Maloney grad’s quilt art pays tribute to Michael Jackson

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meri...1e17-11e1-934d-0019bb2963f4.html#.TtwvJGNFu7s

4edacd62054c1.preview-300.jpg

13230286322.jpg

MERIDEN - After the death of Michael Jackson in 2009, Kathy (Kasperovich) Knapp created an ensemble designed to symbolize and inspire innovation in the arts. Knapp, a former Meriden resident and 1974 graduate of Maloney High School, decided to pay tribute to Jackson by developing a quilted wearable art piece called "Just Bead It."

The garment, said Knapp, was constructed with free-motion quilting, patchwork, and embellished with assorted antique gold beads and double beaded yo-yos, and was constructed with more than 2,000 two-inch squares.

It was Knapp's first time designing wearable art. With little knowledge of what she was doing and with only six weeks until her first showing of the piece, Knapp discovered a hidden talent she never knew she had.

Since then, Knapp has won more than 50 awards, nationally and internationally.
A retired podiatrist, who lives in Belpri, Ohio, with her husband, William, Kathy Knapp considers this her new full-time job.

Last month, Knapp had two pieces on display in the International Quilt Association's annual show, "Quilts: A World of Beauty," in Houston. The show is one of the most competitive and accepts one out of every two entries. Knapp is the only designer to have two quilted garments in the showing.

"They only pick 12 pieces internationally, so it's very exciting that two of my pieces were picked," she said.

Knapp, who never went to design school, discovered her talent as a form of physical therapy.

"I had problems with my wrist when I was a podiatrist. I saw an article that said quilting helps cure the pain so I started off with traditional quilting," said Knapp. "I went to an art show and saw the wearable art and thought it was interesting and gave it a try. It's not anything I would have expected."

Knapp's unique designs set her apart from other designers by using tremendous amounts of beadings and Swarovski crystals in her garments.

"Everything she does is not the norm," said Jenice Miller, a friend and owner of Quilters Corner, a store in Marietta, Ohio, that Knapp frequents. "It's unique and different than anything I've seen before."

Designs Knapp has created include "Just Plum Crazy," a finalist in the 2011 International Quilt Festival and first place winner in the 2011 National Quilt Association show in Columbus, Ohio.

The design, according to Knapp, was inspired by her love of crazy quilting and different shades of purple. The jacket was constructed from 36 crazy quilt blocks set on point, with free-motion quilting, hand beading with assorted antique gold beads and embellishments. The strapless dress was constructed from over 900 two-inch squares and quilted with bronze glitter thread.

Knapp is continuing to work on new pieces for future shows, including a second Michael Jackson tribute piece to celebrate his life using Jackson's favorite colors in garment. She is also planning to start up a website where she plans to sell her pieces to potential clients.

Thanks for posting. I am a quilt-artist myself (among other things), and that piece looks absolutely beautiful, and seems to have been a labor of love.

Back