ve been listening to a lot of James Brown lately and Stevie Wonder. I’m going back into the old school. There’s always something you can learn from it. You gotta know what happened in the past to go into the future.

http://current.com/items/88920879_talking_with_grammy_winner_steve_pageot

Last edited:
why are ppl so touchy about who taught mj the moonwalk. who cares. fact is mj didnt create it its been around for years and he saw others do it and asked them to teach him it ala casper jeff etc. those ppl have never claimed to created it but they were performing it on mainstream shows back in the 70s and bought it to ppls attention more.

Well it's just funny how many people claim to have taught it to him, as though it's the key to Michael as a dancer all around. It's one step and one of Michael's more simple steps at that, so I don't get why everyone is so eager to claim responsibility for it. Michael's been dancing longer then most of these people have been alive, lol.

why are ppl so touchy about who taught mj the moonwalk. who cares. fact is mj didnt create it its been around for years and he saw others do it and asked them to teach him it ala casper jeff etc. those ppl have never claimed to created it but they were performing it on mainstream shows back in the 70s and bought it to ppls attention more.
Nobody needs to teach anyone to moonwalk. That is a fantasy that people have been running with. You don't teach people to moonwalk. All it is is sliding your foot backwards. Nothing to teach there. MJ's fluidity came with practice, not teaching. Anubody who clims to teach MJ to moonwalk is living in the clouds. The dance was on the streets. I heard someone tell a sttory about how the young kids used to dance off with each other and they would moonwalk out of the center and challenge their opponant to follow that. That was what the moonwalk was for. It was a challenge to the opponent. I understoold that when MJ did that moonwalk on Motown 25, the audience was in uproar because they actually understood the challenge. Not because MJ did the moonwalk but because they understood the message in the dance. In otherwords, MJ was sending the same messeage that the kids on the street was sending when they had a dance off.
It was not a new dance, it was a street dance that every kid was doing at the time. So MJ is telling the truth when he says that he learned it from the street.

Last edited:
Maybe Jeff was one of the kids in the street??? Does it matter? It's just an article that someone wrote - no big deal. Being able to moonwalk is great - lord knows I can't do it right - being able to do it like Michael and incorporate it into the dance is something else totally :yes:

Maybe Jeff was one of the kids in the street??? Does it matter? It's just an article that someone wrote - no big deal. Being able to moonwalk is great - lord knows I can't do it right - being able to do it like Michael and incorporate it into the dance is something else totally :yes:
It doesn't matter. except that we are discussing it. I was pointing out a bit of the history of the dance and tying it up with what MJ says, not what a whole host of other people who claim to teach MJ a dance which was already out there in the streets.
I pointed out that what MJ did was significant because he was sending a message to his opponent in the same way it was done in the streets and the people in the audience read the signal and responded to it. As they do when it is performed in the streets. There was nothing for Jeff to teach MJ.

Since when did MJ take the credit for anything? MJ always stated that God was the reason why he is a superstar. MJ is a great artist, one of the best. If someone claimed they have taught MJ the moonwalk, then that is the issue. MJ did not create every single thing, he just made it better. MJ stated that he learned some of his dance moves from the streets in Harlem when he was doing "The Wiz" and applied them in his dance moves. MJ made the moves mainstream. I cannot understand why some fans want to make a big deal out of little things. None of you people were there so you really do not know. Leave it at that. If Jeff Daniels taught MJ the moonwalk, then that is the darn story. Why get testy over that? What is the point?

Anyway, thanks for the news, Shannon.

Who said MJ took credit for anything? Why do you allways have to turn a discussion into an attack or an argument?
MJ said he learned the moonwalk from the kids in the street. Jeff said he taught it to him. That discredits MJ's story. I believe MJ over Jeff because his story is much more plausible.

