Maggie Goes On A Diet: The Book That's Sparked Controversy All Over Amazon

Severus Snape

Proud Member
From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-stampler/disturbing-new-childrens-_b_931532.html

Huffington Post said:
A chubby young girl with Pippi Longstocking braids stands in front of the mirror holding up a too-small pink dress and sees a different -- some may say better -- version of herself. Her mirror image is thin.
No, this is not an after school special on eating disorders; it's the cover of a (disturbing) new children's book with the (possibly more disturbing) title, Maggie Goes on a Diet. And, this will be in bookstores October 16.

The Amazon description of Paul M. Kramer's self published book reads:
This book is about a 14 year old girl who goes on a diet and is transformed from being extremely overweight and insecure to a normal sized girl who becomes the school soccer star. Through time, exercise and hard work, Maggie becomes more and more confident and develops a positive self image.

Barnes & Noble recommends the book to children aged 6 to 12.
In the land of hypothetical, there could be some rationale behind the plot.

Teaching kids to make healthy lifestyle choices from an early age is a worthy endeavor (one that first lady Michelle Obama has taken on as her own), and childhood obesity is a serious public health issue nationwide. According to the CDC, approximately 17 percent of children and adolescents are obese in the United States, over triple the rate a generation ago.

But Maggie isn't looking at an imagined reflection of herself dominating the soccer field. For this little girl, it's all about the dress. The book is promoting skinny first, with a side of healthy slipped in later.

Just as childhood obesity is on the rise, eating disorder rates are climbing, and affecting younger and younger kids. Last year, the American Academy of Pediatrics reported a 199 percent increase in the number of eating disorder-related hospitalizations for children under the age of 12 between 1999 and 2006. A 2011 study found that nearly one in 60 adolescents has anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorder. Over half of little girls aged 3 to 6 think they are fat.

Disturbing, yes. Surprising? With infant's onesies that were selling for $23.95 that read, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels," unfortunately not.

Here is a video of the author, who is notably overweight, defending his self-published abomination:

Really, what does an obese middle-aged man know about girls and their self-image problems? And, who is he to tell anyone anything about their weight when he's morbidly obese himself! Does that make sense?! I dunno about you, but I wouldn't take my diet advice from someone like that guy...

It's a sticky situation and one I think the media will try and twist to suite their ends. But I think more stories like this should be written as the worlds weight is coming more under the spotlight and weight issues and related health topics become more of an issue. I was very overweight at one point and through a lot of the description of what goes on in this story is what I did.

It's a sticky situation and one I think the media will try and twist to suite their ends. But I think more stories like this should be written as the worlds weight is coming more under the spotlight and weight issues and related health topics become more of an issue. I was very overweight at one point and through a lot of the description of what goes on in this story is what I did.

I would be inclined to agree with you were this not an overwhelmingly notable case of good ol' hypocrisy and sexism. Why didn't the author, who is 1) Male and 2) Morbidly obese, do these: 1) Write about a young boy's experience dealing with weight problems--he'd know more about that, I'm sure, than he would about a female perspective, and 2) Take his own advice and go on a diet before writing a book about going on a diet. He's neither a dietitian nor a pediatrician, so why is he meddling in children's diet issues? Unprofessional interference could be potentially dangerous, there's no doubt about that.

More importantly, though, is the horrible blunder of the book's title. Why not call it, "Maggie Makes Healthy Choices", or something along those lines, or else make it a generic book where multiple children of both genders, all races, etc. make healthy choices and shun junk food? I doubt anyone would argue that's a bad thing to write about.

I guess the most disturbing thing in this entire story is the fact that the message the book seems to be sending is more about social acceptance and less about the importance of being healthy. Let us look at some of the known background info. this book features:

1) The catalyst for Maggie's diet is to cease the taunting she receives at school for being overweight.
2) From the cover image, Maggie's entire motivation for "going on a diet" is to fit into a tiny dress--i.e. superficial ambitions, not health-related benefits.
3) People pay attention to Maggie only after she becomes "normal," at which point boys start speaking decently to her, and she becomes popular. The message this sends is dangerous--it is one where social acceptance and popularity are the reasons behind dieting, and health is entirely cut out of the picture. Is that the kind of message you want impressionable young children (4 to 8 year olds were the target audience of this "work", according to printed sources) to receive? Pray tell, why should 4-8 year old kids care about being popular or attracting boys' attention?

Moreover, diets are unhealthy for young children. I wouldn't even put 14 year old Maggie on a diet. Do you know what a diet is? I do. I eat a maximum of 1,200 calories every day, and exercise for at least 30 minutes (usually 2 hours, but now that school is in session, I have to cut it back to 30-60 mins). However, I'm almost 20 years old. I'm not going to grow any more than I already have, so this is not exactly dangerous for me. For a growing boy/girl, however, undergoing such restrictions could have dangerous physical and mental consequences.

Instead of "dieting" to conform to a certain image, the vocabulary used should be related to healthy eating and life choices.

I know I'm no one to preach about making healthy choices (if you knew what I do, you'd cringe), but that's why I'm not writing books for 4 year olds to read.

I was with what this book was saying until I found out it was written by a fat male. #FAIL.

Also, what Maggie did was not just a diet. It would have to be a lifestyle change or Maggie will be a fatty again in no time. That is the kind of message that is missing. Losing weight just to fit a dress or go on vacation does not take away the underlying reasons for a persons weight going out of control.

I agree with every thing in Severus' last post. While the it's great for a book to promote exercise and eating heathly, this book goes about it in the wrong way. (Also, the author's attempt to defend the title was just stupid.)

If I had a 4-8 year old daughter, I wouldn't buy her this book.

I was with what this book was saying until I found out it was written by a fat male. #FAIL.

Also, what Maggie did was not just a diet. It would have to be a lifestyle change or Maggie will be a fatty again in no time. That is the kind of message that is missing. Losing weight just to fit a dress or go on vacation does not take away the underlying reasons for a persons weight going out of control.

Indeed. It has been observed that people who go on temporary diets tend to regain at least a portion the weight when they finally go off said diet. That's why I will probably be eating 1,200 calories per day for the rest of my life--any more and I may become fat. That is another important point Kramer's book missed, thank you for bringing it to general attention.

Back