Man In The Mirror Live Adlibs..

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
"Stand up for you brother, stand up brother, stand up for me sistah ''

I have always wonderd if these adlibs were ever recorded for the studio version? I saw someone here before mention that there was an unreleased extended version with those adlibs.

Btw, love em!

hmm not quite sure, but I know "startin with the man in the mirror" was recorded for third leg of Dangerous Tour and also used for United We Stand. It sounds so obviously playback.

It's just like how MJ re-recorded Will You Be There for Dangerous Tour but each performance sounds the same from each other.

Well it was common for MJ to change words during concerts, etc. MJ just lets it all out while performing. MJ changed the words to 'Another Part of Me' as well while performing. MJ said: "This is MY planet", but in recorded version of the song he says "This is OUR planet", etc.

But I don't know if there is an extended version of 'Man in the Mirror' or not. All I do know is I love MJ very much. MJ did stand up for his brothas and sistas. MJ said "I'm not just fighting for me, but for every artist". :smilerolleyes:

Here's a live performance of MJ performing MITM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALcfb4Fb1E&feature=related

At 7:44-7:55? "Stand up brotha, Stand up for my brotha, Stand up brotha, Stand up sista, Stand up brotha".

Last edited:
"Stand up for you brother, stand up brother, stand up for me sistah ''

I have always wonderd if these adlibs were ever recorded for the studio version? I saw someone here before mention that there was an unreleased extended version with those adlibs.

Btw, love em!

To be honest, I've never heard of them being recorded for studio version. What's more I can't see the point why they should be as Michael was always singing those adlibs live (except the DWT third leg where some part of them was also pre-recorded) :)

I don´t know why he didn´t sang live that song... In Bad tour he sang live another part of me... To me is more difficult to sing than MITM

One reason why i think MITM was so much better on the Bad Tour than the Dangerous tour is because of the ad-libbing. He sings more of the song live on the Bad tour than he did on the Dangerous tour, and the ad-libs were far better on the Bad tour.

Not after 2 hours of straight performing dancing and singing MITM isn't easier and it is much more intense vocally and performance wise than APOMwhich is a relatively short number at the beginning of his concert when he still had lots of energy. He completly drains himself and gives his all with this last performance. People are moved it touches their heart and soul and I doubt any watching are disapointed. Michael has his reasons of why he would use playback for certain songs.. and it wasnt becuase he was lazy as some say.

I would say number one reason for playback was to save his voice becuase there is no way it would hold out if he sang every song live for all his concerts. His vocal chords would be torn .. 2nd reason being winded due to the amount of dancing and running he did and wouldnt be able to sing certain songs as they should be. A 3rd reason may have been he didnt want to disapoint he wanted it perfect, He was the ultimat performer and knew what he was doing and the reasons why. No one left disapointed or felt cheated. If they did then nothign would please them.

Not after 2 hours of straight performing dancing and singing it isn't easier and it is much more intense vocally and performance wise than APOM
which is a relatively short number at the beginning of his concert when he still had lots of energy. He completly drains himself and gives his all with this last performance. People are moved it touches their heart and soul and I doubt any watching are disappointed. Michael has his reasons of why he would use playback for certain songs.. and it wasnt because he was lazy as some say.

I agree with you, except for the History tour. Either it was throat problems, or he just wasn't physically up to singing and dancing throughout a 2 hour concert at that stage of his life. It was 90% playback.

However on the Bad Tour in particular, it is completely understandable why a couple of songs were lip-synced. And even on a song such as MITM, he lip syncs about 2/3rds of but then just kills it at the end with the intensity of his performance - the dancing, the ad-libbing etc.

MITM from the Bad Tour is the best ending to any MJ concert.

One reason why i think MITM was so much better on the Bad Tour than the Dangerous tour is because of the ad-libbing. He sings more of the song live on the Bad tour than he did on the Dangerous tour, and the ad-libs were far better on the Bad tour.