Who said MJ took credit for anything? Why do you allways have to turn a discussion into an attack or an argument?
MJ said he learned the moonwalk from the kids in the street. Jeff said he taught it to him. That discredits MJ's story. I believe MJ over Jeff because his story is much more plausible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that very same Jeff Daniel co-choreograph the Smooth Criminial part of Moonwalker with Michael? Did this guy not also work with MJ on Bad, Ghosts and his world tours? And if so, isn't it fairly unlikely that he saw Jeff as an opponent? Besides, as far as I know, Jeff has never said he taught MJ to moonwalk. The story is that MJ asked a couple of guys who worked with Jeff on Soul Train to teach him. Those two guys, Casper Candidate and Cooley Jackson, were incidentally later cast in both the Bad and the Smooth Criminal videos. Do you really think that MJ would adress either his co-choreographer or his cast members in the way that you suggest? Hardly.

Honestly, I don't see any contradiction between MJ's story and what other people are saying. This move, the moonwalk (or the backslide) has been around for a very long time indeed. I'm sure MJ did see the kids in the streets perform the move. I'm also sure he taught himself how to do it. However, knowing MJ, he would want to do it flawlessly. The way he learns, he has often said, is by studying the masters. In this case this would probably include the people who had mastered and performed this move years before he did. What's so strange or offensive about that? It's not like anybody's trying to steal Mike's glory. Nobody gets upset at the thought of MJ watching hours of Fred Astaire films to capture his moves. Same thing.

And Datsy? I assume you're not a dancer. Because by your reasoning, nobody would have to teach anybody any dancemove. Just because something looks simple it doesn't mean it is. Moonwalk certainly isn't. A lot of people can do it but only a few do it well.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that very same Jeff Daniel co-choreograph the Smooth Criminial part of Moonwalker with Michael? Did this guy not also work with MJ on Bad, Ghosts and his world tours? And if so, isn't it fairly unlikely that he saw Jeff as an opponent? Besides, as far as I know, Jeff has never said he taught MJ to moonwalk. The story is that MJ asked a couple of guys who worked with Jeff on Soul Train to teach him. Those two guys, Casper Candidate and Cooley Jackson, were incidentally later cast in both the Bad and the Smooth Criminal videos. Do you really think that MJ would adress either his co-choreographer or his cast members in the way that you suggest? Hardly.

Honestly, I don't see any contradiction between MJ's story and what other people are saying. This move, the moonwalk (or the backslide) has been around for a very long time indeed. I'm sure MJ did see the kids in the streets perform the move. I'm also sure he taught himself how to do it. However, knowing MJ, he would want to do it flawlessly. The way he learns, he has often said, is by studying the masters. In this case this would probably include the people who had mastered and performed this move years before he did. What's so strange or offensive about that? It's not like anybody's trying to steal Mike's glory. Nobody gets upset at the thought of MJ watching hours of Fred Astaire films to capture his moves. Same thing.

And Datsy? I assume you're not a dancer. Because by your reasoning, nobody would have to teach anybody any dancemove. Just because something looks simple it doesn't mean it is. Moonwalk certainly isn't. A lot of people can do it but only a few do it well.
NO, MJ does use choreographers, but when he does he gives credit where it is due. I always wonder why MJ did not give this guy credit when he claimed that he taught MJ to do the dance. MJ has gone on record as saying that he learnt it by watching kids on the street.

I read an article about someone that was at the Motown 25 and was also a friend of the family. I wish I could find the article. He confirmed that the dance was a street dance that was done to challenge their opponents to a dance off. It was in the community for a very long time, and just about every street kid knew how to do it. it was called the "Backslide'.

It wasn't new when MJ did it and iot wasn't new when Jeff did it.
What was new was the MJ's attitude and the fact that he included it in his dance. In fact that was what the black audiences were responding to, the attitude that MJ brought to it by doing it in a mainstream and with the cheekiness of the street. As if he was challenging his opponent to bring it on.
What I am saying is that the 'backslide' was a very simple step that did not require a choreographer to teach the steps, all it needed were practice at home.
I believe Jeff worked with MJ . I don't know about Smooth Criminal, since another guy is taking credit for that. But what it seems to me, as with everything MJ, everybody seems to want to take credit for what he has done. Even Thriller is contraversal in that department.

