Madonna sets trends?

Last warning!

Lay off the personal attacks, or this thread will be closed.

AND in case you haven't noticed we are not allowing threads about artist being compared to MJ, and this is exactly why, yall get ur panties in a bunch and start ish up...so cool yourselves down.

Last warning!

Lay off the personal attacks, or this thread will be closed.

AND in case you haven't noticed we are not allowing threads about artist being compared to MJ, and this is exactly why, yall get ur panties in a bunch and start ish up...so cool yourselves down.

Although any topic regarding Madonna will always bring up something about Michael, I think this tread has mainly stayed on the subject of does Madonna set trends. If the thread just becomes a Michael Jackson vs Madonna thread then I agree that it should be closed.

On topic though, whenever I see Britney post 1999, Christina's music videos, and a few other females, I see Madonna. I hear Madonna in some of their music. I even see a bit of Madonna in Janet's mid-90's stuff in regards to the talking over tracks and things like that.

And let's not forget that even if she didn't influence someone, that doesn't mean that they didn't go through a door opened my Madonna. Just like a lot of black artists have Michael Jackson to thank for opening up doors to black artists on MTV, comedians were allowed to be vulgar on a bigger stage thanks to Carlin getting his act onto cable, many females who go a provocative route may have Madonna to thank.

As far as image goes, yes I see that Christina has been influenced by Madonna, but when I see her perform I think more of Whitney and Mariah. Britney Spears has always called Madonna her biggest influence, but I think she has been more influenced by Janet Jackson than Madonna. Everything from Britney's music to her video's to her stage performances-ALL Janet, but the media and others will say it's all Madonna. Janet doesn't get enough credit sometimes imo.

Last edited:
I suppose it's hard to define. But you can hear Madonna's sound in anything Britney, Kylie, Rhianna & Christina have done. Especially the first two. Before Madonna came around the female 'pop' artist didn't really exist in megastar form. The nearest we had was Debbie Harry (who obviously influenced Madonna).

Not to mention her concerts. Janet, Britney & Kylie virtually carbon copy them.

It's difficult to say which songs musically have inspired other songs. But the songs I mentioned above and most of the 60 odd I didn't are classic pop songs. Hence why her Immaculate Collection album has sold so well.

I think it's disingenuous to say that despite being the number one female artist consistently over 25 years she hasn't inspired anybody. That's got nothing to do with not liking her music. I'm not a big fan of David Bowie but I can see how influential he's been and he was all about image as well as music.

I wouldn't say Janet copies Madonna.

Madonna copies Michael.

Janet copies Michael.

They're virtually the female forms of Michael. Period! They were all influenced by his dance, and his stage antics/props/back-drops/set-ups, you name it.

So, if anything, Madonna is the copy-cat. Janet's only following her big brother.

I wouldn't say Janet copies Madonna.

Madonna copies Michael.

Janet copies Michael.

They're virtually the female forms of Michael. Period! They were all influenced by his dance, and his stage antics/props/back-drops/set-ups, you name it.

So, if anything, Madonna is the copy-cat. Janet's only following her big brother.

Madonna doesn't just copy Michael, but also equally David Bowie and Prince.

I wouldn't say Janet copies Madonna as she is more influenced by Michael (but as she's his sister it may be just natural and not just copying), but Janet's more sexual image since around 1993's Janet album is an influence of Madonna. Because until Madonna women in pop didn't have a sexually provocative image. Some pop stars before Madonna like Debbie Harry of Blondie were far more beautiful/stunning and sexy and musically more influencial. But as entertainers they just sang songs. I hate Madonna, but her sexually provocative persona/image gave the the female pop star a kick ass power it never had before. Stars like Janet Jackson have gained hugely from Madonna breaking the rules of how a women could project themselves in music. Just as stars like Madonna have gained hugely from Michael bringing dancing in to the mainstream of music videos and touring etc. And artists like Michael have gained from David Bowie who brought performing theatrical versions their songs and stage design to touring etc.

Last edited:
I love Madonna's songs

"Die another day" and "This used to be my playground"! So good and the Die Another Day music video is genius!

Madonna is kicking ass everywhere. Fans are geeting ready for her first concert of the sticky and sweet tour in cardiff this evening

Have anyone seen her Sticky and Sweet Tour clips on Utube?

I have. And I don't think it's that impressive as Confessions. Although I am yet to see it live - September 25th :)

Have anyone seen her Sticky and Sweet Tour clips on Utube?

Been looking at Cardiff clips today, Im so hyped, cant wait for 11th September. Wasnt too thrilled to hear that her classics were being given a new makeover but the Like a Prayer and Into the Groove clips I saw have reassured me that this will be a fantastic show. Theres just no one out there at the moment putting on such elaborate, theatrical shows as Madonna, she can certainly entertain, hats off to her!

Of course she sets trends. Especially in the 80s and early 90s. She breaks the boundaries and the rest of the females follow 3 years later.

Some images from Madonna's Sticky and Sweet Tour.

8AA4BF3D3891EACCEE6C2297F878D.jpg

cardiff_87.jpg

aaa.jpg

sphzvvo1qx_thumb_madonna_live_10.gif

retrozq0.jpg

snf23bizmad2-280_562146a.jpg

znwcfbmhsc_thumb_madonna_live_16.gif

aleqm5iyjt5em1vvcwib0mbdwfjt5iyh0g.jpg

3166ub29qz_thumb_madonna_live_11.gif

8oglf75bo2_thumb_madonna_live_7.gif

xvcdnkekss_thumb_madonna_live_2.gif

081wggzab5_thumb_madonna_live_9.gif

p1svi9t6fj_thumb_madonna_live_10.gif

orfjb7xyud_thumb_madonna_live_13.gif

wvowovilys_thumb_madonna_live_17.gif

Last edited:
It's hard to believe she's 50 :eek: :eek: She's so cuteeeeeeee! :D
I've seen some clips but there're always someone singing along too loud and I can hear nothing :lol: :lol: But it looks fabulous :yes:

Last edited:
Not feeling her costumes this time around, not much thought seems to have gone into them. From the clips I've seen I would hope fans would get a better experience seeing it 'live' than what I'm seeing on YouTube.

Found a fun picture. Madonna's energy level puts me to shame and I'm 27. lol

cardiff_176.jpg

Not feeling her costumes this time around, not much thought seems to have gone into them. From the clips I've seen I would hope fans would get a better experience seeing it 'live' than what I'm seeing on YouTube.

same here, I prefer the "futuristic" style of Confessions to Sticky And Sweet - both tour and album...

I think the Pharrell and Kanye on the screen is inspired by Michaels Don't Stop till you get enough video.

MADONNA PULLS IN SWITZERLAND’S BIGGEST CONCERT EVER

• Date: Sep 1,2008

Record number of fans showed up for Madonna’s Sticky & Sweet tour in Switzerland this past weekend. And we’re talking record numbers! More than 72,000 fans showed up the Dübendorf former military airfield near Zurich. The Rolling Stones had played the same venue back in 2006, but to about 10K less fans. And boy did fans show their loyalty! Madge was given a standing ovation as she was brought in on a throne in the beginning of the show. All hail the Queen of Pop!

http://music.hollyscoop.com

Well she performed here in Holland last night,but everytime they would announce it on tv they also said that the show wasn't sold out...it was even in the newspaper how it was't sold out...So I guess she is having a record breaking tour in other places but not here..2 years ago the show was sold out pretty quick I think.

But today they are saying it was a great show,even though some said she didn't quite hit the notes sometimes,but she made up for it by how much of a show it was apperiantly.

Back