Madea goes to Jail

Thanks! "Madea" is a very popular character! Tyler Perry is a comedic genius( imo).

It went Number 1 at box office opening weekend, grossing over 40 million, I heard!!!!!!!!

Go Madea, Go Madea.

yeah, this is one of those things that i haven't seen yet, but i know it looks funny. i haven't seen any of the madea movies...but i just get that feeling from seeing the trailers. hollywood's been suspect so i have been too lazy too see any movies...lol

yeah, this is one of those things that i haven't seen yet, but i know it looks funny. i haven't seen any of the madea movies...but i just get that feeling from seeing the trailers. hollywood's been suspect so i have been too lazy too see any movies...lol

vncwilliam, you been missing out. I haven't seen this one yet but I try to see as many as my pocket will allow, lol. To give you a proper introduction to the madea character, you may wanna go snd pick up a few of the stage plays on dvd, thats what we did!

The stage play of "Madea goes to jail" is the bomb! You will be laughing your head off, my whole family did, lol!

I got no desire of ever seeing that movie. Mainly because I hate Tyler Perry's stuff. Mainly those horrible and unfunny Madea movies. I can't believe that is the number 1 movie in the U.S. when to me it should be Slumdog Millionaire. Which is a way better movie to watch.

Have you ever watched an entire Tyler Perry Movie? All of his movies are not only funny but have a very good message. He always has an awesome cast too.

Saw the movie last night, Keisha and Derek's story was incredible in the backdrop of Madea's story. I loved the movie and I am so proud of Tyler doing his thing, definitely planning on buying it when it comes out on DVD.

Damn!!! I would love to have the Madea character at our next family barbeque!!! The thought makes me laugh in hysterics? can you picture that ish?

I saw the clip from the movie when Madea's white hair was in that frenchbraid hairstyle, it looked like she was about to charge at someone with her fist or something?
It looked so funny!

Can't wait to see it.

I think it's a shame this film doesn't seem to be international.

i saw it last night it was good. it was better than the others.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090301/ap_en_mo/box_office;_ylt=AvSmvAGCAqyWXdEYuNj9fKdxFb8C

'Madea' locks up top spot at weekend box office

LOS ANGELES – "Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail" locked up $16.5 million in ticket sales to claim the top spot at the box office for a second straight weekend, beating out "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience."

The Jonas Brothers film, featuring the band on stage and off, took in $12.7 million, the second-biggest opening for a concert film behind 2008's "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert." That 3-D film, chronicling fellow Disney idol Miley Cyrus, premiered at the top of the charts after playing in just 683 theaters. "Jonas Brothers" opened in 1,271 theaters.

"'Hannah Montana' set a bar so high it's going to take forever to knock it off," said Chuck Viane, president of distribution for Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. "Everything about it worked. She was coming off a great album and tour and three years on the Disney Channel. I don't think any set of circumstances will ever be quite what 'Hannah' had."

Feisty, pistol-packin' granny Madea remained unstoppable at the box office. The two previous films centering on Perry's foul-mouthed character — 2005's "Diary of Mad Black Woman" and 2006's "Madea's Family Reunion" — also debuted at No. 1, and they grossed more than $150 million total.

"We've been talking a lot lately about people going to the movies to escape," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office tracker Media By Numbers. "Usually, people want to escape from jail, but people keep wanting to escape to jail with Madea. That character has made a huge mark. If you've got 'Tyler Perry' or 'Madea' in the title, you've got a hit."

"Slumdog Millionaire," riding high after collecting eight Oscars last week, finished third with $12.1 million, bringing its total to $115 million and giving it the biggest post-Academy Awards weekend for a best picture Oscar winner in 10 years.

"I still run into people who haven't seen it," said Sheila DeLoach, senior vice president of distribution at Fox Searchlight. "I'm like 'Hello? Do you live on the planet?' But obviously, there were a lot of people who hadn't seen it yet or we wouldn't have gone up 45 percent this weekend, so it's really terrific."

The week's other new wide release, the video game adaptation "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" distributed by 20th Century Fox, opened at No. 8 with $4.6 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail," $16.5 million.

2. "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience," $12.7 million.

3. "Slumdog Millionaire," $12.1 million.

4. "Taken," $9.9 million.

5. "He's Just Not That Into You," $5.8 million.

6. "Paul Blart: Mall Cop," $5.6 million.

7. "Coraline," $5.2 million.

8. "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li," $4.6 million.

9. "Confessions of a Shopaholic," $4.4 million.

10. "Fired Up," 3.8 million.

___

On the Net:

http://www.mediabynumbers.com

___

So is this some kind of series or what? I've never heard about Madea before.. from that trailer and your comments it sounds lots of fun though.

I think it's a shame this film doesn't seem to be international.
Oh, are you sure? I won't be able to see it here in Finland? :(

If you are able to see it, I'm happy for you. But I don't think I will be able to find it at the cinema.

