Live Blu-ray's (non MJ)

lom kit

Guests
I keep ask myself, are we ever going to see any live blu-ray of Michael.

Here are two examples of concerts recorded in the early 80's and 90's.

1. Queen Rock Montreal 1983 (with DTS-HD 5.1, LPCM 2.0)
2. The Rolling Stones: Live at the Max 1990 (on the blu-ray.com review it says it's filmed in IMAX)(with DTS-HD 5.1, LPCM 2.0)

And this aren't the only blu-rays released lately, of concerts recorded in the 80' & 90's.
See how clear the picture is?
I know that the "Ones" dvd has some amazing footage of Bad tour LA '89.
I know this been discussed thousend times. It's just disappointing.
I don't want dvd, we need blu-ray's. (please no discussion about blu-rays, it's just the next best thing at the moment).

Janet's "Rhythm Nation Tour" wasn't released on dvd, cause the rights holds the japanes companys JAL & Nec.

Madonnas "Blond Ambition Tour" wasn't released on dvd, because Pioneer has the rights to the recorded concerts. They released only Laser disks of two concerts in the 90's.

And Michaels situation is unknown.

So, yes we are missing alot.
And you know what, when the Moonwalker blu-ray (france) comes out next year and if it's done some nice transfer like on the dvd, it's going to be even more sad that no concerts or musicvideos aren't re-mastered/restored.

The point of this is, that it is possible. Just we have to "keep the faith". right? :)

click on screens (they are in 720p, imagine how they look in 1080p):

1408_4_large.jpg

1408_6_large.jpg

2168_9_large.jpg

2168_2_large.jpg

2168_1_large.jpg

2168_7_large.jpg

OMG great quality! I wish we had a MJ tour in blu-ray!

It all depends on how the footage was shot. I am not aware of any Bad or Dangerous concert fully shot on film. There were some segments of Bad shot on film for Man in the mirror (Moonwalker version) and Another part of me (Video). But I think they were all shot on video, which means they will remain in 480P forever ;o( But the footage can be remastered to look very nice.

There were a few HIStory concerts shot on early HD tech video. Those were shot in 1080i I think.

It all depends on how the footage was shot. I am not aware of any Bad or Dangerous concert fully shot on film. There were some segments of Bad shot on film for Man in the mirror (Moonwalker version) and Another part of me (Video). But I think they were all shot on video, which means they will remain in 480P forever ;o( But the footage can be remastered to look very nice.

There were a few HIStory concerts shot on early HD tech video. Those were shot in 1080i I think.

Well nobody knows how the concerts were shot. The only confirmed info is that all MJ World Tour concerts were professionally filmed.

All I can say is any full concert of Bad and Dangerous I have ever seen has been Video, and while I haven't seen them all by any means, I have seen quite a few. You can tell by the way it looks whether it was film or video, and while it was definantly shot with pro high quality cameras, it was still video. It is entirely possible that a concert was shot on film, but other than the 2 segments from Bad I mentioned before, I have never seen anything shot on film from these concerts.

Shooting film (especially in those days) is an expensive process, and usually a specific concert date is chosen to film, not the entire tour. (I am refering to "Filming" the concert, I am aware that all the shows were recorded in some way,probably video) Even MJ wouldn't have spent the money to shoot every Bad concert on film. The tour probably wouldn't have broke even. The film alone would require TONS of cash.

Last edited:
All I can say is any full concert of Bad and Dangerous I have ever seen has been Video, and while I haven't seen them all by any means, I have seen quite a few. You can tell by the way it looks whether it was film or video, and while it was definantly shot with pro high quality cameras, it was still video. It is entirely possible that a concert was shot on film, but other than the 2 segments from Bad I mentioned before, I have never seen anything shot on film from these concerts.

Shooting film (especially in those days) is an expensive process, and usually a specific concert date is chosen to film, not the entire tour. (I am refering to "Filming" the concert, I am aware that all the shows were recorded in some way,probably video) Even MJ wouldn't have spent the money to shoot every Bad concert on film. The tour probably wouldn't have broke even. The film alone would require TONS of cash.

In the Bad LA'89 thread, some claiming that from the Bad tour two are recorded professionally, the last bad concert and one of the Wembley ones. But the question is, like you said, was it on film or video.
The Moonwalker sequenz has shots from few different nights, we can say for sure it's 2 nights. With one and more crowd shots with the beginning of a concert, cause there are some daylight shots.
So i assume these 2 nights are filmed entirely. Of course the crowd shots could be from some total different days, but if you notice the open-air one has daylight and night shots.

I remenber reading that Pink Floyd regret, that they didn't film the "Pulse" concert on film, when released on dvd. So hope Michael smart enough to film at least one concert in full on film.

Most likely the reason EVERY concert was shot, was because there were live video screens in the show. Mostly because the concerts were so huge, the video screens served as away to let the far away seats not miss anything. I'm sure the feed of this was kept. Being the reason why every show is documented. There really needs to be a BAD tour dvd. It's amazing it has never been released.

Back