Lost tapes of Michael Jackson’s Moscow show found [Already released OLD News]

August 29, 2013 Klim Kolosov, special to RBTH

Russian filmmaker Ego Trubnikoff talks about Jackson’s strange tour experience in Moscow.

<aside class="extras">

</aside><figure class="article-visual horizontal">
AP96091801318_468.jpg
<figcaption class="caption">American popstar Michael Jackson makes a mock military salute, as he is surrounded by Russian army musicians on Moscow's World War II memorial, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 1996. Jackson will leave Moscow Wednesday, after he performed a concert of his 'History" world tour Tuesday. Source: AP</figcaption></figure>
Egor Trubnikoff — the international man of mystery of the Russian filmmaking scene — reveals the motives behind his provocative tribute documentary, which features hand-drawn courthouse comics, explicit talking heads, and priceless MJ-footage found on the dusty shelves amid an office shutdown.

It has been exactly 20 years now since the King of Pop caught Moscow by surprise a couple of weeks after being first publically accused of child abuse and a couple of weeks before the Red Army tanks fired on the Russian parliament as a last farewell to the Soviet era.

Michael Jackson, 35 at the time, touched down for just one show — but the real adventure was off-stage. The “Dangerous World Tour” was true to its name. The Trubnikoff movie has it all: the kids, the army and much more.

RBTH: So you keep saying it was a crate that was believed to be completely lost years ago — and you found those tapes [in it] while moving furniture?

Egor Trubnikoff: Almost, but not really. It wasn’t I who found it. It was the cameraman — the fellow behind the camera Jackson addressed ("You’re in a perfect place every time") when walking near the Red Square at night.

Video: King of Pop's adventures in Russia

He was, indeed, and thus, from these perfect angles, we’ve got a collection of shots never published: mostly outtakes and cut-offs of what the broadcaster normally takes; a gold mine for historical filmmaking, maybe even for making history.

RBTH: Mr. Jackson from these off-stage outtakes — what kind of person appears in this documentary? Was a dark side revealed?

E.T.: No dark side, no thriller, no clues for the trial — despite the sketches we use to replace missing or copyright-banned episodes. The impression Jackson left after his show is documented as complete and profound misunderstanding, even among the few Russian fans that existed 20 years ago and made their way to Moscow to see the show. If someone came from Mars, the miscommunication couldn’t be deeper.

In this swarm of partly cynical but mostly helpless admirers, Jackson stands as lonely as maybe never before and, afterward, wearing his fancy Peter Pan jacket and [standing] with a jar of homemade cherry jam.

We had to cut the scene where he stays on stage before the opening song, frozen as a still frame for several minutes; and it’s only the rain that makes you guess it’s a live picture, not a photograph.

This episode alone could stand for the entire movie. Alone, a stranger in Moscow: This is exactly how we see him. The people around him are not there, it’s only him. But, as he does not speak for himself, other persons do instead.

RBTH: The people interviewed, who are they? Why exactly them?

E.T.: They are all live witnesses with different angles: kids from the orphanage he visited, now all adults; a retired Russian pop-star who believes Jackson is from another planet; kids that became TV stars and musicians after visiting that show; people given a ticket for free in the crowd; organizers who barely survived the criminal pressure.
And, of course, Mr. Art Troitsky — the guru of pop music journalism who says that popularity should be measured by karaoke. I put them all together in the movie because they never met in real life, maybe only at that show 20 years ago.

RBTH: Any silent heroes that only show-off but do not talk?

E.T.: It’s the city of Moscow itself. After all the super hits and multi-diamond releases Michael landed by 1993, it seemed beyond any nightmare that a Jackson show could epically fail. It’s the Muscovites — the sincere and naïve Russians of the early post-perestroika — who made the impossible true, so that the Red Army was called in to fill the venue.

RBTH: Would Muscovites of today appreciate being portrayed this way, as those who made Jackson fail?

E.T.: Certainly not: Watching this video could be quite challenging for national pride and self-image. Not sure if the lesson has been learned. If the film and the show itself weren’t there, it could have saved quite a headache.

http://rbth.ru/arts/2013/08/29/lost_tapes_of_michael_jacksons_moscow_show_found_29359.html

Hope this concert is broadcasted some day just like the HIStory tour shows.

Well, I don't think he has the tapes of the show. He just talks about his documentary which was released in 2012: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...:+When+The+King+Of+Pop+Met+The+Soviets+(2012)

I have it. It doesn't have concert footage. It has footage of Michael visiting a Russian orphanage and when he got out of his car at the Red Square and made that photo that later was used as the cover of the Stranger in Moscow single. Some other small snippets too, but it's mainly just Russian organizers, pop stars, critics and fans talking about Michael.

It's an interesting docu - but it's at least as much about Russia in 1993 as about MJ.

