LOVE U Dolly, old but to me new

Janart

Proud Member
a woman that came from a very large family was poor and made it in this hard judging world speeks well of our dear MJ

This has been posted, but it was in the Michael tribute section that was up right after he passed.

I love Dolly :)
She is a beautiful woman, and her song "Jolene" is a fantastic song!! :wub:

yep. she is great. and she wrote Whitney Houston's signature song 'I Will Always Love You' and has a beautiful version of it, herself.

Dolly is a tremendous and underrated talent. Sure, she's a country queen but she's also a pioneer in many ways. She's one of the first country singers to cross over to mainstream pop and act in movies. She's such a sweet, warm, and genuine woman.

^^^^But the records that "crossed over" weren't really country, they were pop tunes like Potential New Boyfriend or 9 To 5. She had to change her sound to hit the Top 40. Jerry Reed, Mel Tillis, & Kris Kristofferson started acting in movies before Dolly did.

^^^^But the records that "crossed over" weren't really country, they were pop tunes like Potential New Boyfriend or 9 To 5. She had to change her sound to hit the Top 40. Jerry Reed, Mel Tillis, & Kris Kristofferson started acting in movies before Dolly did.

9 to 5 sounds country. it just happens to have a hook.

9 to 5 sounds country. it just happens to have a hook.
It's not country at all. The only reason it might sound country is because of Dolly's voice. She just has that southern accent when she sings, the same as Reba McEntire. Melissa Manchester, Olivia Newton John, and many other pop singers of the time could have sung it with the exact same music and it wouldn't sound country. Singers like the Pointer Sisters, Gloria Gaynor, or Natalie Cole could perform it as well.
it just happens to have a hook.
Many country songs have hooks, so I don't know what you mean by that.

It's not country at all. The only reason it might sound country is because of Dolly's voice. She just has that southern accent when she sings, the same as Reba McEntire. Melissa Manchester, Olivia Newton John, and many other pop singers of the time could have sung it with the exact same music and it wouldn't sound country. Singers like the Pointer Sisters, Gloria Gaynor, or Natalie Cole could perform it as well.

Dolly is a pioneer for women in country music. I would call it country pop (cuz that's what it is). Dolly did what Shania Twain later did which was make country music with a pop sensibility. Dolly did indeed cross over. This is only my opinion. Yes, it's a pop hit but it got country air play as well. It's a cross-over.

Dolly is a pioneer for women in country music. I would call it country pop (cuz that's what it is). Dolly did what Shania Twain later did which was make country music with a pop sensibility. Dolly did indeed cross over. This is only my opinion. Yes, it's a pop hit but it got country air play as well. It's a cross-over.
But when the pop audience stopped buying Dolly's music, she went back to traditional country & bluegrass, which she still releases today. Dolly's primary audience is country, so sure 9 To 5 got play there. It doesn't mean it's country. It's the same as Beat It & Dirty Diana getting airplay on R&B stations. It was Mike's primary audience, but if David Lee Roth or Billy Idol sang them or if Paul McCartney sang The Girl Is Mine solo, R&B stations wouldn't have played the songs. Shania is no more country than Lionel Richie is. Lionel has made country style songs, but is not a country singer. Shania is straight pop with twangy guitar added to the mix, just like most of the popular "country" acts of today. George Strait (who makes traditional country) has never crossed over.

ok..we're taking this too seriously. it's subjective. i say it's country, you say it's not. nothing new. lol. two different pro critics will disagree on the same thing. i'll leave it at this. whatever Dolly thinks she is, that's what she is.

Back