Marvin Gaye's influence on Michael

arXter

Proud Member
Much like the Stevie-MJ connection, I'm always fascinated by any links between such maestros.

I think Marvin played a big influence on Michael's musical prowess. Some of Marvin's ways might have rubbed off on him. We all know that he kept his role models very close, and Marvin was around the J5 brothers quite a lot when they were younger and just starting out on Motown. I think that Michael emulated his vocal ranges/styles as Marvin is one of the first to change his vocal styles around in songs.

But maybe the greatest influence might have been Marvin's exemplary technique of layering background vocals and playing freely with the stacked harmonies. Mike took that approach a level further.

And one of the more blatant connections comes in the form of Marvin's Got To Give It Up (written, composed and arranged by him) which heavily inspired Mike's disco/funk tracks that were penned shortly after:

dqq9oj.png

Got To Give It Up
(Pts. 1 & 2)

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough -- groove, arrangement, percussion (cowbell, conga, bottle sounds), falsetto.

Shake Your Body -- catchy chorus "let's dance/let's shout/shake ya body down to the ground" borrowed from Marvin's chant "let's dance/let's shout/gettin funky's what it's all about".

Working Day And Night -- groove, rhythm guitar, always thought this was similar to Don't Stop.​

Jermaine has said that Marvin was his (Jermaine's) idol, and he used to study his music.

And it's clear that Marvin was such an influence. It's probably the biggest factor in my admiration for Jermaine and his musicianship - from writing, producing and multi-instrumentation (including his vocals.)

Jermaine done that influence a lot of justice, in my opinion. Brilliant output throughout the 70s and 80s.

Mike doing a cover of Marvin's Why Did You Stop Loving Me would have been interesting and probably funny, especially without changing the lyrics like Daryl Hall did on his remake.

i wish the media and new stars contests give Motown legends more attention, we need their music so badly nowadays.

Also, note the use of the infamous "party track" in the background in both this song and "Don't Stop." Though, I guess it could be argued that a number of disco tunes use one.

What do you mean by "party track"? As in a particular musical style?

What do you mean by "party track"? As in a particular musical style?
I guess the poster is talking about the talking & cheering in the background that was common in funk, disco, and early rap songs of the period.
[youtube]6XuNqGw3b0g&fmt=18[/youtube]

Back