M Poetica: Michael Jackson's Art of Connection and Defiance

claudiadoina

Proud Member

Product Description
M Poetica shows that, through his work, Michael Jackson himself answered some of the most troubling questions surrounding him. Why did his skin become so pale? He explains why in his work. What was behind the plastic surgery scandal? He explains that as well. He wasn't just creating compelling songs, videos, and dance moves. He was creating a new poetics, meaning a new theory about the scope, function, and power of art.

M Poetica asserts that Michael Jackson was a major artist, surpassing Warhol in the reach of his artistic understanding, the importance of his ideas, and the deep cultural shifts he helped bring about--particularly the way we think about and experience racial differences. But he was an artist unlike any we've ever seen before, and we need new tools and a new approach to understand him and fully appreciate his work. M Poetica provides those tools and, through close analysis of his lyrics and visual art, reveals his intelligence, his humor, his passion, and his revolutionary ideas about the transformative power of art. It also provides fresh interpretations of some of his most interesting videos, including Thriller, Scream, Ghosts, The Way You Make Me Feel, Billie Jean, Beat It, Bad, Jam, Blood on the Dance Floor, Smooth Criminal, Earth Song, and Stranger in Moscow.

Willa Stillwater has a Ph.D. in English. Her doctoral research focused on the ways in which cultural narratives (such as racism) are made real for us by being "written" on our bodies, and she sees this concept as an important element of Michael Jackson's work--part of what he called social conditioning. She has been a Michael Jackson fan since she was nine years old.

Did anyone hear about this book?
Sounds interesting.

This book is really fascinating. A lot of cultural interpretation but very thought-provoking analyses of Michael himself, his art, and artistry. I hope many people give it a read. This is the type of book I'd like to see actually published. An e-book is better than nothing. Looking forward to Vogel's tome also.

I read it...It was fantastic..Gave a different view to Michael's art than I ever thought before....Definitely worth a read...:)

I really hope her answer it's not something like "to unite people of all races" and stuff like that.

No, it's not what you think....It's a really, really interesting read...I was quite blown away....I didn't necessarily agree with everything she said, but that's not to say it's because what she said was bad or anything, quite the opposite...It very much relies on perception....It's really hard to explain; you have to read it ;)

No, it's not what you think....It's a really, really interesting read...I was quite blown away....I didn't necessarily agree with everything she said, but that's not to say it's because what she said was bad or anything, quite the opposite...It very much relies on perception....It's really hard to explain; you have to read it ;)

That sounds interesting. I'll try to read it :)

One point she makes with much analysis is that Michael didn't have as much plastic surgery as the media and tabloids made it seem and that he was for the most part telling the truth in his denials.

True, some things she writes I might question but it's not because it's all that bad. She just has an interesting perspective on things. She's very much pro-Michael.

Great read. I recommend it. :) Yeah, you just have to keep in mind her conclusions are based on her opinions, but it's thought provoking and positive.

That's only kindle edition available?

I hate kindle :sad:

Yeah, I think it's only Kindle..If you love to read, you'd love a Kindle...Keep in mind they're much cheaper now than when they first came out...I got mine when it first came out and I think it was about $250....They're much, much cheaper now :)

Hmmm sounds interesting..If you guys say it's positive then I might check it out sometime.

Reading it now. Great book! It offers very literary analysis of MJ's artistry, his place in society and American history. The kind of discourse that would be fitting for a university seminar.

IMO for everybody who is interested in Michael Jackson not just as a person they love, but also as an ultimate artist, a genius, and a culture shifter this book is a must. You may not agree with some of the author's conclusions (not that they are bad - just disputable), but you are free to make your own, and that's not the point. It's the questions and topics she raises that are really interesting and thought provoking. She voices many of the thoughts that I've been having over the last 2 years regarding Michael's role, choices and destiny, and develops them into a fascinating discussion. I'll probably give the book a more detailed review once I'm done with it.

The author also recently started a very promising blog: http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com

The book only exists in Kindle edition, but you can install Kindle software on PC, Mac or iPhone/iPad, so you don't necessarily need the actual device.

Last edited:
Now I am curious about this book - I have it already on my computer and will read it soon.:wild:

I just started reading this book. The way the writer interpreted the messages in TWYMMF is interesting. It gives me a new perspective when watching the film. It's much deeper than what I thought.

The more I learn about Michael, the more I admire him.

Going back to reading mode now.

Amazon.de sent it directly to my computer. I didn't need a kindle.

And, yes, it's absolutely worth reading.

Reading it now. Great book! The book only exists in Kindle edition, but you can install Kindle software on PC, Mac or iPhone/iPad, so you don't necessarily need the actual device.

Where did you order it from?
amazon.co.uk (where I have an account) delivers kindles only for british costumers.:sad:

Could you give me a link?

Last edited:
I am almost finished reading this. It took me so long because I kept taking long breaks. Anyway, what the author pointed out that I never really realized before was the influence Michael's videos such as Beat It and Bad had on people's impression of the inner cities. Using my hometown of NYC as an example, in the 1970's and 1980's this city was completely different than it is today. Lots of gang violence, decaying buildings, etc. Beat It and Bad were set in the inner city but both portrayed a sense of optimism and hope, creativity and art - things that people never associated with the inner cities before. In a nutshell the author says that because of these videos (or short films, sorry) people's opinions of the inner cities were changed. Sorry I'm not expressing myself very well, it's almost 3am hehe. Anyway, as a lifelong city dweller, here's another reason to be grateful to Michael. :)

^^it takes me a while to complete reading the book as well. I'm a slow reader and can get sidetracked to other book. Nevertheless, this is an interesting read. How come there isn't much discussion on this book?