There is no need for people to get hot under the collar and insult others because they don't agree.:no:

Everyone is allowed to express their opinions. Can't a news thread just be a news thread :lol: - I hope Michael cures this boredom soon :yes:

NO, MJ does use choreographers, but when he does he gives credit where it is due. I always wonder why MJ did not give this guy credit when he claimed that he taught MJ to do the dance. MJ has gone on record as saying that he learnt it by watching kids on the street.

I read an article about someone that was at the Motown 25 and was also a friend of the family. I wish I could find the article. He confirmed that the dance was a street dance that was done to challenge their opponents to a dance off. It was in the community for a very long time, and just about every street kid knew how to do it. it was called the "Backslide'.

It wasn't new when MJ did it and iot wasn't new when Jeff did it.
What was new was the MJ's attitude and the fact that he included it in his dance. In fact that was what the black audiences were responding to, the attitude that MJ brought to it by doing it in a mainstream and with the cheekiness of the street. As if he was challenging his opponent to bring it on.
What I am saying is that the 'backslide' was a very simple step that did not require a choreographer to teach the steps, all it needed were practice at home.
I believe Jeff worked with MJ . I don't know about Smooth Criminal, since another guy is taking credit for that. But what it seems to me, as with everything MJ, everybody seems to want to take credit for what he has done. Even Thriller is contraversal in that department.

There is no need for people to get hot under the collar and insult others because they don't agree.:no:

I did not mean to insult you. I was just a little exasperated at the "nobody has to be taught the moonwalk" comment. I danced for years and was also a martial artist and believe me, the moonwalk is not an easy move by any means.

Michael did work with Jeff Daniel on Bad, Smooth Criminal and Ghosts. Just check the credits, because he is listed, as are the two other guys I mentioned.

I never contradicted that the backslide was around for a long time before MJ did it. In fact I wrote the very same thing. I don't believe anybody's ever taken credit for inventing the move, MJ certainly didn't, so that's not really the issue.

All I'm saying is that I don't see any reason to doubt two well renowned dancers, who have repeatedly worked with MJ, when they say he asked them to teach him the backslide/moonwalk. I think MJ is just giving credit where it's due when he says he learned it from the kids on the street, by emphasizing who invented it. I'm not sure he means it literally. Think about it. How is such a lesson meant to have taken place? Would MJ just ask his driver to take him to Harlem, jump out of his limo in his sparkly pants and ask the b-boys to teach him that magical move? I don't see it.

Talking with Grammy Winner Steve Pageot

Gold and Platinum plaques, a Grammy award and negotiations to work on Michael Jackson’s next studio album - these are credentials anybody would be more than proud of. But this is just the tip of the iceberg for producer/engineer/musician/composer, Steve Pageot. He’s definitely making major moves and is a mogul in the making.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/makingthemogul/stevepageot_suit.jpg

Work aside, what artists are you currently listening to for your own pleasure?

Right now, Michael Jackson. I love listening to Michael, you know. Actually, I just signed a management deal with Michael Jackson’s managers, Frank DiLeo and Terry Harvey. So they’re managing me now, and we’re in talks to bring me into the studio for Michael Jackson’s next studio album. I’ve been listening to a lot of James Brown lately and Stevie Wonder. I’m going back into the old school. There’s always something you can learn from it. You gotta know what happened in the past to go into the future.

http://current.com/items/88920879_talking_with_grammy_winner_steve_pageot

ummm???? .. interesting.. was there an error with the verb tense???

Last edited:
ummm???? .. interesting.. was there an error with verb tense???

GOOD CALL, Rasta.

And who is Terry Harvey? I don't believe I ever heard that name before. I know that Frank has worked with MJ in the past, was Terry Harvey also around back then?

Or is Terry Harvey a new name in this equation?

Steve Pageot a producer - has a name for himself winning a Grammy, working on tracks for Bone Thugs, Aretha Franklin, 8 Ball & MJG, Nick Cannon, Talib Kweli and many others.

He mentioned MJ in an interview with hiphopcanada.com:

hiphopcanada.com: "If anyone was to come up to you and ask you right now if there are any artists you would want to work with, who would it be?"

Pageot: "Michael Jackson"

HHC: "Big Michael Jackson fan?"

Pageot: "Yes. I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan."

http://www.myspace.com/stevepageot

Back