LNFSG - Two versions - MJs voice differ on both...

It's the same. The pitch was probably lowered a bit.

Anyone else notice this? In the Justin duet he sounds older as if it's a more recent recording than the original album track opener?

Only 1 demo tape exists, so the vocals are the same. Timbo just did better job with them.

In the solo version there is a hiss sound in the vocal part.. I hate that lol.

Same vocals, the tempo of the Timbaland version is a bit higher though, maybe that makes it sound different to you?

the voice sounds EQ'd on the solo version. too high treble -> hiss / clipping of the voice.
let timbo do the whole album next time ;)

(timbos version is far superior)

What annoys me is that the solo version doesn't have that ad-lib from MJ: "And the night, that is good(SO GOOD)...", something like that.
It's only on the JT version, right after JT says: "Michael..."

i cant help it, but when i listen to mclains version it hurts my ears.
this guy is the best at ruining something.

timbalands mix sounds just so smooth.

I think the solo version is closer to the original demo version.

Even if you filter it, you can hear it.

Last edited:
I have a free music software called "Audacity". If you click on "Vocal Remover" in the "Effects"-section, it will filter the song, and you can hear it.
But it won't remove the vocals entirely, the echoes of the vocals will be still present.

What annoys me is that the solo version doesn't have that ad-lib from MJ: "And the night, that is good(SO GOOD)...", something like that.
It's only on the JT version, right after JT says: "Michael..."

I know exactly what you're talking about. I wish that was on the solo version as well, as that's the version I still prefer, thus listen to the most. But that line sounds so great, I think that whole line is absent from the solo mix.

i cant help it, but when i listen to mclains version it hurts my ears.
this guy is the best at ruining something.

timbalands mix sounds just so smooth.

In the chorus Michael sings/screams so loud, it sounds so painful. In Timbos version it is so much quieter, that's also a reason why i prefer Timbalands mix. I have nothing against the solo version, but the vocals on the chorus is so loud.

There is a lower background vocal in the JT version. I'm not sure who's singing. It sounds like MJ yet we know there's only one recording.

And I agree about the adlib "SO GOOD!" is like the best part of the whole song. I think McClain just doesn't like mumbling lyrics -_-.

Edit: after filtering I think it's JT but it does blend with MJ very well.

Last edited:
I think, as others have stated, this is down to the production. It's safe to say that Timbaland is one of the 21st century's best producers and he's done wonders with what I've heard so far.

Yeah! What a annoying sound, WTF is that?

It's the hiss created by the tape, obviously. There is a way to make it sound smoother, and i'll be doing that for my iTunes when i import the CD.. ''Noise Removal'' choose ''isolate'' all in audacity, heightening the bass will help it also & lowering the treble a touch.

It's the hiss created by the tape, obviously. There is a way to make it sound smoother, and i'll be doing that for my iTunes when i import the CD.. ''Noise Removal'' choose ''isolate'' all in audacity, heightening the bass will help it also & lowering the treble a touch.

Ah, ok, the hiss was also on the demo, but I think it can be removed very easy, or not? Why they didn't do it?

PS: Sorry bad english

there is a constant noise on that track. it gets even more obvious with a good hifi setup.

horrible.

(still it's a good track of course)

It's really too bad about the mastering on the solo version -- there are definitely elements in that version that I prefer over the JT remix, especially the prominent piano and the guitar riffs during the chorus, but turn it up too loud and it becomes all distorted and noisy... And that hiss you guys are talking about (it's driving my girlfriend nuts), I think that's actually just an artifact of badly mastered percussion. It's not on Timbaland's version for as far as I can tell, so I don't think it's from the original demo.

Back