Mariah and Madonna writter and composer ?

Calotte12

Proud Member
I just want to know if Madonna and Mariah Carey are writter and composer ?

I looked in wikipedia and their names are in the list of composer... but I'm not sure if it's true. I always thought they were just there to sing the song.

Thanks !

don't know meaning of composer? thinks that has to do with composition of the music? idk? i know Madonna writes her music. don't know if she writes all of it, but lots of it yes. so she's a lyricist. composer? shrugs, no idea.

Yeah sorry, my english is not good !! Composer = the composition of the music, writter = the composition of the lyrics.

most of songs of named singers are written by other people, they dont' have the talent to create a great music

Mariah and Madonna both write and produce/compose their music.

Madonna is more of a writer than Mariah but that ain't saying much. Madonna understands Production and the sound. Mariah basically has whomever she is working with play name that tune and then writes a little bit over it.

but they ain't no real songwriters in the sense of writing a classic song. they have had big hits no dout, but it ain't because they are big time writers.

most of songs of named singers are written by other people, they dont' have the talent to create a great music
Madonna has written 98% of her stuff after the 1st album, lyric wise anyway. Mariah has written her stuff from the beggining. I don't think they have written anything solo though. They mostly write the lyrics, although Madonna has input into the music. I've never gotten the idea that someone is better because they write songs. Johnny Mathis doesn't write anything, but he's an excellent vocalist.

I think it depends on the level of your talent in terms of composing. If you are an excellent vocalist and an excellent song writer, then you'd be more talented then someone who is just an excellent vocalist. But if you are an average singer and an average song writer, then you wouldn't be as talented as someone who is just an excellent vocalist, etc... People like Mariah and Madonna I always assumed mainly wrote the lyrics and maybe had some minimal input on the composition of the music, ala Justin Timberlake, but never actually composed an entire song on their own. I never saw either of those two having that ability or talent. Of course, comparing the two is a good example of my first point of how you would rank talent. I would say Mariah is more talented then Madonna simply because, while both are singers and have some input on their song writing, Mariah is an excellent vocalist and an average song writer, while Madonna I would say is an average to below average vocalist and an average song writer.

Last edited:
Some people are just songwriters like Diane Warren, Gamble & Huff, or Linda Muriel and don't perform. Bob Dylan is praised for his songwriting, but not many compliment his singing ability. I prefer someone that can sing or play well, if they write that's fine. Orchestras and opera singers are considered by some to be the best or "real" music, but they're playing music by long deceased people written hundreds of years ago. Ultimately songwriting is only really important for financial reasons for the artist. If a song is big, the songwriter will make more money than just a singer (unless you're one of those groups like the Bar-Kays who has 10 names on each song, lol). This is why Colonel Tom Parker would stick Elvis' name on songs he had nothing to do with.

Well, without a good songwriter, a good musician would have nothing to play. So I would say songwriting is equally important to being a good singer or a good musician. Musical genuis is often in composition.

Well, without a good songwriter, a good musician would have nothing to play. So I would say songwriting is equally important to being a good singer or a good musician. Musical genuis is often in composition.
Just being a good songwriter doesn't make anyone money, though. Someone could write the best song in history, but if it isn't popular, it doesn't make any money. But somebody else could "write" some rubbish like "Laffy Taffy", and it happens to become popular, then the "songwriter" gets paid big time.

Okay? But what does that have to do with talent? lol. Being a good songwriter is important from an artistic standpoint, that's what I'm talking about. And of course, the performer royalty is the lowest. Then comes song writer royalties, then comes publication ownership. But I'm not talking about business. I'm talking about talent and how I rate it.

Madonna and Mariah for the most part have their music composed and written for them.

Madonna writes some of her songs (LYRIC-wise), and Mariah writes some of her songs (LYRIC-wise).

But it's obvious they've both had the MAJORITY of their songs written and composed FOR them.

With Mariah, that's perfectly fine in my book--because she can sing her a** off.

But if you can't sing, you need to contribute SOMETHING, lol. And Madonna can't sing. Everyone knows this. Not to mention, the lyrics Madonna writes herself are horrible.

As for composing, I don't see either of them as composers, but whatever. :p

Last edited:
Madonna and Mariah for the most part have their music composed and written for them.

Madonna writes some of her songs (LYRIC-wise), and Mariah writes some of her songs (LYRIC-wise).

But it's obvious they've both had the MAJORITY of their songs written and composed FOR them.
Madonna wrote all of her lyrics after the 2nd album, except in a few cases. I know because I have all of her albums, except the new one.

Madonna wrote all of her lyrics after the 2nd album, except in a few cases. I know because I have all of her albums, except the new one.

She should try NOT writing her lyrics though, seriously. With all that money she has, she needs to hire a songwriter.

Either that or get better at it because they suck, I'm sorry.

She should try NOT writing her lyrics though, seriously. With all that money she has, she needs to hire a songwriter.

Well apparently she got rich with the lyrics you say aren't any good, lol.

There's opinionated and then there's rude. Guess which one you are.

Madonna's lyrics have been good enough to make her the biggest pop star this world has seen besides Michael Jackson himself. Not to mention, no, not everyone thinks she can't sing. Sure, I know folks here have fun saying it, but I think Madonna has a very nice voice. She's not a big, powerhouse vocalist, but she has nice voice nonetheless. I get so sick and tired of the notion that you must sound like Mariah to be considered a good singer. We all have different voices for a reason. Anyone who says Madonna hasn't any vocal talent whatsoever hasn't listened to the Evita soundtrack [or any Madonna album for that matter]. She can sing any type of song and make it work. Not to mention Madonna performs live, unlike most [that includes the one and only MJ] despite choreography. I'd argue Madonna is vocally underrated.

Last edited:
Back