Tyler Perry's inspirational journey from the hard streets of New Orleans to the heights of Hollywood's A-list is the stuff of American legend. Born into poverty and raised in a household scarred by abuse, Tyler fought from a young age to find the strength, faith and perseverance that would later form the foundations of his much-acclaimed plays, films, books and shows.

It was a simple piece of advice from Oprah Winfrey that set Tyler's career in motion. Encouraged to keep a diary of his daily thoughts and experiences, Tyler began writing a series of soul-searching letters to himself-letters full of pain, forgiveness, and, in time, a healing catharsis. The letters inspired a musical, I Know I've Been Changed, and in 1992 Tyler gathered his life's savings and set off for Atlanta in hopes of staging it for sold out crowds. He spent all the money but the people never came, and Tyler once again came face to face with the poverty that had plagued his youth. He spent months sleeping in seedy motels and his car but his faith-in God and, in turn, himself-only got stronger. He forged a powerful relationship with the church, and he kept writing. In 1998 his perseverance paid off and a promoter booked I Know I've Been Changed for a limited run at a local church-turned-theatre. This time the community came out in droves, and soon the musical moved to Atlanta's prestigious Fox Theatre. Tyler Perry never looked back.

I Know I've Been Changed was a poignant story of failure and redemption, and it resounded with urban audiences who identified with its themes and exalted in its spirit. In Tyler they'd found a voice for their longings, and an outlet for their entertainment, and so began an incredible run of eight plays in as many years, including Woman Thou Art Loosed!, a celebrated collaboration with the prominent Dallas pastor T.D. Jakes.

But if audiences were buoyed by Tyler's faith, they were bowled over by his humor. No way around it: the man was plain funny. Nowhere was this more in evidence than in 2000's I Can Do Bad All By Myself, which marked the first appearance of the now-legendary Madea. A God-fearing, gun-toting, loud-mouthed grandmother, Madea was played by Perry himself. Madea was such a resounding success, she soon spawned a series of plays-Madea's Family Reunion (2002), Madea's Class Reunion (2003) and Madea Goes to Jail (2005).

In early 2005, Tyler's first feature film, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, debuted at #1 nationwide. Tyler's ensuing films, Madea's Family Reunion, Daddy Little Girls, Why Did I Get Married?, Meet the Browns and The Family That Preys have all met with massive critical and commercial success, delighting audiences across America and around the world.

2006 saw the publication of Tyler's first book, Don't Make a Black Woman Take off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Life and Love, which shot to the top of the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list and remained there for eight weeks. It went on to claim Quill Book Awards for both "Humor" and "Book of the Year" (an unheard-of feat for a first-time author), and spread Tyler Perry's unique brand of inspirational entertainment to a devoted new audience. It is a brand that is quickly becoming an empire.

In 2007, Tyler expanded his reach to television with the TBS series Tyler Perry's House of Payne, the highest-rated first-run syndicated cable show of all time, which has gone into syndication after only a year. Not one to rest on success, Tyler Perry and his 300 Atlanta-based employees are hard at work on new projects including Meet the Browns a ten-episode pilot (based one of Tyler's plays) for a TV series; Jazz Man, a 1940s-era film drama (currently in pre-production); Madea Goes to Jail (release date February 20, 2009).

In the fall of 2008, Perry also opened his 200,000 square foot studios in Atlanta situated on the former Delta Airlines campus on more than 30 acres. Employing hundreds of local Atlantans, his new studio consists of 5 sound stages, a post production facility, a pond, a back lot, a 400 seat screening room and designated areas for entertaining and holding events.

In January 2009, Perry was honored by the National Association of Television Program Executives (NATPE) with the Brandon Tartikoff Legacy Award. The Brandon Tartikoff Legacy Award was created to recognize a select group of television professionals who exhibit extraordinary passion, leadership, independence and vision in the process of creating television programming.

That same month he also received an NAACP Image Award nomination for Outstanding Directing in a Motion Picture (Theatrical or Television) for Tyler Perry's THE FAMILY THAT PREYS.

Listen to Tyler Perry and you'll hear a man who hasn't forgotten about the people that have helped him reach the top a mountain he could once only dream of climbing. He has been intimately involved in civil rights cases-including the trial of the Jena 6 in his home state of Louisiana, and charities that focus on helping the homeless, such as America's Second Harvest, the Atlanta Food Bank, and Perry Place - a 20 home community Tyler built for survivors of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Tyler Perry practices what he preaches, and what he preaches has endeared him to millions of fans drawn by that unique blend of spiritual hope and down-home humor that continues to shape his inspiring life story and extraordinary body of work.

From http://www.tylerperry.com/_About/

I loved the movie!

You can never go wrong with Tyler Perry. You can tell he's a really great guy and I wish him all the success.

I saw it, it wasn't his best ever, but it was pretty good. Keisha Knight Pulliam, Derek Luke and Tyler Perry (as Madea of course) were all really good. It was a pretty funny film and it had heart too. I enjoyed it.

I haven't seen it yet...but I really loved the Family Reunion film....that was a movie....

Family Reunion was my favorite movie and Class Reunion was my favorite play.. I think. They are all so good!

Back