LOLITA from Adrian Lyne is my fav movie, tell us your!!!

Vard

Proud Member
Hello, My favorite movie is LOLITA the one with Jeremy Irons and Dominique Swain, its an adaptation from a book, its so moving, so sad, so true, every time I wacht this great movie i cry, not only that, I desperately cry, cant stop crying, i hide so nobody can see me, dont know why it causes me that, but it happens to me since the first time i saw it, i was about 14.
Ok i said my fav, now say yours, and comment why you like if you want to.

Here is info about this Great Movie LOLITA(1997)
Director:Adrian Lyne

Writers (WGA):Vladimir Nabokov (novel)
Stephen Schiff (screenplay)

Release Date:6 May 1999 (Argentina) more
Genre: Drama | Romance more
Tagline:A forbidden love. An unthinkable attraction. The ultimate price. more
Plot:A man marries his landlady so he can take advantage of her daughter.

Cast

Jeremy Irons ... Humbert Humbert

Melanie Griffith ... Charlotte Haze

Frank Langella ... Clare Quilty

Dominique Swain ... Dolores 'Lolita' Haze
Suzanne Shepherd ... Miss Pratt
Keith Reddin ... Reverend Rigger
Erin J. Dean ... Mona
Joan Glover ... Miss LaBone
Pat Pierre Perkins ... Louise (as Pat P. Perkins)

Ed Grady ... Dr. Melinik
Michael Goodwin ... Mr. Beale
Angela Paton ... Mrs. Holmes

Ben Silverstone ... Young Humbert Humbert
Emma Griffiths Malin ... Annabel Lee (as Emma Griffiths-Malin)
Ronald Pickup ... Young Humbert's Father

Hope you learn a little about this movie, Bye Vanesa (Vard)

Last edited:
Re: FAVORITE MOVIE/S, wich one is yours?

I have so many favorites. But one of my most favorite movie is Veer-Zaara. OMG that is such a great movie staring Preity Zinta and my beloved Shahruhk Khan. The movie is about these 2 lovers that have been a part for 22 years. I have seen that movie 7 times already and I still end up crying through out that movie. It is such a sad movie how they couldn't really be together because of where they come from. The songs in that movie are just as amazing as the movie itself.

I don't really have one that's my absolute favourite but I like Lord of the Rings -trilogy, The Dark Knight (actually that's my biggest favourite at the moment), Disney movies :D I just saw The first part of Chronicles of Narnia, I liked that one too :yes:

Can't get any other movies in my mind right now..

I don't really have one that's my absolute favourite but I like Lord of the Rings -trilogy, The Dark Knight (actually that's my biggest favourite at the moment), Disney movies :D I just saw The first part of Chronicles of Narnia, I liked that one too :yes:

Can't get any other movies in my mind right now..

The Dark Knight, i love that one.

I have so many favorites. But one of my most favorite movie is Veer-Zaara. OMG that is such a great movie staring Preity Zinta and my beloved Shahruhk Khan. The movie is about these 2 lovers that have been a part for 22 years. I have seen that movie 7 times already and I still end up crying through out that movie. It is such a sad movie how they couldn't really be together because of where they come from. The songs in that movie are just as amazing as the movie itself.

I HAVE to see this one, seems very moving

aww shahrukh is hooot! you like Devdas..i love that movie :yes:

other 10 favorites i can watch over and over again and not get so sick of is

Home alone
Father of the bride (steve martin version)
Planes, trains, and automobiles
Back to the future series
Niagara
Gentlemen prefer blondes
The long long trailer (desi arnaz and lucy) funnnnnnny
Batman (michael keaton)
Indiana jones (not the new one)
Beatlejuice

I have a few, mostly movies that makes me cry.
Color purple, it's so sad. :(
Moulin Rouge.
Human Trafficking :(:( One-to-watch!

And... a movie that is not so sad,
Moonwalker :D :D

I have a few, mostly movies that makes me cry.
Color purple, it's so sad. :(
Moulin Rouge.
Human Trafficking :(:( One-to-watch!

And... a movie that is not so sad,
Moonwalker :D :D

Color Purple its wonderful, Moulin Rouge is one of my favs
I used to love Indiana Jones, but is nice to see one in a while, reminds me of my childhood years,

I forgot to mention Memoirs of a Geisha, i love everything visually, the music, the story its awesome.

Well seems to me there arent that much movie lovers here, ok...

*Titanic
*shakespeare's romeo and juliet
*paris when it sizzles
*the wiz (even though it's so looong!)
*the little mermaid
*how to steal a million
*home alones
*jurassic parks
*E.T.- it's been coming on alot lately and ppl are sick of me watching it!! lol-especially cause I have it on tape!
oops! I forgot
*hook

Last edited:

Fair enough not to you, but technically, its better. There is no argument.

To me technically the one 1997 is better, but i dont wanna discuss, this feels like a who is right and who isnt, i mean come on girl? guess you are a girl.