Although I don't agree with some of the writer's interpretation, she definitely provides me a new way in appreciating Michael's work. The last chapter of the book is particularly thought provoking.

Michael was a powerful artist. I recommend this book and I'm glad I complete this one before starting Joe's MITM.

^^it takes me a while to complete reading the book as well. I'm a slow reader and can get sidetracked to other book. Nevertheless, this is an interesting read. How come there isn't much discussion on this book?

Although I don't agree with some of the writer's interpretation, she definitely provides me a new way in appreciating Michael's work. The last chapter of the book is particularly thought provoking.

Michael was a powerful artist. I recommend this book and I'm glad I complete this one before starting Joe's MITM.

Yes, the author does make you see Michael's work with a new appreciation and with a different perspective.

I'm normally a pretty fast reader but the problem is that now I'm reading using my smart phone and I forget I have the book loaded on it sometimes, lol.

I am almost finished reading this. It took me so long because I kept taking long breaks. Anyway, what the author pointed out that I never really realized before was the influence Michael's videos such as Beat It and Bad had on people's impression of the inner cities. Using my hometown of NYC as an example, in the 1970's and 1980's this city was completely different than it is today. Lots of gang violence, decaying buildings, etc. Beat It and Bad were set in the inner city but both portrayed a sense of optimism and hope, creativity and art - things that people never associated with the inner cities before. In a nutshell the author says that because of these videos (or short films, sorry) people's opinions of the inner cities were changed. Sorry I'm not expressing myself very well, it's almost 3am hehe. Anyway, as a lifelong city dweller, here's another reason to be grateful to Michael. :)

The author also discusses MJ's short films in context with the times in which they were made. For instance "Beat It" aired on MTV in the 80's when most of it's viewers were white suburbanites who looked down on the inner cities. He made the inner cities cool and he celebrated them as vibrant, creative places in his videos.

^^Yup. The way the author explained the short films with historical and social context enables me to see the videos a whole new way. I liked BAD and TWYMMF. Shamone! Michael was HOT in both!!! But, I admit I did not see the significance of the message. These are works from a phenomenal artist. I also appreciate her detailed observations in Scream and SIM.

Why did his skin become so pale? He explains why in his work.
...Did the writer have to go find that in his work? :scratch:
Sounds awkward.
I really hope her answer it's not something like "to unite people of all races" and stuff like that.
Well-said. If that's the case, the book is a disaster no matter how good the rest of it might be.

Except that part I quoted above, this sounds like an interesting read.
Something that can be used as a text for college courses that deal with culture studies.

I'm about halfway through the book and it's an interesting one. Generally I love her analysis, even though I don't agree with every single bit of her opinion. But she doesn't pretend to be a know-it-all on MJ, she just expresses her opinion and I think she provides a lot of interesting stuff to ponder.

Last night I read the chapter on how Michael was so unsettling for so many people because he blurred boundaries in terms of race, gender and sex. He didn't cross those boundaries - that somehow would be more easy to handle for people - but he blurred them. For example he used make up and sometimes would put on a female jacket but he wasn't a transvestite. He always remained a man and never wanted to be or tried to look like a woman. It was just that he blurred the boundaries of what a man is supposed to be or what a man is supposed to wear and he expanded the category to include and embrace traits those people in that category usually try to deny or repress in themselves because of what is socially acceptable or not acceptable. But he embraced these traits and included them and thus blurred boundaries. And many people find that threatening, because people like to think in clear categories (even though reality doesn't exist in clear categories) and when they have a difficulty to categorize something or somebody (as it was the case with MJ) that disturbs them. And this might be the root of some of the hostility against MJ.

Last night I read the chapter on how Michael was so unsettling for so many people because he blurred boundaries in terms of race, gender and sex. He didn't cross those boundaries - that somehow would be more easy to handle for people - but he blurred them. For example he used make up and sometimes would put on a female jacket but he wasn't a transvestite. He always remained a man and never wanted to be or tried to look like a woman. It was just that he blurred the boundaries of what a man is supposed to be or what a man is supposed to wear and he expanded the category to include and embrace traits those people in that category usually try to deny or repress in themselves because of what is socially acceptable or not acceptable. But he embraced these traits and included them and thus blurred boundaries. And many people find that threatening, because people like to think in clear categories (even though reality doesn't exist in clear categories) and when they have a difficulty to categorize something or somebody (as it was the case with MJ) that disturbs them. And this might be the root of some of the hostility against MJ.

Yes, and I never really thought about all that before he passed and I'm thinking about it even more while reading this book. He absolutely did blur many lines. Many people owe him a debt of gratitude for that.

Sometimes the author makes it sounds as if everything Michael ever did was carefully calculated and done with a purpose. But I'm not so sure about that. Many things he did were done that way but a lot of stuff was just Michael being Michael. I'm not sure how to articulate what I'm trying to say. But I'm almost at the end of the book and it's been intriguing.

The section where she talks about the time Michael came to court with bandages on his nose and I think the judge ordered him to remove them or something? And the next day it was over the tabloids. She says he purposely did this and got a kick out of the whole thing. I guess it's possible. I don't know the whole story about that day. Does anyone know?

Back