Little Susie

vinniram

Proud Member
I always thought Little Susie was an underappreciated gem of a song on Michael's HIStory album. From the haunting chorus at the start, to the powerful second half of the song, it sounds very "Russian" to me :p I love the imagery associated with the HIStory era, the militaristic images, the HIStory statues - and I really think Little Susie encapsulates the feel of the era, in recounting the tragedy of a girl who has died alone. So, let's discuss this amazing but underappreciated song! :)

Little Susie was originally recorded with orchestra (which I believe Geoff Grace arranged), then later revamp'ed and re-orchestrated by Steve Porcaro. I think after the track was done MJ decided to change the key or tempo. Not sure which. So Steve was called in to redo it - all synths this time !!! With Andrew Scheps doing the programming.

The music box is a sample Andrew and I made. We bought a bunch of music boxes, tore them apart and created a sample set in the EIIIxp. DPA 4006 into 1084 if I recall correctly. Brad Buxer then played the part in the intro. Little girl was called in to hum the melody of the music box. Door opening and footsteps were foley.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4344444-post247.html

I love Michael Jackson's music but for me, the HIStory era did nothing. I bought the cd when it came out and probably listened to it a couple times. I like Scream. I like You're Not Alone. But other than that, nothing on that cd did anything for me. That was the first time ever I bought a Michael Jackson cd and was left disappointed.

I love HIStory and especially the songs

Scream, They don't care about us, Stranger in Moscow, Earth song, You are not alone, History, Little Susie and Smile :) IMHO an amazing album...

I love HIStory and especially the songs

Scream, They don't care about us, Stranger in Moscow, Earth song, You are not alone, History, Little Susie and Smile :) IMHO an amazing album...

childhood is another greatone >> history disc 2 is amazing and soo personal to mike

ah you're missing a few hits! This Time Around (so dark), Tabloid Junkie (F@CK THE MEDIA!!!), Money (shows MJ's satirical side ;)), D.S. (God I love that song, especially how it has a very intended real-life target, slash helping on guitar), and HIStory (the original is cool, and the remix is just insanely good). Just an alround beautiful album, which I think was really underappreciated by the tabloid junkies worldwide ;). It's a fighting album, showing MJ ain't gonna take no sh@t from the media. Tabloid Junkie and This Time Around are definately direct sequels to that beautiful, crazily good and insanely awesome song "Leave Me Alone" from Bad :). ah, enough ranting haha.

It's a brilliant song in every respect and it's very dramatic. Nothing else like it from any pop artist, that's for sure. It's the type of song that would never be played on the radio in a million years but will constantly be in rotation on my personal playlist because it's a joy to listen to. Can you picture one of these pop artists of today crafting a song even approaching something like Little Susie? No, and that's precisely what made Michael so great. He did the unexpected, he was exciting.

so true - "pop" doesn't really do Michael's music any justice at all. His music drew inspiration from things as diverse as opera and swahili, and all cultures, so I really think it's so much more than the word "pop" suggests. Michael's music is just music, pure and simple.

My thoughts exactly and that's why I never protest when people call Michael the king of music instead of the king of pop. Michael wasn't just one genre, he did a bit of everything.

Back