I really beg to differ. In my humble opinion MITM from Dangerous Tour is far more superior than the bad tour version. Imma tell you why i think so

For starters he had evovled alot since Bad as a dancer and a performer and that gave him this kind of ''calmness" to execute his moves with ease. His spins were alot faster and longer (Seen in monza, last spin in bucharest (?), Hamburg, etc etc.) He had also developed a thing i called '' Warmup spins ''. That is perfectly seen in the last spin of bucharest, the way he warmup by circling like a helicopter before doing the real spin.

I don't know what you mean by '' The adlibs were far better on the bad tour'' because he did the same adlibs that he did on the bad tour, he even enhanced them and added new words and new ways of phrasing them. Halfway into the tour he came in live on MITM alot sooner than he did later on the tour, just watch listen to Munich, Cologne, Stockholm, London. The way he made that amalgamation to the '' You got to make it brother. you got to lift yourself! '' was just pure genius and those adlibs were outta this world so for me his adlibbing on dangerous was alot better than bad.

The ending.. Flying away in a jetpack while the dramatic music plays in the background. The Dangerous Tour opening and ending is by far the best.

I really beg to differ. In my humble opinion MITM from Dangerous Tour is far more superior than the bad tour version. Imma tell you why i think so

For starters he had evovled alot since Bad as a dancer and a performer and that gave him this kind of ''calmness" to execute his moves with ease. His spins were alot faster and longer (Seen in monza, last spin in bucharest (?), Hamburg, etc etc.) He had also developed a thing i called '' Warmup spins ''. That is perfectly seen in the last spin of bucharest, the way he warmup by circling like a helicopter before doing the real spin.

I don't know what you mean by '' The adlibs were far better on the bad tour'' because he did the same adlibs that he did on the bad tour, he even enhanced them and added new words and new ways of phrasing them. Halfway into the tour he came in live on MITM alot sooner than he did later on the tour, just watch listen to Munich, Cologne, Stockholm, London. The way he made that amalgamation to the '' You got to make it brother. you got to lift yourself! '' was just pure genius and those adlibs were outta this world so for me his adlibbing on dangerous was alot better than bad.

The ending.. Flying away in a jetpack while the dramatic music plays in the background. The Dangerous Tour opening and ending is by far the best.

Yup. Not to mention I even prefer his Dangerous voice in MITM live way over Bad tour. He was just more mature and sounded even stronger (rougher, harsher) and I love that. In Bucharest "you got to lift/live yourself!" It sounds dang genious!

hmm not quite sure, but I know "startin with the man in the mirror" was recorded for third leg of Dangerous Tour and also used for United We Stand. It sounds so obviously playback.

It's just like how MJ re-recorded Will You Be There for Dangerous Tour but each performance sounds the same from each other.

Michael didn't re-record Will You Be There for the Dangerous tour; apparently those vocals were taken from one of the early versions of the song (according to an article I read somewhere that I can't find now).

Not after 2 hours of straight performing dancing and singing MITM isn't easier and it is much more intense vocally and performance wise than APOMwhich is a relatively short number at the beginning of his concert when he still had lots of energy. He completly drains himself and gives his all with this last performance. People are moved it touches their heart and soul and I doubt any watching are disapointed. Michael has his reasons of why he would use playback for certain songs.. and it wasnt becuase he was lazy as some say.

I would say number one reason for playback was to save his voice becuase there is no way it would hold out if he sang every song live for all his concerts. His vocal chords would be torn .. 2nd reason being winded due to the amount of dancing and running he did and wouldnt be able to sing certain songs as they should be. A 3rd reason may have been he didnt want to disapoint he wanted it perfect, He was the ultimat performer and knew what he was doing and the reasons why. No one left disapointed or felt cheated. If they did then nothign would please them.

