Lucy Pearl: Saadiq, Ali Shaheed, Dawn Robinson & Joi

arXter

Proud Member
Tony! Toni! Toné!, A Tribe Called Quest, and En Vogue wrapped into one. one of my favourite bands, it's a crime that they didn't release more music.

357nhx2.jpg

Dance Tonight

Lala

You feat. Q-Tip & Snoop Dogg

Without You (Dwele Remix)

I remember when 1st time I heard them on trevor Nelsons show on Radio One and then on The Lick. My fav song was Dance Tonight, I agree it is sad we never got that 2nd album. They were all extremely talanted.

I heard there was some ego problems, usually the reason groups break up.

I heard there was some ego problems, usually the reason groups break up.
interesting, between who? i don't quite see how a clash of egos could form in that collaboration.

here's Dawn performing Dance Tonight earlier this year with her own band:

just can't believe... Raphael and Dawn on one cd. goes on my must have list.

interesting, between who? i don't quite see how a clash of egos could form in that collaboration.
Ali Shaheed Muhammad (2006):
Marcus: That’s what I want to know. What happened with Lucy Pearl man ya’ll was funky! What’s really good?

AS: Yea, what’s really good? We put together what I felt was a great album. The idea came together from Raphael, D’Angelo and I working together. We used to say it would be hot if we did a group together and at the time that everyone was contractually able to do it D was like yo I can’t do it because I’m about to put out this Voodoo record and I want to focus on that. So Raphael and I wanted to continue making music together and putting it out there so Raphael came up with an idea of adding Dawn Robinson in and that’s how it came to be. Through the course of doing that Lucy Pearl was signed to Raphael’s label and there were certain business issues that were incorrect. That was one of the reasons Dawn became somewhat frustrated by the situation and later on so did I. After I left I really can’t say what happened with Lucy Pearl.

Jbutters: I was reading this article where Dawn was saying she got kicked out the group but it seems like you see where she was going with those kinds of issues looming. What happened with her exit because it seemed like she tried to pit it on both of ya’ll?

AS: What happened with her exit was we were about to go on tour to Europe and this was supposed to be our European run. The night before we left she said that’s it for her and that she was going to record her solo record. It was always planned for her to go record her solo record, but she said that’s it for me. So it was like we have an album that we still need to promote so do Raphael and I call it quits right here or do we keep going because this was an idea we had for like four years. He was thinking of a few different singers and we talked to a couple people and the person we winded up dealing with came. We didn’t tell Dawn that Joi was stepping in because we felt we didn’t need to tell her because she told us that she was done. I guess maybe what she meant to say was I’m not trying to be out the group but I need to move on. But what she communicated was after such and such date it’s done it’s a wrap. So to me that’s sounds like I’m finished. I saw that article too how she said she found out she was replaced when she read it. I don’t understand why she said that when she was in the room, her manager was in the room, and Raphael and I were there and all heard what she said so go figure.

Jbutters: In that same article she said how she was gonna write a book about Raphael Saadiq’s ego problems and all of that. It’s like damn you have such talented musicians why does all this stuff get in the way.

AS: No matter what type of situation you are dealing with people and their personalities. There are certain people that will cast aside all of their personal feelings to go get money or to realize the goal whether it’s to get money or to make music. There are certain personalities that can do that and some that can’t. For me I understood the gripes that Dawn had. The stuff that she was beefing about I was clear on it. It wasn’t rocket science. I understood completely where she was coming from and I identified with her. I just had a different way of expressing it. After she left the group, I spent two years of my life trying to work it out it and it came to a point for me where I was frustrated as well. Pookie Records has to answer to Lucy Pearl about certain things that are going down. Pookie Records had no answer and really Pookie Records is only two people, Raphael and his assistant. It came to the point where I’m seeing that the business is not right and our personal relationship is about to be affected by it so I opted to leave.

Marcus: Where did the name Lucy Pearl come from?

AS: That’s just Raphael. It just came out. We were just sitting there trying to come up with a name and everyone had all kinds of ideas and Raphael said Lucy Pearl. I think some of it is an homage Raphael paid toward his southern roots and the other half I don’t know what he thinks about sometimes. He said it and no one said no but no one said yes either. It was just like hmmm. So we lived with it for a week and it was really just everyone around us who was just like Lucy Pearl. It kinda like attached itself after he said it.

What a coincidence, I was listenin to this a couple o days ago. It's crazy how such groups break up like that. The music be off da chain!

Back