Yes this was already released and is also much on youtube... strange he speaks like it was just found
maybe it was an old interview just being rehashed in the article

Thread title's a little misleading, but it was a really interesting documentary worth watching. I too wish we could see more from this concert than just the snippets.

Galactus123;3895310 said:
But he says:

"We had to cut the scene where he stays on stage before the opening song, frozen as a still frame for several minutes; and it&#8217;s only the rain that makes you guess it&#8217;s a live picture, not a photograph."

He only talks about just that one scene at the beginning of the concert. He doesn't say footage of the concert have been found or that he has the whole show.

Zakk;3895420 said:
hmmmmm, when they say tapes.. do they mean films or standard umatic/beta?? :/

I'm sure that they don't mean film. The show was recorded on tape format that was used on the tour(Estate should have it) and they could also have it on VHS like the Buenos Aires concert.

This Documentary was already released in 2012 or beginning of 2013. The same person (Egor Trubnikoff) in the interview above directed it. Thats why I say it is OLD news being rehashed in that article. We even discussed it here at MJJC back then and that is where we got the many pictures and the footage of MJ's visit to moscow

Jackson, Michael - Moscow Case 1993: When The King Of Pop Met The Soviets (2012)

The Moscow Case is a 52 minute documentary with never-before-seen footage of Michael Jackson in Moscow during the ""Dangerous"" tour. This film tells the behind the scenes story of Jackson's ill fated concert in September 1993. It includes unique archival footage showing Michael close up and personal while meeting fans and playing with orphan children. This documentary is valuable to anyone seeking insight into Jackson's personality as well as anyone interested in doing business in Russia after the end of communism. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...:+When+The+King+Of+Pop+Met+The+Soviets+(2012)

"Michael Jackson Moscow Case 1993," a documentary directed by Egor Trubnikoff.

The film was put together with footage that Emmy Award nominee Yuri Burak shot during Michael Jackson's historical concert in Moscow, on September 15, 1993. It begins at the Red Square, with Jackson posing for the camera, with St. Basil's Cathedral on the background. He was on the way to the airport. The film then takes us to the days preceding the concert, and all the preparations that took place. For this purpose, the filmmakers interviewed some key personnel to the event, like Ruslan Miroshnick (producer and technical director) and promoter Ilya Bachvrin. Their accounts were aided by Sergey Chaplygin (office assistant), DJ Kate Kandalina, and music guru Art Troitsky. All of them bring their unique views and perspectives about the concert.

[video=youtube_share;MojAHnbLaUc]http://youtu.be/MojAHnbLaUc[/video]
http://youtu.be/MojAHnbLaUc Jan 17, 2013
The Moscow Case is a 52 minute documentary with never-before-seen footage of Michael Jackson in Moscow during the "Dangerous" tour. This film tells the behind the scenes story of Jackson's ill fated concert in September 1993. It includes unique archival footage showing Michael close up and personal while meeting fans and playing with orphan children. This documentary is valuable to anyone seeking insight into Jackson's personality as well as anyone interested in doing business in Russia after the end of communism.

81wcpIwUKDL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, I remember watching it and remembering the wild times back then. And wished he had a better interpreter with him to explain the subtleties behind things. What it means when the orphanage gifts him the big jar of jam, a item for tea time. Especially in a time when people often lacked the most basic things. Kudos to Michael for coming because I too remember the general chaotic feeling in that time that could not have been lost on him. I remember traveling to Russia and Ukraine in all those years and I have a feeling there's a lot that was not explained to Michael. At least it inspired him to a wonderful song and I for one truly understand the sentiment, even being half "ex-soviet."
But man, I wished I could have been a fly on the wall or read his mind during that visit. Would have been fascinating if he had written an autobiography later on, revisiting those days.

I wished I had the time this summer to dig for my old VHS tapes where I recorded a German reporter in Moscow, interviewing people about the upcoming concert. His concert did make waves back then with TV stations from other countries reporting about it. Unfortunately they did not reporting of the actual concert, at least I don't recall any - and I was recording every snippet with his mentioning back then. But I do recall a number of interviewed folks mentioning that they would love to go if the ticket prices weren't that high.

It was just a wild time, people just living from day to day and somehow adjusting to constantly changing circumstances. He did achieve one thing - somehow now he is actually part of historical tales, as the one who dared to come. :D
Some voices may say that was an overly calculated move, but so be it. He did help shed a light on the situation of the orphanages in Eastern Europe, and that situation still continues to be extremely difficult to say the least.
My larger family also had experience with adoption in Ukraine, practically saying a little girl from starvation.

I therefore continue to hail Michael for having been one of those who forced the world to look.

^ And I suspect it was one of the "better" orphanages that they took Michael to...

Back