This is like thaken straight from my head. That's exactly what I think and how I've been always explaining the MITM thing :)

Which concerts except in Mexico did he perform MITM during the third leg of the Dangerous Tour? Based on all the amateur concerts that exists from the third leg it seems to be withdrawn from most of the concerts Singapore, Moscow, Tenerife and Buenos Aires.

Which concerts except in Mexico did he perform MITM during the third leg of the Dangerous Tour? Based on all the amateur concerts that exists from the third leg it seems to be withdrawn from most of the concerts Singapore, Moscow, Tenerife and Buenos Aires.

I was wonderin this too..

In my opinion Bad Tour MITM is better. Just because he sings more of the song live and I like how the music sounds on Bad Tour. I also prefer the Bad Tour ending because I like how the album version ends and then after that big fireworks.

L.A. MITM is amazing(Wembley MITM is is even more amazing!):

In Bucharest 1992 he starts singing just before the 2nd spin.

Last edited:
I don´t know why he didn´t sang live that song too~~????

In my opinion Bad Tour MITM is better. Just because he sings more of the song live and I like how the music sounds on Bad Tour. I also prefer the Bad Tour ending because I like how the album version ends and then after that big fireworks.

Yeah but after he presents the crew, he goes into singing again and does ton of damn amazing adlibs which I prefer over Bad tour. And then HOO HOOO HOOO HOOO and amazing spin and then he gets up and continues to sing :punk: But I do agree about Bad tour ending. Although I'm not sure whether I prefer rocket man or Bad tour. Both are epic to me.

I gotta admit the bad tour ending with the "Chaange... Make that change." is also powerful. Overall im leaning more towards the dangerous ending. Btw he did that ending in the tokyo shows on dangerous, so i guess it was some kind of hybrid.

The reason I prefer it on the Bad Tour is because he starts singing live earlier in the song, his voice sounds better (in my opinion), the ad-libs are more intense. On the Dangerous tour the live singing starts a lot later in the song.

On the Bad tour he almost becomes possessed whilst singing MITM, he gets so into it. It's such an epic ending to the concert. Not quite the same intensity on the Dangerous tour.

I prefer Bad Tour's singing & ad-libs but in Dangerous Tour, Michael's dancing is better. More longer spins and stuff... Well, if both combined, it would be awesome!

Slightly offtopic:p...

[youtube]1D_h-WkNs1E[/youtube]

00:33, That part was even more intense than bucharest :D

We need to see better pro-shot performance of MITM from Dangerous Tour for a fair comparison I think, the amatuer footage is pretty crappy in terms of video and particularly audio (which makes it difficult to hear the adlibs), but from what I can see from the amatuer stuff, there were much better performances of MITM than the Bucharest one (in which the best part of it was added from another show) on Dangerous Tour.
I freakin love Man In The Mirror from BAD Tour, the adlibbing is great, he puts so much emotion into it, gets some real grit into his voice, its fantastic!

^^My all time favourite MITM performance! I want to see this as bad as i wanted a 88 leg concert :p

Just look at 3:10. See how he is experimenting with the hop-kicks before the spin. He was just alot more comfortable and routined during Dangerous.

MITM from Monza beats, MITM from Wembley,Moonwalker and Los Angeles! Oh yeah, i saaid it!... :D

Last edited:
The spin at 5:00 from Monza was fucking amazing....A lot of energy from Monza dam I really like this performance ahaha

I think it's funny that he wore knee pads for dirty diana, but none for MITM, which he's slamming his knees on the ground a lot more.

I think it's funny that he wore knee pads for dirty diana, but none for MITM, which he's slamming his knees on the ground a lot more.
Wearing them underneath instead of on top maybe?

I would say number one reason for playback was to save his voice becuase there is no way it would hold out if he sang every song live for all his concerts.

Yeah, this reminds me of the story of recording Earth Song for HIStory. He recorded it last, because he knew it would wear out his voice and he would need time to recover after that. Imagine having to perform MITM every second day on a tour with such intensity.

Back