*E.T.- it's been coming on alot lately and ppl are sick of me watching it!! lol-especially cause I have it on tape!

ohh yea thats a great movie..i watch it alot too. i still have my original 80s tape..im gonna keep it forever. i hate the remastered one where they make ET different and i think they took out small details like the guns out of polices hands when they were about to fly. ive been seeing this lame version on tv. i dont have the dvd so i hope they have the original on dvd. its an 80s movie so let it stay in its time frame. maybe make the movie clearer but dont change it! :no:

I only saw the very begining of that movie. I haven't gotten around to seeing the entire movie yet. But I know when I do I am going to love that movie since it has my beloved Shahruhk Khan in that movie.

oh my you should see it all the way through. its gorgeous. aishwarya rai and that other girl had great musical scenes like dola re dola. the music is good enough to listen by itself.

To me technically the one 1997 is better, but i dont wanna discuss, this feels like a who is right and who isnt, i mean come on girl? guess you are a girl.

1. I am a guy
2. Technically (and I am talking Cinematography, Mise-En-Scene) the original IS the better film, it is almost general knowledge to a film buff. Which brings me onto..
3. I am a film student, I didn't mention it before because I do not like to brag about it. However, you are not understanding my points.

It is absolutely fine to love a film and think that it is better, but when it comes down to technicalities, how the film is constructed, the richness of the mise-en-scene (what is in the scene), the fluidity and precision of the cinematography, there is no argument between the two films. Kubricks version is the definitive version, more acclaimed, more researched, more well known. The remake is good, its fine.. but it is still a remake. It is like saying the remake of Psycho is better than the original.. but who would say that? hahahaha!

519QYZX6P3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
00032045-522693_400.jpg

etrdrgn.jpg

1. I am a guy
2. Technically (and I am talking Cinematography, Mise-En-Scene) the original IS the better film, it is almost general knowledge to a film buff. Which brings me onto..
3. I am a film student, I didn't mention it before because I do not like to brag about it. However, you are not understanding my points.

It is absolutely fine to love a film and think that it is better, but when it comes down to technicalities, how the film is constructed, the richness of the mise-en-scene (what is in the scene), the fluidity and precision of the cinematography, there is no argument between the two films. Kubricks version is the definitive version, more acclaimed, more researched, more well known. The remake is good, its fine.. but it is still a remake. It is like saying the remake of Psycho is better than the original.. but who would say that? hahahaha!

Look, Psycho's Hitchcock its defenetly better than the remake, lets not bring anything just that easy. Lolita's Adrian Lyne its far more moving and controversial, and leaves you with a deep pain, its far more depresing, you keep on thinking after seeing it, not because its Kubricks, and has the whole name and everything, doesnt mean its better, i dont care if you are studying, i dont know your work, how can i know if you are good or not?, so that its nothing to me, sorry Lolita's Adrian Lyne is better, and much more realistic, period.

Last edited:

Look, Psycho's Hitchcock its defenetly better than the remake, lets not bring anything just that easy. Lolita's Adrian Lyne its far more moving and controversial, and leaves you with a deep pain, its far more depresing, you keep on thinking after seeing it, not because its Kubricks, and has the whole name and everything, doesnt mean its better, i dont care if you are studying, i dont know your work, how can i know if you are good or not?, so that its nothing to me, sorry Lolita's Adrian Lyne is better, and much more realistic, period.

Okay, so be it.

thats how it works man!!!

Another big one is Amadeus, love that one, and The Cable Guy.

My favorite movie is Requiem For A Dream, it's so sad :(

ps, Foxy, in regards to your siggy: I CAN'T WAIT FOR LOST!!

I also love SHINE from Scott Hicks, very real, sad movie, its amazing.

Okay I guess I should list my favourite films since all I am known for in this thread is upsetting the OP by hating on their film!

This list constantly changes:

Empire of the Sun
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Twelve Monkeys
28 Days Later
Barton Fink, O' Brother Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, The Big Lebowski
Pandoras Box
Rear Window, Psycho, North by Northwest
The Pianist
3:10 to Yuma
(James Mangold adaptation, ok Vard some remakes are better)
The Truman Show
The Machinist
Grindhouse
(entire version)
Terminator franchise
Alien Franchise
2001: A Space Odyssey
Band of Brothers
(mini series)
Jean Luc Godard Films
Charlie Chaplin's - City Lights

Okay some aren't listed films, more blocks by directors. But I respect and love some Auteurs such as Hitchcock, Godard, Polanski.. the list goes on.

This is literally scraping the ice of my favourite films, I could go on forever.
I am predominantly interested in Post-Apocalyptic cinema, so Escape From New York
and New Zealand's The Quiet Earth get honourable mentions.

Foxy you got a very good taste.
From the ones you name you remind me of some of my favotites that i sometimes forget
like:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Barton Fink, O' Brother Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, The Big Lebowski
The Pianist
The Machinist (+or-)

Now i got another one really good its The Elephant Man, i must admit the soundtrack make this movie a lot more emotional, if you can do it even more emotive than what it allready is.
The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, very very good one

Back