DuranDuran

Proud Member
alg_peter_paul_mary.jpg

amd_bw_mary_travers.jpg

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72
BY David Hinckley
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Updated Thursday, September 17th 2009, 3:24 PM

Mary Travers, a striking figure of power and glamour in the early-1960s folk music movement, died Wednesday at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut after suffering from leukemia for several years. She was 72.

She was best known as the blond with the bangs who commanded the middle microphone with Peter, Paul and Mary, a trio that brought folk music from coffeehouses to top-40 radio.

They also gave much of America its first taste of the young Bob Dylan by helping to turn his "Blowin' in the Wind" into a national anthem.

The group reunited several years ago to begin touring, and Travers performed with them until a few months ago, even when she needed assistance on stage.

Travers, like Paul Stookey and Peter Yarrow, saw folk music both as an art and as an instrument for change. They sang a number of sociopolitical songs, which Travers later defended.

"I'm not sure I want to be singing 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' when I'm 75," she said in one interview. "But I know I'll still be singing 'Blowin' in the Wind.' "

She was born in Louisville, Ky., but grew up in Greenwich Village and came up through the New York coffeehouse circuit, singing on her own before she was put together with Stookey and Yarrow by famed manager Albert Grossman, who also managed Dylan.

The trio took considerable criticism from fellow folk singers for developing a sound that some considered too "commercial" and not "authentic" enough.

Travers always strongly defended the trio's sound, saying that they were in the folk tradition by making music accessible to everyone, not just academic collectors.

Peter, Paul and Mary were inducted into the Sammy Cahn Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2006. Travers is survived by two daughters.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...mary_travers_of_peter_paul_and_mary_dead.html

alg_peter_paul_and_mary.jpg

Pete Yarrow, left, was with Mary Travers, of Peter, Paul and Mary, when she died Sept. 16 at age 72. Also pictued is Paul Stookey.

Pete Yarrow on Mary Travers' final hours; partner in Peter, Paul and Mary calls her a 'giant' spirit
By David Hinckley
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, September 17th 2009, 3:16 PM

Peter Yarrow, who along with Noel Paul Stookey was the long-time partner of the late Mary Travers in Peter, Paul and Mary, has sent a note of reassurance to friends about her final hours.

It was "an honor and a blessing" to have been with Travers before she died Wednesday, he said in the note.

The text follows:

"Surrounded by love with a spirit of quiet, grateful, celebration amongst many friends who had gathered to be with her, Mary chose to leave us a few minutes before 7:30 p.m.

"She was in no pain and was able to understand and respond to spoken words even up to some time late in the afternoon, just a few hours before her passing.

"I was able to convey the thoughts, messages of appreciation and love, from many of you who contacted me.

"It was an honor and a blessing to have been with Mary in this last, powerful chapter in her life. She was Mary to a 'T' until the end, nodding yesterday when asked if she wanted to go shopping with the girls at the Mall, gently (but clearly) slapping away the arm of a nurse who didn't stop doing something to Mary when she asked her not to (all this with her eyes unopened).

"I could sense her delight when I came to sit with her, massage her fingers as I always did on tour, and tell her all the things worth saying to express my love, for quite a long period of time during the day.

"She was a giant of a person, in spirit and heart, till the end. Missing her has only just begun."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...partner_in_peter_paul_and_mary_calls_her.html

my thoughts and prayers go out to her family!!! i cannot believe how many people have passed :(

Can we just have a break from all of these celebrities deaths? What a crappy year.

I know her most from the song puff the magic dragon.. I like alot of folk music too Peter, Paul and Mary were great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW6NVcqcRVE
Mary Travers passed away on September 16th. After successful recovery from leukemia through a bone marrow/stem cell transplant, Mary succumbed to the side effects of one of the
chemotherapy treatments.

In lieu of flowers the family has suggested a contribution to the:

Mary Travers Healthcare Fund at Danbury Hospital in CT.

www.danburyhospital.org/devfund
(click on "give on line, make a tribute gift") **that's nice**
rest in peace Mary, the answer is blowing in the wind.

Back